Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod adapter install instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:07 PM
PMC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod adapter install instructions

I finally broke down and bought a new iPod. I picked up the Gen 2 MINI iPod Interface (part number 65 11 0 409 341) at the dealer. l noticed the Owner's Manual in the box, so I did not think I needed separate instructions. WRONG! When I got home and inspected the parts and the manual I read the yellow, 8-language, fine-print notice on the box, "This retrofit kit does not contain any installation instructions; see Aftersales Assistance Portal (ASAP) Print out the installation instructions and give them to the customer."

In order to avoid a 70-mile round trip to the dealer, my choices are to ask the dealer's part person to send me a fax of the instructions (proably not legible), beg them to e-mail the instructions (probably do not have this capability), or request someone viewing this forum to send them along (scan and e-mail if possible).

So, anyone out there have the instructions that they can pass along to me?

Old 02-21-2006, 04:21 PM
PMC
3rd Gear
Bump - anyone?

Old 02-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
http://www.sbtontheweb.com/pdfs/IPOD.pdf

Search is your friend - I used the phrase 'ipod installation'
I swear they used to have it on motoringfile, but didn't see it there.
Enjoy.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 PM
PMC
3rd Gear
Eric- Thanks for your help. My search had too many words and did not yield the manual or a link to it. However, the instructions on your link appear to be for the Gen 1 Interface per the part number. I believe there is only a minor difference with one wire as noted on another thread, in addition to more simple connnections without need for splicing.

If anyone has the updated instructions, I would be most appreciative to receive them.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Dewy
1st Gear
I also just picked up the "Gen 2" Ipod adapter without instructions. I don't believe they exist as of this moment. However everything is pretty self-explanatory as far as using the old instructions with a couple of exceptions.

Obviously you do not have to cut and splice wires, just remove the wires from the harness. Make sure you know to release the wires from the harness. (Put a toothpick or small screwdriver to release the internal catch of the wire itself.) If you cannot release the wire fairly easy the catch is still engaged. It took me a few tries to figure it out. With the blue plastic piece removed, place your toothpick on the inner rail of the wire you are trying to remove from the radio side of the harness, the wire should come out fairly easily.

Also my experience is that the Gen 2 Ipod Adapter uses only three wires instead of the four of the first generation. Leave wire 16 in the radio harness. If you don't the radio may not turn off when the car is off and if the car is running the radio will only play for 20 minutes before it turns itself off. The radio thinks it is in accessory mode. (The car is off).

This worked for me with a handsfree bluetooth kit installed in addition to the Ipod adapter.

So far a much better experience than with the Icelink Plus; but that is another story.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:58 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Dewey- Thanks for the info; that seems to be the party line. I just like to make certain that I have it straight when I venture into electronics mods. I am more comfortable with mechanicals. It still seems ridiculous that BMW/MINI cannot update their instructions, especially since this kit has been out for some time.

I would be interested to hear about your Bluetooth install and its applications. You can e-mail me if it is easier.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
Anyone want to take some pictures of the installation? And then give us a run down on the functionality of the new adapter?

Is this the one that is supposed to handle text to the radio screen?

Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Finemedic
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dolmangar
Anyone want to take some pictures of the installation? And then give us a run down on the functionality of the new adapter?

Is this the one that is supposed to handle text to the radio screen?
Can you use the buttons on the steering wheel?

Old 02-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Dewy
1st Gear
The Gen2 Ipod adapter has the exact same functionality as the previous edition. You must have 5 playlists labeled MINI1, MINI2, etc, you access these by pressing the station preset buttons, (Button 6 is the entire Ipod), you can move forward and backward through the songs by pressing either the buttons on the head unit or the MFSW. If you want text on the head unit the only option available as of now is the Icelink Plus. However speaking from experience I cannot recommend it; not only for what it caused in my Mini but also the very poor service I have received when I asked to have it replaced under warranty (still waiting). That being said it works great for some people, (and worked great for me for almost two months). Roll the dice and take your chances.

