Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Am Greedy: Have Nav Sys, want iPod too... How?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:17 PM
phinmak
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am Greedy: Have Nav Sys, want iPod too... How?

Hey folks --

I've got a '04 MCS, loaded but otherwise fairly stock. The nav system was a great choice for me because I'm always driving to client sites that I've never been before. The down side is that the Nav system supposedly takes up the aux input and I haven't figured out a way to get quality sound from an iPod.

I've always been crazy about the possibilities MP3s gave portable audio. Back in my years in High school in the 90's, before there was such a thing as an iPod (even Rio's with their 32meg capacity were years away!), I installed a desktop computer behind the dash to run mp3's and a navigation system. I was working on voice recognition when I went to college... Of course, i didn't realize that putting all this in an '88 cavalier z24 was a bit rediculous. Well, you be the judge: Z24.

Anyway, my wife tells me that i'm not allowed to put in a desktop in the mini... and honestly i think that technology has come far enough that it's not needed... BUT I'M STILL GREEDY ENOUGH TO WANT NAVIGATION AND MP3'S! (and built-in hands free cell calling, but that's another project...)

My first idea was to get the iTrip, but the sound quality is horrible, especially since the transmitter is too weak and is easily overpowered by local stations.

I'm wondering if my only option is to buy a new receiver that is versitle enough to support the functions I need.

So, my hope is that you folks would be able to either point me in the direction of head units that have solved this problem for you, or if there is another option I'm not seeing, please tell me.

Thanks for your time and eagerly awaiting your response --

-- PhinMak

Old 04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
You actually can combine the aux harness and nav harness into one harness pretty easily. Let me see if I can find GreatBear's instructions. Thats how I did it.

I think that this is it:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&highlight=aux

Old 04-03-2006, 02:38 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
blitzsafe adapter. turns your 6cd changer input into an aux input.

mike

Old 04-03-2006, 03:06 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Greatbear's instructions worked perfectly for me. The Nav and aux input connectors plug into the same place on the head unit, but use different pins on the connector. You just need to transfer the aux input's wires into the matching positions on the Nav's connector.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:08 PM
eVal
6th Gear
You can use the OEM iPod adapter (we have it on the 05 with nav and HK) - something like $99 from Classic I think, and you can do the install yourself

Old 04-03-2006, 04:23 PM
barbaloot
1st Gear
Yeah I have the OEM iPod adapter on my MINI with Nav and HK.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 AM
sck_nogas
2nd Gear
And the iCruze from Monster works well with Nav too. Got it in my 02.

Scott

Old 04-04-2006, 11:07 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
You can use the AUX input (as noted above) or other aftermarket options as well (iceLink Plus, Blitzsafe) as they take the place of the CD-changer (i.e. the headunit thinks it is controlling the CD-Changer and the iPod adapter translates these commands to the ipod).

I have NAV with iceLink Plus and it works great. The only drawback with NAV is that if you turn the ID tags on on the iceLink (it IS an option to turn them on or off), they occupy the Map area of the NAV and you lose maps. Turn it OFF and NAV functions as normal, and the headunit controls the ipod.

There has been a lot of discussion elsewhere that these iPod adapters (liek iceLink) don't work with NAV. My experience is that that is not true. The iceLink just will not provide text on the headunit and allow NAV to display properly at the same time - turn off text and you're golden (text wasn't even implemented in my iceLink a year ago when I bought it - so I don't really miss it).

Old 04-04-2006, 01:51 PM
SRLancer
2nd Gear
I know this is pretty pricey and complicated compared to the AUX adapter but has anyone tried the Alpine VPA-B211A with the KCA-420i iPod interface? http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=832
I'm not sure exactly how it would connect up but it says it's suppose to work with factory stereos that have a Nav.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
speednut
5th Gear
Even though I'm one of the complainers about the ice-link, SuperGimp is 100% correct in how the ice-link can work with in the Mini. I still think it's the best option out there and have faith they will get it working soon like it works in my 330. In another post I made, there is a complete work around the issue with the id3 tags taking over the Nav screen. This makes playlist selection on the go a complete breeze.

As always, YMMV.
Cheers!

Old 06-08-2006, 03:14 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
this gives me hope for my NAV, HK, IPOD AUX setup...

Old 06-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I can't speak for the 04s... but I have factory Nav, Aux input, OEM SIRIUS and OEM Bluetooth all functioning at the same time on the same headunit in my 05... so I know what you are trying to do is very possible, at least on 05s.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:56 PM
barbaloot
1st Gear
Yeah in my '05 I have Nav, HK, and OEM iPod.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Hokie-Mini-S
2nd Gear
In my '04 MCS, I have Nav, HK, and OEM aux input all working fine.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:16 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
You actually can combine the aux harness and nav harness into one harness pretty easily. Let me see if I can find GreatBear's instructions. Thats how I did it.

I think that this is it:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&highlight=aux
Funny thing is that I followed the instructions for my 03 build and it didn't work...then I realized that there's a spare slot next to the NAV and plugged it in and it worked