Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Let's see your GPS mounting pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:08 AM
ryanmsmith
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's see your GPS mounting pics!

So, I cobbled together a navigation system using an old iPaq 3835 PocketPC, a Pharos iGPS-500 receiver (included with Mappoint 2006), a 1GB SD card, OnCourse Navigator North America map software, and a cable assembly that connects it all together and plugs into the lighter socket. It works, and seems to work well, though the user-input response is a bit slow due to the older processor in the iPaq.

I tested it out in my GTI while waiting for the MINI to arrive and had good luck mounting it with one of those cheap suction cup-goose neck pda mounts off of ebay. It positioned it right at the 2:00 position of the steering wheel. Now that I've got my MINI, I've found that the windshield is not sloped back enough to make this practical. For the time being, I've got the mount located above and between my dual gauge cluster (I've got the Chrono pack), with the goose neck and suction cup running straight ahead to the windshield. The cables run pretty neatly down behind the gauges and I've got the receiver down on my euro parcel shelf.

I hate the goose neck and suction cup, though, so I'm considering designing a mounting bracket that would make use of the existing screws on the gauge cluster and having the local machine shop make it.

Before I do this, I want to see what others have done. Let's see 'em!

Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My setup is a Dell Axim 30H, Sedio 2600(?) powered cradle with speaker, OCN 5.1, Globalsat BT338(?) bluetooth GPSr. The Axim's cradle is mounted on a Kuda Phone Base designed for the MINI dash top. This setup is totally portable and (GPSr) hardware/software upgradeable.

Here is the driver's view of the setup. Note that the PDA is positioned so that it can be operated and viewed without too much distraction from driving. I barely have to take my right-hand off the steering wheel to touch the screen. I have an OBC, so blocking the speedometer is not a problem. Also, note the bluetooth GPSr on dash; it can also be put on front ledge of the rear portion of the sunroof.

Close-up of the Axim in the Sedio cradle with OCN 5.1 running. I've found the external cradle speaker to be quite handy when ambient noise levels are higher than normal (Dark Side of the Moon!).

Here's a shot of the Kuda Phone Base model specifically for MINIs. The cradle slides on and off the Kuda. The flash makes the colors of the dash and Kuda appear dissimiliar, but in normal light the difference is not detected. No dash pieces were harmed to mount the Kuda; it is held in place by tabs under the center dash-top vent and above the dash facia.

Below is a comparison between the size of the Globalsat BT GPSr and the MINI's cigarette lighter. This GPSr will run for about 12-17 hours (actually tested this!) with it's removeable/upgradeable battery. It also uses SiRF III technology so it is very accurate.

I have actually tested this setup against a Garmin eTrex and a Garmin StreetPilot all running at the same time. The Globalsat was the quickest to get a first fix and, after that, consistently locked on 8 or 9 satellites while the eTrex and SP were waffling between 5-6 satellites. Note that since these were all operating at the same time, under the same conditions (including satellite geometery), I considered it a fair comparison.

Hope this helps!

Theo

Old 06-02-2006, 09:35 AM
TouringComet
3rd Gear
GBMINI, how is your device mounted to the dash? Double stick tape, or did you drill through the dash?

Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I drilled through the dash - at least I had a work colleague do it for me. I first checked the price of a new dash piece, in case it all went wrong!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 AM
trentf
2nd Gear
Ryan.....do you have pics of your set up even if not yet installed? I have a Simens SX66 Pocket PC that I need a reason to keep and have though of using as a GPS device, but looking for others solutions for ideas on how to go with it.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
This is an old picture. I'm now running CoPilot Live 6 software (which works very well, IMO) now, but it's still accurate otherwise:

The power cable is routed through the side of the dash, underneath the steering wheel, to a second 12v power outlet mounted on my euro parcel shelf.

-Paul!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
TouringComet
3rd Gear
Thanks, GB. I'm thinking of doing likewise for my satellite radio receiver, but on the other side, nearer the driver.

