Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio SIRIUS with NAV in MCSc

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SIRIUS with NAV in MCSc

Hey all -

Just put in my order yesterday for my first Mini (CR MCSc) and spec-ed out the NAV system. Of course, I had the service manager give me the talk about it being incompatible with Sirius, which I also desperately want. He said that it conflicts not only in not having the antenna to share but also would not work because of a "port conflict" - I have not heard this before but notice how so many people have retrofit the OEM Sirius and got it to work just fine.

I have two questions regarding my self-install of the OEM Sirius -

1. Does this shop manager have a point about "port conflicts"? I am also spec-ing out the Ipod connector which I believe works through the AUX port. Is there any problem with a Sirius self-install other than the antenna issue?

2. I have read that in sedans, the receiver unit is mounted in the boot behind a panel on the left while wired to the CD magazine port on the right side of the boot, However, is the setup in the boot the same for convertibles? I read that you need to remove the full panel on the right and get behind some foam rubber insulation to get to the magazine connector. Any other considerations for a convertible install?

I have seven weeks (less one day) to wait for my new Mini but want to plan out the Sirius install - and get the parts - now since this is a critical mod to the car.

Appreciate any perspectives on this -

Thanks -

Bill

Old 11-24-2005, 04:08 AM
mdreuben
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no port conflict. What there is is an antenna conflict. The antenna used for NAV can not also contain the Sirius antenna. That is the ONLY reason why Mini dosen't offer it. Seems kind of silly, as the type of person that would order NAV is also one that would order Sirius.

Not a hard workaround, and lots of people have done it.

From your dealer, purchase the Sirius receiver which you will mount in the compartment on the left side of the boot. The brackets are provided with the receiver kit. You will also need the cable that runs from the CD changer connector on the right side of the boot to the Sirius receiver on the left side.

From Crutchfield or somewhere, purchase the Terk Mini Sirius antenna. It's magnetic and you'll put it on the roof right behind the main antenna. Route the cable inside and down the left side molding to the receiver. Plug it in to the receiver. (There's a two wire to single wire antenna adapter provided with the Sirius kit).

Now for the magic part. All you have to do is turn on your head unit and it will automatically recognize the Sirius receiver. Call Sirius to start service (you usually get 3 months free when they know it's a new Mini install).

Old 11-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Thanks! I thought that the port conflict story sounded a little too convenient and that the problem really boils down to the lack of an antenna option serving radio / NAV / satellite together. I feel confident from what I read here in buying the unit and fitting it myself - even the dealer admitted that a lot of people have found a way to get Sirius themselves :impatient.

What I am still curious about is the fitting of the receiver and cabling in the MCS Convertible - I think I have heard that the boot area is different from the sedan and that there are not access panels - but that the CD player connector is still located somewhere in the right rear of the boot. Is there an access panel in the rear for either access to the CD connector (on the right) or the place where the Sirius receiver is supposed to be mounted (on the left)?

I really appreciate all the help and insight of this forum - I am not sure where anyone could gather such a wealth of information other than here.

One week down ...

Bill

Old 11-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I just had SIRIUS installed in my MCS on Tuesday. I have Nav too, and H/K. You do indeed simply need an aftermarket antenna, and the TERK one (model is "SIR-MINI") is ideal... about $35. You will ALSO need the TERK dual-input to single-input splitter (model is "SIR-SP"), which costs about $15. The splitter is necessary because the OEM SIRIUS receiver is an older dual-input model, but the SIR-MINI antenna is a newer single-connection design.

I bought both parts from etronics.com for only $50, plus shipping.

Now, if you have H/K, you will also need a special cable to move the SIRIUS receiver from the right side of the car to the left, since the H/K amplifier(s) take up the compartment space on the right side. I am not sure if the setup is exactly the same for the Cabrio, but I would expect as much. The "1.5m Extension Cable (H/K)" cable is explained and listed on the official installation instructions. If you want to buy it in advance, the part number is 84 11 0 150 533. There is also a special "1.5m CDC Extension Cable" if you have the CD changer - that part number is 84 11 0 150 532. I imagine that due to lack of space, you can't easily have all three (H/K, CD changer, SIRIUS), unless you mount the SIRIUS receiver in a totally different place in your boot.

