Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Help with H/K Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:53 AM
KassMotorsports
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with H/K Audio Upgrade

Hi,

I have the H/K audio system in my car, and I want to upgrade just the speakers and the amp. I've heard that you have to upgrade the head unit at the same time.

Has anyone upgraded just their speakers and amp without changing the head unit? I'm just wondering if the guy at the stereo shop wants me to buy something else!

Thanks in advance,

David Kassar.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:07 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Moderators: Please move this thread to the Navagation & Audio forum

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2005, 12:15 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Not sure if this is really necessary, but that would definitely be a good idea. Simply replacing the HU will make your car sound better than leaving the factory HU and replacing the speakers/amp. If you have the steering wheel with audio controls, most Alpine decks will work with those, so that would be the way to go.

If you really want the factory HU, maybe the H/K amp only works with the H/K HU, which is why replacing the HU becomes necessary, in which case you could get away with just replacing the speakers... you won't notice nearly as much of a difference in sound quality unless you replace everything though.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:28 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
g00d thin' i saw this.........

i wuz lookin' into this meself & it seems that H/K has made their components to werk well w/each other so if only speakers or amps are changed the sound quality will be 'regular':impatient
;
;
;
anyone else ??

Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
so if only speakers or amps are changed the sound quality will be 'regular'
It's not as simple as system synergy in the traditional sense. Example: just replacing the amp alone won't just sound 'regular', it will not WORK at all.

Do a search for "HK Enabler" - there IS a way to change specific parts of the HK system, but you have to really understand and plan the integration of non-HK pieces with this 'system' due to it's unique engineering (2-ohm speakers, the digital sound processing amp, the volume control changes the amp's output, not the headunit's, etc.).

Remember also that the particular combination of settings you select on a stock HK unit can significantly affect it's max output and boominess. That is a regular complaint here, and there are many threads in the Navigation & Audio Forum here worth reading that could help.

Good luck...

Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
thx for the help

thx.
i really should spend more time in the audio forum....
in the past i attended many bass out competition's ( my all time favorite 10" kickers) but ever since the need for speed i have not the great desire anymore.
but do want to improve on the weak HK system!!!!
Originally Posted by Coopernicus
It's not as simple as system synergy in the traditional sense. Example: just replacing the amp alone won't just sound 'regular', it will not WORK at all.

Do a search for "HK Enabler" - there IS a way to change specific parts of the HK system, but you have to really understand and plan the integration of non-HK pieces with this 'system' due to it's unique engineering (2-ohm speakers, the digital sound processing amp, the volume control changes the amp's output, not the headunit's, etc.).

Remember also that the particular combination of settings you select on a stock HK unit can significantly affect it's max output and boominess. That is a regular complaint here, and there are many threads in the Navigation & Audio Forum here worth reading that could help.

Good luck...