Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R56 speaker replacement how-to

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found DLS C36, 3 way components for a good price from a well regarded Swedish speaker manufacturer. 6.5, 4 and .8 silk tweeter. The mid is listed as 2.28 " deep. Outmotoring in the initial post listed the mid depth as 2.25 ". It is not much deeper, think I could get it to fit? Here is a link http://www.dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_57

Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
mrravioli3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know the specific sizes for the front speakers?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrravioli3
does anyone know the specific sizes for the front speakers?
I believe they are metric. Why do you ask? I have them out and could measure the lower speakers, it is important. I'd have to find the upper speakers. Exactly, what part do you want measured? I'm not sure what part of the speaker is measured to determine its nominal size. Is it from the centers of the mounting holes, or what?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 PM
miniSQ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I believe they are metric. Why do you ask? I have them out and could measure the lower speakers, it is important. I'd have to find the upper speakers. Exactly, what part do you want measured? I'm not sure what part of the speaker is measured to determine its nominal size. Is it from the centers of the mounting holes, or what?
I have the upper speaker handy....and lower. Let me know how i can help.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 PM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Read the first post of this thread and the sticky titled R56 audio system specs. in this category.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 PM
urameatball
2nd Gear
FINALLY, after buying a new set of speakers and having them in the garage for 2 months, I spent 4hrs replacing the fronts. Yes, I'm new to this kind of stuff.
Purchased Infinity 3022 + 6022 + 6922. They're not as great as my home speakers, but I made a comparison with stock and there was a HUGE difference. I guess that says how poor the oem speakers were.

One problem - I think I didn't clip on the mirror button properly and now I have to push harder to get the mirrors to go. Not a big deal since I never touch the mirrors anyway, but I'll need to get that fixed the next time I'm bored.

Won't be starting the rears yet, don't have the right size torx drivers... but looking forward to it. Thanks NAM for all the great info.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Replacing the rears is a B-I-G job because to get to them you have to gut the interior from the doors back (not including the headliner, of course). Suggest that you have plenty of Dynamat to quiet things down while you're at it. Focals are great speakers. Highly recommended.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 PM
urameatball
2nd Gear
fronts done last week, rears just completed today.
better/tighter/cleaner speakers means you notice the bass fall-off in the rear channels. Will have to do the x9331 channel swap tomorrow.

update: just did the channel swap and OH MY GOD!!! It's just INCREDIBLE how much of a difference it makes. Anyone who hasn't done this is missing out.

Last edited by urameatball; 11-08-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
MINImole
Neutral
Originally Posted by urameatball
update: just did the channel swap and OH MY GOD!!! It's just INCREDIBLE how much of a difference it makes. Anyone who hasn't done this is missing out.
But does it make sense to do the channel swap if you have decent aftermarket speakers installed the front??

I want to install rear speakers but would like front and back to have fullrange sound and not be cut at 100hz.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINImole
But does it make sense to do the channel swap if you have decent aftermarket speakers installed the front??
Do you want the bass going to 6.5" speakers, or 6x9" speakers?

I want to install rear speakers but would like front and back to have fullrange sound and not be cut at 100hz.
If you have the HIFI, adding an aftermarket amp (bypassing the HIFI amp) is how you accomplish that.

With the standard audio, you would need a CleanSweep, and an amp.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 AM
k6rtm
4th Gear

My opinions--

(1) it makes sense to do the channel swap even if you've replaced the fronts and have stock rear speakers. One of those physics things -- no matter how "good" your new fronts are, the rear cones are bigger and capable of reproducing lower frequencies better. I ran with the channel swap and original rear speakers for a few weeks before I swapped out the rears.

(2) If you want both front and back to have full range (on the non-hifi system) you're going to need a new amp to drive your speakers, driving the amp off the front speaker signals, as those are the only full-range ones. I'd probably provide resistive terminations (100 ohms or so) on all four original outputs. I have a sound engineering hunch for suggesting that, a general dislike of unterminated outputs.

Have fun!

Last edited by k6rtm; 11-10-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: the voices told me to...
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM
urameatball
2nd Gear

when I had just the fronts installed, I pretty much faded everything to front so channel swapping wouldn't work for me, lol. OEMs sound like absolute junk compared to my mediocre aftermarket speaker upgrade.

You will get better bass if you channel swap even if you only replaced the fronts... however, you'll be stuck with the muddy bass (and muddy everything else) that the stock rear speakers produce, and it'll most likely cast a ugly shadow over your beautiful sounding fronts.
I'd personally hold out on channel swapping until you get decent rear speakers installed.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 PM
paul_voorn
2nd Gear
Ok... Many thanks to all who have posted here and on the 'just reverse the speakers' thread... !

I have an '08 Clubman with HIFI with Sat and HD radio. The collective result is thoroughly underwhelming (the HIFI is like like a 60's transistor radio, the Sat signals are 'compressed' and the HD radio reception is great when you get it but it constantly switches in and out giving an 'echo' effect).

Thank god for my iphone, Pandora/Slacker.

My wife says Santa will bring me $300 of hifi upgrade...