I have a scanned copy of the latest official OEM SIRIUS installation instructions, if you are interested. I sent them to Gabe on MotoringFile last week, but he hasn't had time to post them yet. Unfortunately the instructions are dated March 2003, so there is no mention of the Cabrio, but I expect that you can just pop open the access panels in the back and determine the setup.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:26 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I was poking around my cabrio boot to look before I start my projects to install a rear camera and fog light mods. There are no "access panels" in the boot of the cabrio, and it isn't obvious how to get behind the side trim panels. I had to look up the information on the BMW TIS service manual CD-ROM that I purchased on Ebay. The entire side trim panels must be removed to access anything behind them, and to allow that to happen, you first remove the trim around the boot lid. I was surprised at how involved it is compared to the hardtop, which has an easy access panel.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:19 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Wow, that sucks. Any self-performed work done on the Cabrio will clearly need to take that into account. I wonder if the wiring is the same anyway, once you remove the trim? I guess you'd need to ask someone who has looked at them both closely.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
I rounded up the following quotes from this forum regarding installation of the Sirius receiver in the Cabrio boot. It seems to be a much more complicated process - antenna aside - and I am starting to think that the sedan system of "CD changer attachment on the right and Sirius receiver install on the left" doesn't apply. The CD changer attachment is still on the right but people seem to be putting the Sirius receiver wherever it will fit. Would appreciate any additional prespectives, warnings, or cautions about this project for the MCS Cabrio -

Originally Posted by GeorgefromAmherst
Yes, I did but it was a bit of a hassle, though. I used the Blitzsafe adaptor, but I had to pay $250 for the adaptor/XM direct package. It was pretty difficult getting to the wiring in the right side of the boot. No door at all like the MC and MCS. I plugged in the hardware, just like the instructions said - no problem. I tried the antenna a bunch of places inside, but none was at all satisfactory. So I went to Circuit City and had it done by people who knew what they were doing. In a half hour and for $34, they installed it on the black shiny piece above the windshield. It works great - as well as my wife's Acura with factory installation.
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
Connections for the Blitzsafe are in the boot at the approximate location that they are for the tin top. However, you need to remove the molded felt(?) covered interior piece on the right side along with the rubber insulation. The connections will be found right behind the right rear seat.

I installed the antenna beside the OEM on the A pillar, routed inside, down the right side of the interior and to the boot.

There is a link to the installation and will try to find it when I have a bit of time...

edit: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45412&highlight=blitzsafe <this may be what you are looking for.
Originally Posted by Call
Purchased the Blitzsafe adapter and xm direct from Classic MINI of Ohio for $199. Opened boot, looked to right inside where a black screw is clearly located, removed it and the plastic cover, then removed the the insulation material and saw nice and neatly the cd changer wire. Pluged in the Blitzsafe adapter (it will only go one way) then plugged the rca jacks into the xm direct, then plugged the antennae wire into the xm direct. I ran the wire out the back, between the rubber seals and simply placed it above my right rear tail light. Works great with zero problems. Some have said they do not like this location. It is fine with me. I never look there except to clean the car. And no leaks. Total time of install...15 minutes.
Originally Posted by indimini
Blitzsafe and XM Direct fit in the boot pretty cleanly. I was able to get the Blitzsafe hidden inside the boot liner on the passenger side and have the tuner in the space above the rear wheel well. I mounted the antenna just above the right rear light cluster. It works great!

[img]../gallery/data/500/1892antenna_mount-med.JPG[/img]
Originally Posted by indimini
I've done XM Direct/Blitzsafe on my MCSC. The cables for the connection to the Blitzsafe are hidden a bit ore than on a non-convertible. Basically, they are behind the trunk (boot) liner on the passenger side just behind the rear seat. You need to be able to move the liner back to get to the cables. When I first started the install, I took off some of the rear plastic trim to make removal of the liner easier. You can probably get by with just removing the screw on the liner and flexing the material - it bends pretty easily.

