Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R56 speaker replacement how-to

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:09 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for not searching but is the r56 radio connector the same as the r53 etc???

If so why buy that extremely over priced adapter, why not make an adapter yourself?

If Im not mistaking to use an aftermarket radio to oem radio harness Metra part number is 70-9003. Correct?
Now buy Metra part number 71-9003 that is the plug to insert in the oem Radio and join them together except for the speaker wires. And use the wires that go from the radio to a Line Level Converter or if your amp has the inputs use the bare wires to extend to the amp high level input.

Or alternatly Scosche:
VW03B To stock harness
VW03RB To stock radio

Or am I missing something here?

Last edited by SlowB00st; 12-06-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlowB00st
Or am I missing something here?
yup. The radios between r53 and r56 are completely different.

as far as I know Mikey is the only one who has made the adapter.

why not make your own? If you could you wouldn't have to ask questions

Old 12-07-2007, 05:09 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
Hi guys
ALL my installs in the R56 I have used amps with the high level inputs - then its just the £20 loom needed. I have had no issues with interference (Use Kenwood amplifiers) also no issues with frequency problems - in fact the car can sound awesome. Although VAT does show up, once you have selected USA when you get to the final stage it removes the VAT
Shipping is £15 - that it what it costs me for airmail with insurance.
If your amp is line input only then yes my loom is £35 but we have to hand make it.
Both looms are PLUG & PLAY, they give you your amp inputs & you can also connect your amp outputs to the speakers here (useful for the fronts) The lead also has a flying lead for the amp turn on so another job done for you. All you have to do is swap the fibre optic & aux/ipod plugs from the factory plug into my plug

Old 12-07-2007, 05:11 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
p.s. my loom has the standard aftermarket colours so easy to follow
Blue - amp turn on
grey front right
white front left
purple rear right
green rear left

& it comes with a 4 page colour booklet showing how to remove the stereo

Old 12-07-2007, 01:39 PM
polyphemus
Neutral
Originally Posted by mikeythemini
Both looms are PLUG & PLAY, they give you your amp inputs & you can also connect your amp outputs to the speakers here (useful for the fronts) The lead also has a flying lead for the amp turn on so another job done for you. All you have to do is swap the fibre optic & aux/ipod plugs from the factory plug into my plug
I've never seen a loom so I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but it sounds like if I had your loom I'd unplug everything from the HU, plug the loom into the back of the HU, and then plug everything that had been plugged into the HU into the loom. From here everything would keep working like it was just the stock sound system. Right?

From there I could run wire from the amp to the amp inputs on the loom, disconnect the front speakers and replace them, and run wire from the new front speakers to the amp outputs on the loom, and from there the amp would be powering the speakers, right? (assuming the amp is otherwise properly connected/grounded).

Thanks for your time mikey.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Mr.Motor
Neutral
Just for clarities sake, if I am hooking up an aftermarket amp in a non HK car what wire do I use to turn off and on the amp? I have been searching through the forum and have gotten some different opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr.Motor
Just for clarities sake, if I am hooking up an aftermarket amp in a non HK car what wire do I use to turn off and on the amp? I have been searching through the forum and have gotten some different opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

if your amp is in the back the 12v outlet works well. You well have to turn on the ignition to listen to music however. I did this after I got annoyed at a loud turn on thump when I had the remote hooked to another wire that got hot when you inserted the fob.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Pin 13 out of the HU, called "antenna power" is a suitable amp turn-on signal

Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Mr.Motor
Neutral
Cheers guys! I will try out one of them, leaning toward Pin 13 but if its in the trunk I will use the 12V.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:00 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Perhaps the title of this sticky thread should be put into all bold caps - yes, SHOUTING. It seems that new posts asking questions about how to do this or that to the stereo system (or even "how do I replace a speaker?") comes up on a regular basis without the poster ever having read through this thread. Or they complain the thread is too long - sheesh - yes, it's long. It has tons of info. 99.9% of the time it'll have the info you need.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:45 AM
finlandia
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Perhaps the title of this sticky thread should be put into all bold caps - yes, SHOUTING. It seems that new posts asking questions about how to do this or that to the stereo system (or even "how do I replace a speaker?") comes up on a regular basis without the poster ever having read through this thread. Or they complain the thread is too long - sheesh - yes, it's long. It has tons of info. 99.9% of the time it'll have the info you need.
I assume that I am one of the people at whom your comment is directed, since I asked for clarification on a few points yesterday? Don't think I'm too lazy to read the sticky. That thread is nothing compared to the ffdshow "basic" setup/tuning thread on AVSforum. I read all 1000+ posts in the old version of that thread when I first joined.

Perhaps you should note that the sticky appears to be wrong with respect to speaker sizes (apparently only being noted on in this forum now), and that there were questions asked in the sticky that went unanswered. That is why I posted what I did. I had questions that no one had answered to my satisfaction. In fact, had I just read the sticky and not said anything, I'd have bought the wrong size speakers, for a start.