I'm planning on the following:-

- not channel swapping (I have HiFi)

- getting component 6.5/tweeter (Infinity Reference 6020CS $119) and a two-way 4" (Infinity 4022i... but they seem discontinued... should I get the 429i?)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086020...cs.html?tp=106

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-429I-.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

- not doing the 6x9's (they sound too hard to replace; although I have a hunch on the clubman it's easier, true?)

- adding the BOSS 600 (I just saw it on Amazon for $99 http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BASS600-L.../dp/B000OSZA44

Any suggestions?

Has anybody posted pix of the Boss install in a Clubman boot? I currently have run-flats, but will change... Are people adding a spare wheel? Will the Boss still fit under the lower floor? Is it ok to bury it two layers deep?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by paul_voorn
- getting component 6.5/tweeter (Infinity Reference 6020CS $119) and a two-way 4" (Infinity 4022i... but they seem discontinued... should I get the 429i?)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086020...cs.html?tp=106

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-429I-.../ref=pd_cp_e_2
With that setup you will have an extra set of tweeters. That may be a bit much.

Not sure if you can disconnect the tweeter on the 429i. Looks like the external X-over is permanently attached.

I recently removed Infinity Kappa 42.7i 4" 2-way speaker from my HIFI MCS. They had a detachable external X-over so you could leave the tweeter disconnected.

Will the Boss still fit under the lower floor? Is it ok to bury it two layers deep?
I don't think you want to bury the Boss Bass600 under any layers of floor. You want the speaker to be exposed.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I saw a Bass600 in a clubman underneath where the spare tire would go but I don't remember who's gallery it was in. It might have been in a BRG but I don't remember for sure. Someone else said the 42.9i wouldn't fit b/c of the crossover wiring.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 AM
paul_voorn
2nd Gear
fyi: The reason I asked about the Bass600 down there is because the bass module in my AudiQ7 is mounted (factory standard) inside the spare wheel. My Audi sound is superb (it's the 'base' version audio, but still 12 Bose speakers, and they clearly thought about it, unlike MINI) and I have a hunch that the whole false floor and spare wheel cavity IS one massive subwoofer.

So what IS a good 4" speaker to go in that setup?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:36 PM
peporter
2nd Gear
Has anyone tried running the A post tweeters with the rear channel off the HU (6 speaker system)? I am going to install a 4 channel amp (Kenwood XR-4S), a Newministuff loom with RCAs off the front channels, an equalizer and 2 way crossover(AudioContol). Replacing the rears with Focal 690CA1s, and Infinity 5030 cs in front with the tweeters in the A posts. Polish that off with liberal Dynamax Extreme, custom sub box with Pioneer shallow mount 10" sub run by an Kenwood XR-1S, and I'll be done. I figure the HU rear channel will provide all the volume control for the tweeters I'll need....and an inline filter cap to keep what lows and mids are left in check....

Old 11-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I don't quite understand how that would work. The HU volume control will affect everything. Are you thinking of using the front/back balance for setting the tweeter volume? You are running all speakers, except the tweeters with the XR-4S, right? I haven't heard of anyone doing that on this forum. I'm doubtful about it working.

For sound deadening, check out this web site:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
My experience is that Dynamat Extreme only has a minimal effect. It helps, but nearly as much as one would desire.

I'm curious about your choice of speakers. Why the mix of different brands? Have you heard them together? Do they play well together? Seems like you would want to put more of your $$ into the front speakers on a system that will take as much money and effort as you are talking about.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 AM
peporter
2nd Gear
Robin Casady vbmenu_register("postmenu_2922381", true);
6th Gear

Gallery
I don't quite understand how that would work. The HU volume control will affect everything. Are you thinking of using the front/back balance for setting the tweeter volume? You are running all speakers, except the tweeters with the XR-4S, right? I haven't heard of anyone doing that on this forum. I'm doubtful about it working.

The HU sees the tweeter as the rear channel, with its own volume control, just the simplest way to control the volume of the tweeter. If it doesn't work as expected, it will be easy enough to plug the crossovers back in and get normal. Thanks for the great photos! It's one thing to talk about this stuff, and quite another to see whats been done. Are you still using the Dynamat or did you replace it? Thanks for the link to the Soundeadner page, wish I'd known about it sooner....doing a complete re-think. I figure it's a crapshoot ordering speakers over the internet. My normal rule of thumb is "pick what sounds best"...hard to do over the wire. If the Infinitys don't match up well with the Focals, they will be easy enough to replace.....but this line of thinking ultimately results in madness, and we aren't talking about a pristine listening environment. I do want to get it as close as I can within reason. This is a great thread, and I've really enjoyed reading and now participating in it! Looking forward to more!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Still using the Dynamat, but have added mass loaded vinyl in a number of areas:

I cut some MLV to go under the floormats. Put pieces around battery compartment to try and reduce noise coming in through the fresh air intake in the firewall. Put some behind the felt liners in the wheel well.

I've also done a rear seat delete and built a wall behind the front seats. I'm working on the top that will enclose it. Both are made from 3/8" Baltic birch plywood, a layer of MLV, and covered with Black Box Carpet (which isn't really carpet, but matches the MINI interior quite well). I'll post photos when it is done.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
peporter
2nd Gear
Out from under the Dynamat...

