Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio TomTom Permanent Docking Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006 | 11:31 AM
ocasnguy
|
Neutral
TomTom Permanent Docking Kit

Hi Folks

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a TomTom 700 from AmEX last week, and bought the Permanent Docking Kit from Ebay for about 1/5 the original cost.

I've been searching the net and haven't found anyone relating their expeirences with installing this in their Mini Cooper. I have an '05 Cooper and am wondering if there's anything else I need before I start disassembling my dash.

Does the standard head unit have the ISO connectors or do i need to buy something to install this Docking Kit.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

- JD

Old 06-24-2006 | 05:41 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I bought the docking kit but just hacked it to pieces - basically I only used to TomTom connector and its wires, and made my own everything else!
I stayed with the TomTom speaking as it's quite loud - that eliminates most of the wiring challenge of splicing into the car speakers.

The MINI does not have ISO connectors - they're a European thing.

I don't know if you could find any commercial adaptors - you can get MINI to ISO (for aftermarket stereos), but you'd MINI-to-MINI-and-ISO!

Old 06-25-2006 | 02:12 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
I have it but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Not sure about the stock stereo, but I'm going to need to get some kind of adapter for my Alpine. I'm not very interested in having it use my car's stereo, I got it more for the automatic night mode (when headlights are on) and to get that big power cabel out of my sight.

Old 06-25-2006 | 04:17 AM
lcubed
4th Gear
newministuff has the right adapters for the tomtom docking kit to the
mini radio. i eventually went w/ the nuvi instead since that's easy
to travel w/ (it fits in my shirt pocket).

Old 06-26-2006 | 12:30 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Kindof ironic that you need an adaptor to make it work with a MINI, considering that most of their pictures show it mounted in one.

Old 07-06-2006 | 10:32 PM
toddm
1st Gear
Tomtom install

Hi,

I just bought a TomTom 910 and would love to see some pics of your install. Also could you expand on teh ISO connector thing? I was going to buy the Tomtom hard wire install and do the same thing your thread talks about but I just know where to place everything.

thanks

todd.

Originally Posted by GBMINI
I bought the docking kit but just hacked it to pieces - basically I only used to TomTom connector and its wires, and made my own everything else!
I stayed with the TomTom speaking as it's quite loud - that eliminates most of the wiring challenge of splicing into the car speakers.

The MINI does not have ISO connectors - they're a European thing.

I don't know if you could find any commercial adaptors - you can get MINI to ISO (for aftermarket stereos), but you'd MINI-to-MINI-and-ISO!

Old 07-07-2006 | 06:15 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear

In Europe, head units have standardised wiring connectors called ISO - two ?12? way connectors.
The TomTom install kit has mating plugs / sockets for those ISO connectors so install is a simple unplug / plug sequence. Once done, the TomTom gets its power and the signal to dim the screen when lights are on, and also it takes over the car speakers to make announcements.

However, the MINI stereo connector is not ISO, so you can't do a simple unplug / plug - you'd have to hack into and redo all the wiring behind the stereo.
If you wanted to go that way, you could start with this power take off kit from NewMINIstuff, then do lots of wire cutting and soldering to replace the ISO connectors of the TomTom kit with these connectors.