Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Watch For Fraud When Selling Your Car

Old 09-24-2004 | 09:53 AM
GoodbyeJeep
|
1st Gear
Watch For Fraud When Selling Your Car

Hi everyone.

I was in the process of selling my car on autotrader, when this guy contacted becasue his "client" wanted to buy my car. This is what happend:

1. I recived an automated email form autotrader with the email of a guy who has a "client" interested in my car, asking if it was still available.

2. I replied to him that , yes, the car is still available.

3. He answered back the next day saying that his "client" is interested in pics of the car interior and the final price.

4. I replied with the pics and the sales price and I also included my phone numbers.

5. AND HERE IT COMES... He answers back with a long story about how his "client" had written a check for a car that got sold to someone else while he was overseas ( a check double the amount than my asking price).
So his "client" would send me that check. i would cash it and then send the remaining balance back to his "client" via western union.
Then one of his "agents" would come and pick up the car and i would then sent the title to his "client" via fedex

6. I replied that i needed some information about his "client" and himself (adress and phone number) and that i will only sent the balance via a wire transfer through a bank. And the i will release the title only when his check has cleared. I also sent him my adress which i realise now, i shouldn't have done.

WARNING SIGNS:

1. the email of the guy who has "clients" and "agents" was a yahoo email
(lots of people do, so i wasn't too concerned)

2. I replied to him with my phone numbers, but on his next email he didn't return the same courtesy.

3. The last email was the biggest warning sign. DO NOT proceed with any transaction involving western union or any escrow service recommended by the buyer.
His long story seems too farfetched for it to be real, involving multiple parties and many transactions.

WHAT TO DO:

1. Read this http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm

2. NEVER accept to go through an escrow service recommended by the other party. (they will direct you top fraudulent websites that will take you money). choose your own.

3. When they ask to use Western union SOMETHING IS FISHY. ask to for a contact address (not P.O. boxes!) and a name, and verify that the person really exists.

4. If you receive a check have it verified though your bank of a check verification service.

...People are trying to rip you off all over the internet, be careful and intelligent about your money and your private information....

Thanks for reading,

Old 09-24-2004 | 10:40 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
I would just tell the guy to cancel the darn check, make a new cashier's check made out to your name or no deal.

Old 09-24-2004 | 11:14 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
It wasn't "Mr. Robin", was it?

This is a very common scam -- as soon as you see the words "my client" in the email, you can pretty much assume you're being scammed.

Some other symptoms that you're being scammed -- they won't ask anything about the car and they won't quibble about the price. Then the final tipoff is that there will be some excuse offered for a cashier's check for an amount over the purchase price and they'll ask you if you'll kindly wire them the difference.

I'm sure these guys must succeed once in a while. I'd just like to know what kind of moron falls for it!

Seller beware...

Old 09-24-2004 | 11:33 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
I would just tell the guy to cancel the darn check, make a new cashier's check made out to your name or no deal.
fwiw, there is a myth that a cashier's check is as good as cash -- it's not! The issuer can stop payment on it or it can simply be fraudulent. Even if the bank deposits it into your account, the deposit can be reversed later if the check doesn't clear. By then, your car will be long gone!

Ideally, the buyer will finance his purchase through a well-known entity, in which case, you'll get a cashier's check from the bank/credit union/etc which has minimal risk attached. Otherwise, he should come up with cold hard cash or a wire transfer. I would go so far as opening up a temporary account to receive the wire transfer. The few bucks it might cost you to do that will be worth it. The last thing you want is to be the victim of a scam!

Old 09-24-2004 | 02:50 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
>myth that a cashier's check is as good as cash -- it's not! The issuer can stop payment on it

I see...

>Ideally, the buyer will finance his purchase through a well-known entity, in which case, you'll get a cashier's check from the bank/credit union/etc which has minimal risk attached.

How do you know that one's not a fraudulent check? Sounds like
it's as high of a risk as a fraudulent cashier's check that looks like it
was made by a well known institution... ?

You have to start somewhere, but accepting a check made out to
someone else endorsed to you should raise a flag from the beginning...no?

Old 09-24-2004 | 03:40 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
>Ideally, the buyer will finance his purchase through a well-known entity, in which case, you'll get a cashier's check from the bank/credit union/etc which has minimal risk attached.

How do you know that one's not a fraudulent check? Sounds like
it's as high of a risk as a fraudulent cashier's check that looks like it
was made by a well known institution... ?

You have to start somewhere, but accepting a check made out to
someone else endorsed to you should raise a flag from the beginning...no?
Normally, you have to interact with the buyer's lender to complete the transaction, especially if the lender is paying off your loan balance. In particular, the lender should tell you the exact amount of the check you'll be receiving. If possible, try to complete the transaction at the lender's office.

If it's an out of town lender, you can try to make sure it's legit by calling them and speaking to the loan person, and by doing any other checks you can think of until you're satisfied. I suppose a determined con artist could setup a fake lender too -- but at some point you have to convince yourself that you've done enough due diligence. And obviously, any diligence is infinitely better than none!

I would NEVER accept a third party check for anything, especially a car!

Old 09-24-2004 | 08:14 PM
GoodbyeJeep
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 911Fan
It wasn't "Mr. Robin", was it?

This is a very common scam -- as soon as you see the words "my client" in the email, you can pretty much assume you're being scammed.

Some other symptoms that you're being scammed -- they won't ask anything about the car and they won't quibble about the price. Then the final tipoff is that there will be some excuse offered for a cashier's check for an amount over the purchase price and they'll ask you if you'll kindly wire them the difference.

I'm sure these guys must succeed once in a while. I'd just like to know what kind of moron falls for it!

Seller beware...
no it wasn't Mr Robin.
It smelled fishy to start with. No test drive! , that is weird, who would buy a used car without testing it ??
No negotiations! , i mean ... come on...

I am in a hurry to sell my car, but i'll just take my chances with the trade in , at least I can trust a big BMW dealer not to steal my money, even though they will give me less than my asking price..