Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Audio upgrade - Kenwood Exelon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:18 PM
powershot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio upgrade - Kenwood Exelon?

Well I'm doing something that most of you seem to find relatively easy but it's new to me. I want to upgrade the sound of the MINI standard radio sound. But here's the kicker (no pun intended), I want to keep the headunit and I need most if not all of the cargo area. Therefore, a sub is out of the question. I'm looking for a warm sound with some punch to the bass when needed (I love my Bostons at home). Of course, I'll need to be the judge ultimately because they are my ears. What I don't know is if the products recommended by the local installer are of good quality and can get me on my way down the slippery slope of car stereos.
They recommend the Kenwood Excelon KAC-X542, which is a 960 watt 4 channel model. They also recommend replacing the separates up front with the Kenwood KFC-X1300P (5 1/4) Excelon separates or, if they can fit or make them fit, Kicker RS 65.2 (6 1/2) separates. The amp would be $399 and the separates are $299 for the Excelon and $350 for the Kickers. Labor will be $300 and $100 for extra parts and stuff. Is this a good combination of audio components for most types of music (bass lines from Cowboy Junkies are about as low as I go)? I trust this installer since they are where the dealer sends most of their customers.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:11 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
My experience with the Kenwood speakers is they are very bright. I installed a set in my brother-in-law's car and he loved them (he is 17, about half my age) as he loves to listen to rap. Don't get me wrong, I love my music as load as I can get it but these things killed my ears.

Try and listed to all that you can.

The Bostan Acoustics will sound great provided you spend the extra on the pro series. I hate to say it but the more you spend, on the nicer brands, the smoother they sound.

Do some comparisons at the local shop and in other peoples cars and you will hear the difference.

good luck

Old 03-29-2006, 06:18 AM
powershot
1st Gear
CustomAV,
Thanks for the response. I really wanted to go Boston because everything I have at home is BA (except for some wharfedale towers). However, the store (which shall remain nameless) that sells and installs them, seemed to be more interested in selling me cables and "sound purifiers" and amps that I could not afford. In addition, I could not get a reasonable estimate for installation as they didn't know much about the MINI. I did like the sound of the Kenwoods and I felt very comfortable with the installer. You're the second person to recommend the BA Pro models and I know first hand their service (from the factory) is absolutely outstanding.

I suppose if I don't like the Kenwoods I can always ebay em and spend more $$$ to get the Bostons. I'll post an update after the sounds are put in.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:34 AM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Good luck!

I helped my brother inlaw with the Kenwoods because it is what I could get from my distributor at cost at the time....

I hope it works well. Always be careful when getting someone to do the work for you, if you are not comfortable with the people you are dealing with then you may wish to look at other companies for the work to be performed.

chris