Calm down, yeah? We're here to help each other.

Last edited by finlandia; 12-17-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 12-19-2007, 06:46 PM
KShaub103
1st Gear
I have a R56 without HK speakers
i just replace my two front speaker with an 6.5 and 4in kenwood ie series
i havent replace the 6x9 in the back yet tho (also a kenwood ie).
the front speaker went in without a problem and hook the up with faston slides connectors.
my sound is just not good at all, the clarity isnt the quality i bevlive it would be
I dont know what to do?
Maby replaceing my amp? but i realy not know
if i would replace my amp would it be very hard i would need about a 200watt amp so i add sub one day
please help me

Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Make sure you correctly wired + to +, - to - on every speaker. Any crossed connection will make sound out of phase - unclear.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:10 PM
KShaub103
1st Gear
yea that is one thing i am going to check
but would replacing my amp be a good idea?
Or maby a JL Audio CleanSweep?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KShaub103
I have a R56 without HK speakers
i just replace my two front speaker with an 6.5 and 4in kenwood ie series
i havent replace the 6x9 in the back yet tho (also a kenwood ie).
the front speaker went in without a problem and hook the up with faston slides connectors.
my sound is just not good at all, the clarity isnt the quality i bevlive it would be
I dont know what to do?
Maby replaceing my amp? but i realy not know
if i would replace my amp would it be very hard i would need about a 200watt amp so i add sub one day
please help me
I doubt the headunit is pushing enough power to your speakers. What wattage are the speakers rated at? The head unit doesn't put out much. If you get an amp it'll sound much better.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mikeythemini
no problems as I said its the crossovers that cause the issue on many speakers
I noticed in mikethemini's pic below that there is a circular cover piece he ran the speaker wires through.

I have the stock non-hifi system. When I installed my 6.5" speakers in the fronts in my car, I noticed that the hole did not have any cover. It was exposed. I could see the back of the speakers through that hole. Should I cover it? Would it make much of a difference? Anyone else missing a cover?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Nui
4th Gear
It should have a rubber grommet there. See if your dealer will supply them. Should have been done at the factory.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Nui
It should have a rubber grommet there. See if your dealer will supply them. Should have been done at the factory.
Thanks. For now I'll just duct tape it or something.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
poolemac
3rd Gear
JL Audio TR400-CXi fits great in front door

For the archives:

FWIW, the 4'' JL Audio TR400-CXi fits just fine in the "small hole" in the front door with no modifications whatsoever. That is all.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Any official write-ups for the non-HiFi system?

Putting in an amp and sub this weekend that I used in my previous car. I have read over this entire thread - is there anything specific/different that I need to know about a NON-HiFi install?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by poolemac
For the archives:

FWIW, the 4'' JL Audio TR400-CXi fits just fine in the "small hole" in the front door with no modifications whatsoever. That is all.
Wish I knew this before I got my 3.5" ones. I don't think I'll ever get around to filling in the gap. Anyway, I still rank my front speaker upgrade with the TR350 and TR650-CXi as the best bang for the buck especially since I had the stock stereo.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM
FortyTwo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ambrosia
Any official write-ups for the non-HiFi system?

Putting in an amp and sub this weekend that I used in my previous car. I have read over this entire thread - is there anything specific/different that I need to know about a NON-HiFi install?
Not official, but here's the install I did for my sub in a non-hifi R56. Maybe it will help you out: http://coopermods.com/archives/5

I have new speakers picked out and ready to order, just need to catch up installing a few other parts I have sitting around...

Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FortyTwo
Not official, but here's the install I did for my sub in a non-hifi R56. Maybe it will help you out: http://coopermods.com/archives/5

I have new speakers picked out and ready to order, just need to catch up installing a few other parts I have sitting around...
Awesome write-up! Useful for other installs that need access to the firewall.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FortyTwo

Awesome, thank you. I'm sure it will be helpful as the bf and I plan this system out (I'll be learning from him). We took out my rear seats (been driving around without them and don't miss them) and then realized just how much room my current sub and amp will take up in the boot . I searched every vendor mentioned on here for stealth enclosures to much disappointment. Looks like it's time to be creative and come up with a custom solution.

Anyone have any experience with the JL Audio 8W3v3 sub? http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=27

Old 04-12-2008, 02:31 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just completed the installation of replacement speakers in all locations of my MCS w/HI FI. I installed Infinity Kappa's like Robin did. The install info in this thread is great. Read and print which ever instructions make the most sense to you and follow it through step by step. It takes some time but with a little patience it turns out great. I'm pleased with the result for the $300 invested. I may think about a sub some day but for now it's a great improvement. It's very nice to get the benefit of other's experience via this forum. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio R56 speaker replacement how-to