One more question, does that center dash piece come out without taking off the side pieces? I read somewhere that the side pieces overlap in front of the center piece.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have pictures, but I have Garmin Quest. I used the mount provided and attached it to the speedo at 3 o'clock. It does not cover any of the lights and only when I am in excess of 90 does it block the needle. (Like I would look at the GPS if I were at that speed. Since this has a speaker in the 12V, I don't have to worry about the cord at that position.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
ryanmsmith
2nd Gear
The Kuda mount looks like a good solution for me.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Old 06-02-2006, 11:40 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TouringComet
One more question, does that center dash piece come out without taking off the side pieces? I read somewhere that the side pieces overlap in front of the center piece.
Yes.
The center piece "tucks under" the outside pieces, but you can just ease it out from behind.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:22 PM
bmweater
2nd Gear
this thread is awesome!!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-02-2006, 12:39 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
What about the PanaVise Indash Bracket (PAN-75146-102)?

I saw it on http://motorola.car-kit.com/configurator/Mounting.asp

I think blalor uses one to hold his Nav.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:40 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrDiff
What about the PanaVise Indash Bracket (PAN-75146-102)?

I saw it on http://motorola.car-kit.com/configurator/Mounting.asp
Mine is the panavise bracket. Very cheap, very sturdy. Its actually here http://panavise.com/nf/comm/indash/i...artn=75146-102

Old 06-02-2006, 06:56 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Here is mine. It's a Dell Axim 51V runing TomTom Navigator 5, ProClip Mount, auxiliary power port located behind switch panel powered via an Add-A-Circuit, GPS antenna mounted on pasenger side dash with cable running under the dash. Only the antenna and the data cable can be seen. I also run GPSDash when I dont need directions. It provides a number of gauges such as speed, acceleration, altitude, etc.

Note the MINI Logo when not in use

TomTom Screen

GPSDash Screen

GPS Antenna

Old 06-02-2006, 07:14 PM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
My GPS Setup

Nice. I want one of those pocket pc things.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
How do you guys like the Dell Pocket PC?

I am kick the idea around of getting one....just afraid I would get it and after time stop using it.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:58 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. Pep'r
How do you guys like the Dell Pocket PC?

I am kick the idea around of getting one....just afraid I would get it and after time stop using it.
I've been using Pocket PCs for a few years now. I bought this one as a dedicated NAV system. So far no complaints. I like the flexibility of using different navigation software if I want rather than being limited to one brand in the case of a dedicated Nav system. Also, I keep my contact list and a fuel log on the Dell. I'll probably think of more uses later.

Phil

Old 06-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
pjschaffer, thanks for the reply. I really like the looks of your install. Did you used the cup holder bracket?

Old 06-03-2006, 08:06 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. Pep'r
pjschaffer, thanks for the reply. I really like the looks of your install. Did you used the cup holder bracket?
No, I used a ProClip mount. It's a two part mount. You buy the base attachment for your vehicle and then the holder for your device and mate them together. This is the second ProClip system I've purchased and I've been pleased both times. See the pictures below.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:06 AM
coolcab
1st Gear
Garmin mounting pix

Here's the pix as promised. Note the external antenna and its wiring as well as the power wiring - all hidden.

Attached Thumbnails Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1344.jpg   Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1346.jpg   Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1347.jpg  
Old 06-04-2006, 07:08 AM
coolcab
1st Gear
more pix

fuse box correct wiring at #36 - switched

Attached Thumbnails Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1351.jpg   Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1349.jpg   Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1348.jpg  
Old 06-04-2006, 07:11 AM
coolcab
1st Gear
more wiring pix

power supply wiring underneath euro shelf. Note the red wire attached to the bolt is a ground wire as I did not have black

Attached Thumbnails Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1352.jpg   Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1354.jpg   Let's see your GPS mounting pics!-img_1355.jpg  

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Let's see your GPS mounting pics!