Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod to aux cable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:04 AM
lmpdx
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod to aux cable?

I'm getting a new MCc and am trying to avoid getting both the iPod adapter and the aux input. I have a 2G iPod now, but it's probably only going to last another year at the most. Thus, I'm wondering if there is an iPod to mini-jack cable that will plug into the Mini's iPod adapter to let you play music from an early iPod?

Old 02-21-2006, 07:08 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Get the Aux input cable for $40 and install yourself. Then go to your local Radio Shack and get the cable that goes from the Aux input to the ipod for $10.

Works great!

Old 02-21-2006, 11:33 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
or should you have some old computer parts and soldering gun, you can do it yourself for free like i did

I wrote up a little walkthrough on it. It really only takes about 30min to do.
Creating an Aux Input with old computer parts

Old 02-21-2006, 03:31 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty cool stuff, Thanks

The fan plugs that terminate onto pins 3L+,4R+ and 10 GRD on the back of the HU. I see that the fan plugs are 5 position do they fit pins 3 & 4, okay in that row with only 4 pins?
The old audio sound card connector is a 3.5mm female jack, correct?
So then you use a 3.5mm male to male cable to connector your cable to the iPOD?
Your cable allows you complete control of your iPOD from the iPOD with no charging, correct?

Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
The fan plugs that terminate onto pins 3L+,4R+ and 10 GRD on the back of the HU. I see that the fan plugs are 5 position do they fit pins 3 & 4, okay in that row with only 4 pins?
The old audio sound card connector is a 3.5mm female jack, correct?
So then you use a 3.5mm male to male cable to connector your cable to the iPOD?
Your cable allows you complete control of your iPOD from the iPOD with no charging, correct?
Yup, everything fit like a glove. Since there are 12 pins total on that side of the HU you are still going to have 2 pins not covered by the fan plugs, but thats ok, they were all uncovered to begin with. (i also heard that internal CD-ROM analog connectors work great too)

Also correct in the 3.5mm female jack, and I had the male to male cable lying around from a previous purchase at Radio Shack (probably a 3$US cable)

And all control is through the iPod, no limitations there. The HU auto senses the Aux connection through a completed circuit. So if you have something plugged into the Aux connector you'll be able to select Aux using the Mode button on the HU, if nothing is connected then it will only cycle between CD and radio.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:46 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very good, Thanks again

Old 02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
lmpdx
Neutral
iPod to aux

Very good ideas, but I think we're going in the wrong direction. Maybe by the second page, there will be tips on steel fabrication, and by the fourth page, tips on mining?

I was just wondering if anyone uses a cable in which one end plugs into the MINI's iPod adapter and the other end plugs into an aux device like an old iPod headphone jack. For example, I've seen some cables on the net called something like "Apple i-pod dock to mini-jack" but I'm not sure if the sex of the plugs is correct and I'm not sure if they'd work with the MINI iPod adapter.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:42 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I'd stick with the MINI part and the $10 cable from radioshack... No need to make it more complicated than it needs to be!

Old 02-22-2006, 09:14 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lmpdx
Very good ideas, but I think we're going in the wrong direction. Maybe by the second page, there will be tips on steel fabrication, and by the fourth page, tips on mining?

I was just wondering if anyone uses a cable in which one end plugs into the MINI's iPod adapter and the other end plugs into an aux device like an old iPod headphone jack. For example, I've seen some cables on the net called something like "Apple i-pod dock to mini-jack" but I'm not sure if the sex of the plugs is correct and I'm not sure if they'd work with the MINI iPod adapter.
sarcasm... much?

anyway -

if you are talking about something like this (clicky clicky) then you are still going to need an Aux connector.
If you are talking about the other way around (MINI/iPod adapter to 3mm) then there is no difference between that and an Aux port since the adapter is plugged right into the back of the HU. (see here from motoring file)

unless (i'm thinking as i'm typing) you are looking for a female end of an iPod connector to plug into your existing MINI/iPod adapter to create a 3mm jack... if that is the case i'm almost certain they don't make those.

am i making any sense at all?

or should i digress to stud welding and beam drill lines