As far as the Bluetooth implementation; I purchased the Parrot Bluetooth kit and harness from www.newministuff.com and it has worked flawlessly since day one. If you have a Bluetooth phone and occasionally have to take a call in your car this is the way to go. My phone stays in my pocket and links to the car automatically. It uses the existing phone buttons in the steering wheel to answer and hang up the phone, it mutes the radio as a call comes in and puts the audio through the car speakers, and most importantly for me it is completely invisible. The microphone is in the microphone space in the headliner, all connections are behind the headunit or under the dash. I cannot recommend it enough.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Spridal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dewy
As far as the Bluetooth implementation; I purchased the Parrot Bluetooth kit and harness from www.newministuff.com and it has worked flawlessly since day one. If you have a Bluetooth phone and occasionally have to take a call in your car this is the way to go. My phone stays in my pocket and links to the car automatically. It uses the existing phone buttons in the steering wheel to answer and hang up the phone, it mutes the radio as a call comes in and puts the audio through the car speakers, and most importantly for me it is completely invisible. The microphone is in the microphone space in the headliner, all connections are behind the headunit or under the dash. I cannot recommend it enough.
Which Parrot model did you purchase? Will the Parrot system work on US cars?

Old 02-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Dewy
1st Gear
The Parrot system I have is the Parrot CK3000 which has been replaced by the CK3000 Evolution. There are no bells and whistles on either of these units. If you are looking for displays, etc. you would have to go to another model. (See www.parrot.biz) The key to this system is the harness by www.newministuff.com which integrates everything to your Mini and makes the installation largely plug and play.

The systems work just fine on US (or Canadian) Minis. Also see www.motoringfile.com for some reviews of bluetooth and cradle handsfree phone kits.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Goose
3rd Gear
Dolmangar,

I just installed the gen 2 iPod adapter. Pictures in my gallery. Here's a link:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=17989

Gen 2 functions the same as gen 1; no text on the radio display.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Doodle Bug
2nd Gear
I have been doing some looking and I am thinking about using this one.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/search.asp...it.y=5#results

If you read about it and look at the video it looks like an easy install.

Neo ion

www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html

Has any one used this one??

Old 02-26-2006, 08:22 PM
seashelly
4th Gear
Also my experience is that the Gen 2 Ipod Adapter uses only three wires instead of the four of the first generation. Leave wire 16 in the radio harness. If you don't the radio may not turn off when the car is off and if the car is running the radio will only play for 20 minutes before it turns itself off. The radio thinks it is in accessory mode. (The car is off).
Which is exactly what my car is doing now. Unfortunately, I did the install before finding Dewy's post about the real difference between gen 1 and gen 2 iPod interface kit. And since the gen 1 harness and instructions replace the connector pins on the wire removed from the radio, I can't simply put wire 16 back where it came from. Wrong connector pin. I'm hoping the supplier I bought the kit from will do right by me, and send me something that works properly.

Other than the radio shutting off every 20 minutes, I'm very happy with the interface. And, the install is pretty easy, I've gotten very good at removing the downtubes!

Dewy, thanks so much for posting the issue with the gen 1 wire harness, at least now I can stop trying to troubleshoot this thing.

Shelly

Old 02-27-2006, 01:12 PM
PMC
3rd Gear
I had a friend's technician install the iPod interface. Now, the iPod just diplays the white screen with "Mini - OK to disconnect instead of the usual iPod menu selections. What went wrong and how can I fix it?

Old 02-27-2006, 01:29 PM
seashelly
4th Gear
PMC, that's actually what's supposed to happen once you plug the iPod in. That's what it says in the little manual I got anyway. The click wheel controls won't work while it's plugged in either, control is thru the radio/mfsw buttons.
And the h/u only recognizes playlists where the lable starts with either MINI1, MINI2, MINI3, MINI4, MINI5. The playlist titles can have other text after MINI1 etc.

Shelly

Old 02-27-2006, 01:36 PM
PMC
3rd Gear
I did not realize this. I now think it is a waste of money and effort to just have the convenience of using the head unit and steering wheel buttons rather than the iPod menu and wheel functions. I much more prefer the transpod in my Denali that charges the iPod, lets me use all the iPod functions, and transmits through radio frequencies. I would rather look for exactly what I want to hear from my entire menu on the iPod screen than have to make up a bunch of MINI playlists. I am extremely disappointed, but I can only blame myself for not doing enough research on this option.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:00 PM
marcdmbfan
2nd Gear
Well I just returned from Best Buy. They were not able to install my 2nd generation OEM ipod adapter with the 1st gen. installation instructions. I'm going to have to make another trip to the dealership (240 miles away) to have them do the install. Hope it's worth it.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:12 PM
seashelly
4th Gear
Wait!

Gen 2 install instructions here http://new.minimania.com/images/inst...ctions_new.pdf

hope this helps.

Shelly

Old 03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
marcdmbfan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by seashelly
Gen 2 install instructions here http://new.minimania.com/images/inst...ctions_new.pdf

hope this helps.

Shelly
Thanks. I don't trust taking it back to best buy but I will try some place else locally before taking it to the dealership. Thanks again.