Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Show pics of your subwoofer install!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Bertha Cooper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trunk ideas

I did a quick flip through the pages and there are some good ideas out there. If you are looking to keep some trunk space, then building up the trunk floor a bit would be the way to go. You can probably fit an amp under the new flooring with a sub to the side. I got done last year with a 10" Image dynamic sub in a fiberglass enclosure with 2 Alpine PDX's, a Stinger cap (in pic below) and under those, concealed, is the component crossovers, ground block and fuse block. I am currently working on painting the amp enclosure red to match the exterior and an carpeted lid with plexi glass. Not like I would probably put anything in the trunk but at least I know I can.

Has anyone had issues with the inside front door panels rattling no matter how much you dynamat it? I had to fashion a bracket out of MDF and noticed the rattling after install. Then I took them out and fiberglass them to make them more rigid, then dynamated them and still rattle (pic below). It does not rattle as much when it is hot out but it is definitely the door panel because when I push it in near the speaker it subsides. Has anyone relocated their front components to another location like on top of the dash?

Name:  DSC03542.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  116.5 KB
Name:  DSC03538.jpg
Views: 2047
Size:  169.4 KB

Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
benzoc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
These are all cool sub woofer installs, but ill post a new threat when i get my 18'' Fi installed

Old 05-31-2009, 04:01 PM
benzoc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Woops didnt mean threat! lol meant thread*

Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 PM
midoco
1st Gear
simple

Here's mine. Nothing special... just a fosgate 12" and a punch 40 for a little fill

Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What do you guys make of the Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer? Anyone have it?

It think I could get it to fit on a small shelf I can build above my amp in my trunk. I don't want boominess, just filled in sound. I can boost the gain on my rear speakers with my amp to get the amount of bass I want, but then there is an audible amplifier fuzz from the speakers. I have 6x9 2way kappas back there btw.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Bertha Cooper
1st Gear
I am a fan of rear speakers but with the mini's it is not really needed. You can add in the Boss low profile amp/sub but I do not know how good it is. It might be even more beneficial (maybe not cost wise) to buy a really good 8-10" sub (JL or Image Dynamics) and there are Cooper sub boxes out there that conform to the side of the trunk. I have the Alpine PDX amps and they could fit almost anywhere like under the passenger seat. I don't know what you have as far as front speakers but if you were to get some kick as components like focals or mb quarts it makes all the difference when you get those nice mid bass tones with a little sub filler.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Act_04
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nabeshin
It think I could get it to fit on a small shelf I can build above my amp in my trunk. I don't want boominess, just filled in sound. I can boost the gain on my rear speakers with my amp to get the amount of bass I want, but then there is an audible amplifier fuzz from the speakers. I have 6x9 2way kappas back there btw.
If your amplifier is grounded near your battery ground it can create noise in your speakers. Also, if you have power wire running alongside your signal wire it can create noise. It may just be gremlins in your amplifier though.

Not sure if any of those are really your problem, but they are things to check.

Also, JL makes what they call a stealthbox that will give you the quality punch you are looking for.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:53 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Act_04
If your amplifier is grounded near your battery ground it can create noise in your speakers. Also, if you have power wire running alongside your signal wire it can create noise. It may just be gremlins in your amplifier though.

Not sure if any of those are really your problem, but they are things to check.

Also, JL makes what they call a stealthbox that will give you the quality punch you are looking for.
My amp already takes up as much space in the trunk as I can spare, though I could mount it elsewhere since it's an Alpine PDX.

It is actually grounded to the same spot as the battery... Local car audio shops said it would be fine.

The amp power wire is only a few feet long, but the signal wires are away from the main lines of the car. I put them along the right side, the left had more wires and the bigger red cable, so I avoided it.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Act_04
4th Gear
Grounding to the same location as the battery can create engine noise. It doesn't seem like that is the same as the noise you are hearing though because engine noise wouldn't be a constant fuzz. How high are you turning up the gain from your amplifier?

You don't have the Harman/Kardon system do you?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Fireproof
2nd Gear
Here you go...

Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your subwoofer install!-funny-dog-pictures-sub-woofers.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Revo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fireproof
Here you go...
Nice!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 PM
StJamesG8
2nd Gear
Hey guys,
I'm not sure if this is appropriate, so please let me know if it's a problem. But when I posted my install I got good feedback. Since then, my car is "no longer with us" so the setup is posted over in the market

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ate/1220732814

Feel free to check it out or pm me if you're interested.

Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your subwoofer install!-img_1118.jpg  
Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
aerodynamics
2nd Gear
There was a post a few pages back about mounting an 8" Image Dynamics free-air sub in the factory 6x9 location. ID no longer makes this, neither does JL, but assuming I can get my hands on one or two, how would this sound?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
I've been thinking that im going to probably remove my rear seats bc i hate putting people back there. So that would free up a ton of room for an audio setup. Any suggestions? Anymore pics of this setup? Preferably on a R56? thanks in advance

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM
AnnJones
3rd Gear
8" subs

I also did a rear seat delete simply because I don't carry people back there. I had previously done a sub woofer install.
I carry stuff a LOT, and maintaining cargo space was and is important to me.
I put a 200watt 2 channel amp (bridged for 400 watts) under the drivers seat. I used fiber glass and mesh to fully seal the area where the 6 X 9's had been (about 1 cubic ft).
The 8' subs are not full range speakers, only bass. They "just" fit behind the stock grilles. I don't turn it up enough to annoy any one, but it will provide some really deep base IF your source has it. Think Kodo drums...

Ann

Old 07-15-2009, 06:29 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Thats interesting, how does it sound with only bass coming from behind you? I feel like it would retract from the stereo sound with only bass coming from the rear.

How is it with the rear seat delete? I feel like i would be happier without having to stuff people back there and would welcome the slight weight reduction!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM
aerodynamics
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AnnJones
I used fiber glass and mesh to fully seal the area where the 6 X 9's had been (about 1 cubic ft).
Are you saying you built a fiberglass enclosure inside the factory 6x9 area? If so, that would be a very interesting install that I'd like to see pics of.

*edit*
nvm, found a pic in your gallery. A very unique approach. Did you have to cut into the factory metal at all?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Cudda_Kine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AnnJones
I also did a rear seat delete simply because I don't carry people back there. I had previously done a sub woofer install.
I carry stuff a LOT, and maintaining cargo space was and is important to me.
I put a 200watt 2 channel amp (bridged for 400 watts) under the drivers seat. I used fiber glass and mesh to fully seal the area where the 6 X 9's had been (about 1 cubic ft).
The 8' subs are not full range speakers, only bass. They "just" fit behind the stock grilles. I don't turn it up enough to annoy any one, but it will provide some really deep base IF your source has it. Think Kodo drums...

Ann
How thick is the material on the rear seat kit? I need one that is very thin (Less than a inch prefered).

Old 07-24-2009, 05:23 AM
AnnJones
3rd Gear
subs

Yes, i Did have to cut into the metal to mount the 8" Elemental Designs subs. They are Larger than the 6 X 9's.

I made my own rear seat delete. I used 1/2" ply covered with thin carpet. It only covers the bottom seat area and sets very low. It drops over the bottom seat cushion clips. I put a raised lip at the front edge and also have a Lexus cargo net.

Ann

Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM
dirt4dinner
Neutral
Very simple and very clean. Exactly what I wanted. TMA amp, with a 10" Kicker. Custom down fire box, trimmed out to a level false floor. I went with a JVC deck that has the front USB port...having all my tunes on a flash drive is the best thing ever! I am very happy with the install, and it sounds terrific using the stock H/K speakers with new crossovers installed.

Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your subwoofer install!-mini-system-003.jpg   Show pics of your subwoofer install!-mini-system-001.jpg   Show pics of your subwoofer install!-mini-system-004.jpg  
Old 08-04-2009, 02:50 PM
evoq007
1st Gear
Looks fantastic! Thats exactly what im lookin to do with my install. How deep is the kicker if you dont mind me asking?

Originally Posted by dirt4dinner
Very simple and very clean. Exactly what I wanted. TMA amp, with a 10" Kicker. Custom down fire box, trimmed out to a level false floor. I went with a JVC deck that has the front USB port...having all my tunes on a flash drive is the best thing ever! I am very happy with the install, and it sounds terrific using the stock H/K speakers with new crossovers installed.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:08 PM
dirt4dinner
Neutral
I actually don't have any idea. I never saw the sub, and I don't have a part number.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 AM
j.p.
1st Gear
'crappy at night time with flash' pic of mine

Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your subwoofer install!-100_5818_-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
smlzilla
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
thats looks good j.p .. any other pics... whats the specs. looks like a 10in sub...

Old 09-10-2009, 11:00 PM
j.p.
1st Gear
Originally Posted by smlzilla
thats looks good j.p .. any other pics... whats the specs. looks like a 10in sub...
Yeah, it's a ten inch, you can go to their site, should be more info on there. www.audiointegrations.net

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Show pics of your subwoofer install!