I was able to hide the Blitzsafe inside the liner once it was attached and I ran the lines to the XM Direct tunerout the top of the liner. The XM Direct sits in the space above the rear wheel well. If you put it there, you may want to use velcro to fasten it.

I have the antenna mounted over the right rear light assembly. I've had no issues with reception loss from there and it is easy to pop back into the trunk if you are leaving the car parked for a long time at a public lot. I'd also suggest felt or some other soft backing if you put the antenna there so it won'ts scratch your paint.

When the weather gets warmer, I want to see about routing the antenna to the front of the car, placing it next to the factory antenna.

Let me know if you have questions. I can try and take some pics of my install if that would help.
Originally Posted by Addsy77
In the MCC, the hardest part of the install is getting to that cd-wiring. The cd-changer wiring is not accessible from a panel in the boot. You must remove the interior side panel that covers the passenger side of the boot. The harness is down at the bottom, near the rear seat, and it can't be reached w/o removing the interior of the boot. Also, I couldn't find a location to hide the XM tuner, so I placed it out of the way up on the shelf. The cabrio top has no problem going up or down with it placed there. Also, if you take a look at my pics, you can see that I put the antenna above the rear light and it gets good reception.

Happy motoring!

http://webpages.charter.net/tprado/mcc/

Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I can only speak for my 03 with Nav but the Blitzsafe Sirius system hooked up in under 10 minutes and another 10 to activate online. No cutting, splicing, just plug the proper cable into HK and round puck antennae up onto the roof directly behind the aerial

Old 02-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
OK -

Picking up my MINI on Saturday morning and I just wanted to double check on the question I asked in this thread so long ago...

Since the Sirius connector for the Cabrio is so buried (under access panel or seat somewhere) I asked the dealer - if they couldn't install Sirius - perhaps they could at least install the Sirius cable to the connector and I would handle the rest.... No dice... They are still warning of "port conflicts" and saying they cannot hook up Sirius when you have NAV and/or iPod connector.

I am pretty confident that this is BS - and that the only conflict is antenna sharing - but wanted to confirm again that people are happlily living with both NAV and iPod as well as Sirius without smoke coming from the head unit...

I will probably order the whole Sirius setup from Classic MINI and install myself....

Please let me know that I am safe going in this direction !! Thanks !!

Bill

Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Bill,

The only "gotcha" in your scenario that I can think of is that whether the OEM iPod connector uses the CD changer input on the back of the head unit (i.e. replaces the CD changer cable). I don't know the definitive answer, since I don't have the OEM iPod connector... but even if the OEM iPod connector DOES use the CD changer input, perhaps it can be plugged in directly into the end of the CD changer cable instead of the head unit?

I can tell you that having the Nav has NO electrical or port conflict with the Sirius reciever at ALL. The only concern is definitely the antenna.

I have the three items you mentioned - factory Nav, OEM Sirius, and iPod... the only difference in your proposal is that I am using the Aux input for my iPod. I know that solutions like the Dension IceLink can be used with the OEM Sirius too, since the Sirius receiver has a "pass through" ablility to continue on to a CD changer (or CD changer replacement like the IceLink).

Best of luck! Sorry if I beat a dead horse at all with this post.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Edge -

No problems at all, man, and thanks for the analysis. Actually, I suspect that the OEM iPod uses the Aux port and not the CD changer - since I wanted the Aux port AND the iPod and was told that I had to choose one or the other when I specced things out.

I think I am confident enough to order the parts and try this out - provided I can easily locate the CD connector on the cabrio...! I will probably try for a dash mount on the Terk antenna - or perhaps something on the roll bars in the back - cloth roof is supposed to be no barrier to the antenna...

I may enjoy the car for a little bit before trying this out - want to get a good Zaino coat on it and basically just enjoy the car for a while. The only planned mods for now are the Sirius and the new Randy Webb extreme sway bar....

Thanks !

Bill