The outfit that I ordered the Dynamat from dealercostcaraudio.com didn't fill the order and I gave them a month to do it, so I canceled the order. I am now free to deal with Sounddeadnersshowdown. I want to do the everything from the front seats back just like you did with the Dynamat only with the 1/8" foam and the MLV. Given the foam is in 36"X54" sheets, how many sheets do you think I will need? I will also need an equivalent amount of the MLV. How pliable is the MLV? I also plan to use the CLD tiles, specifically on the doors and behind the 6X9s. Can I stick foam sheeting back there and some MLV on top of it? As I read the thread, if you don't treat the area behind the rear panels, the 6X9s will cause them to rattle. Do you think a layer of foam between the panel and the body will tighten that area up enough to prevent rattle? Can you give me a wild guess as to how many CLD tiles I should order, and do you think I can worm some of them onto the outside door? Thanks for the help,

Phil

Old 11-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Since this is a speaker replacement thread, I'm going to start a new thread about sound deadening.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 PM
paul_voorn
2nd Gear
OK... my $300 about to go somewhere...

Robin... I got a bit confused about your reply about the multiple tweeters... couldn't tell if you were referring to 4022i or the 42.9i's in your response. Anyhoo...

Went to BestBuy yesterday and went and listened to the reference and the kappas. Admittedly the listening environment is FAR from good (but still significantly better than the sales kids... wow... a couple of hours on this forum and I'd have more experience than them).... but they seemed very close, and I actually preferred the Reference. It seems like they have a button to turn down the tweeter but couldn't see if I could 'snip a wire'. But then I went and looked over at another thread and now I'm really confused... So here is what I'm looking at...

Was hoping to spend ~ $300....

Choice a)
Infiniti reference 6020cs+4022i+Boss Bass600 = $260!
(under my budget! Maybe buy some of that dynamat or mlv)

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...nce_4022i.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ce_6020cs.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BASS600-L.../dp/B000OSZA44

Choice b)
Focal 165A3 from a non-authorized dealer (I can't stretch to Crutchfield's $449)... but could go to woofersetc $369. It would mean NOT getting the BossBass600.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=7028

Choice c)
<Your suggestion here>
Reminder: 2008 clubman with ""HiFi"". ~$300. And I'm looking for 'easy'.
Anxiously awaiting votes from the masters

paul

Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by paul_voorn
Robin... I got a bit confused about your reply about the multiple tweeters... couldn't tell if you were referring to 4022i or the 42.9i's in your response. Anyhoo...
Was hoping to spend ~ $300....

Choice a)
Infiniti reference 6020cs+4022i+Boss Bass600 = $260!
(under my budget! Maybe buy some of that dynamat or mlv)

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...nce_4022i.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ce_6020cs.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BASS600-L.../dp/B000OSZA44

The HIFI system is designed for four tweeters -- two in the rear and two in the A-pillars. The lower door speaker handles bass, and the upper handles mid-range.

If you put 4022i speakers in the upper door location, you are adding a set of tweeters. You will have six altogether. That might over-emphasize the highs.

Choice b)
Focal 165A3 from a non-authorized dealer (I can't stretch to Crutchfield's $449)... but could go to woofersetc $369. It would mean NOT getting the BossBass600.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=7028

I've not heard the Focal 165A3, but they seem to be popular. This 3-way system better matches the HIFI setup. If they are significantly better than the Infinity speakers with the HIFI amp, I'd give up the sub for them. Road noise can block a lot of the bass anyway. Perhaps later on, you would find the funds to add the Bass600. Upgrading from the Infinity to Focals later would be more expensive.

Choice c)
<Your suggestion here>
Reminder: 2008 clubman with ""HiFi"". ~$300. And I'm looking for 'easy'.
Anxiously awaiting votes from the masters

paul
Another option would be to get very nice 2-way component speakers. Either put the tweeters in the upper door location, or in the A-pillars -- leaving the other location empty. If you do this, you might want to use the upper speaker feed for signal to the speaker's crossover so that the 6.5" gets midrange signal as well as bass. IIRC, the upper feed is full range in the HIFI, while the lower has a low-pass filter.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
paul_voorn
2nd Gear
ho boy, I was doing some work-related stuff and just found out that my company has some kind of relationship with HK and I can get JBL and Infinity speakers deeply discounted. and at the same time... now I have MORE options to go look into...

As an example the Infinity 6030cs is $113/pair vs $199 at Crutchfield.
But they don't carry everything... (e.g. not the 6020 which I had researched... but Robin had just steered me away from them anyway; and no HK stuff is available).

Anyone know anything about the "Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1"? ($226/pair).

And I know nothing about the JBLs... JBL GTO 608c? ($123).

And if I did go with one of those, then which 3.5/4" would I get... why aren't there ever any 'component' 4" speakers sold on their own? (maybe I'm barking up the wrong treee!?! ).

Robin: thanks as usual...! It sounds as if you would lean to the Focals, and so I assume you'd be comfortable buying from a place like woofersetc, right?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio R56 speaker replacement how-to