Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Markup on 2005 Mustangs is outrageous!

Old 04-29-2005, 07:46 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Markup on 2005 Mustangs is outrageous!

And I thought some of those California MINI dealers were crooks! I went to THREE Ford dealers yesterday to look at 2005 Mustang GT convertibles. Not one GT conv at any dealer. I looked online and went to one near my house that had a large inventory. They had one almost like the one I want - but it had a "Market Value Adjustment" of $8000! $8000! GTs had a $4000 markup, GT convertibles had a markup of $8000!

I guess I'm going to have to buy a Mustang from far away, maybe out of state.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:10 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
It's good news for Ford. The redesign is a major hit. Too bad for you though. Maybe someone like Classic Auto Campus sells Fords too? You might check with Julie to see if they do (not sure at all).

Old 04-29-2005, 08:38 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't the convertibles just come out? Give them a few months. Face it, it's a Ford.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I gotta say, Ford got this iterarion of the 'Stang right. A rebirth of my favorite design. A lot of people think the same way, hence the markups.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:23 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Didn't the convertibles just come out? Give them a few months. Face it, it's a Ford.
exactly.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:36 PM
plugot
2nd Gear
Go West Young Man!

Follow Horace Greely's advice and go west. There are many Ford dealers in the greater Los Angeles area. Galpin Ford in Van Nuys, CA is one of the biggest dealer's in the known universe and at any time they probably have a supply greater than East coast or mid-America dealers as convertibles are year round items. Run a check of California dealers on the Internet and contact some of them. If you ship the car figure about a grand and go shop. You'll probably make out better than waiting a couple months and trying to buy locally.

I too think the restyle is a handsome reminder of the original Mustang without feeling dated. Nice job for the money.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:41 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Heck, if you go Galpin I'll even give you a ride. You can get that break in out of the way real quick like.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
WhatUglyBrutes
2nd Gear
No offense, but the new mustang looks bulky and cheap to me.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:16 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by WhatUglyBrutes
No offense, but the new mustang looks bulky and cheap to me.
No coment...

Old 04-30-2005, 11:56 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
The dealers around here make you put down a $500 deposit just to test drive a 2005 Mustang.

I told them where they could put their car and walked out...

Old 05-01-2005, 05:53 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
They're just milking the short honeymoon period in which the Mustang is a novelty.

It's all over when Enterprise and the other big car rental companies start receiving their fleets of them ...

Old 05-01-2005, 08:08 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sambusik
They're just milking the short honeymoon period in which the Mustang is a novelty.

It's all over when Enterprise and the other big car rental companies start receiving their fleets of them ...
You're right. My Hertz rental was a new stang the other week at Detroit...not that I wanted one. I just asked for a mid-sized car and that's wat I got. I preferred a sedan.

just wait a few months...

Old 05-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is very sad....

Ford dealers did the same thing with the new Thunderbird, effectively killing the car. This won't happen here, because of fleet sales and the like, but I'm a Mustang enthusiast, and I wouldn't pay sticker for a domestic car ever.... Well, maybe for a GT, but if I could affort that I wouldn't be worriing about price!

Phone around. If you're will to travel, try Swanson Ford or Saratoga Ford here in the bay area. They support a lot of the Mustang entusiasts here. Call into Mike Swanson at Swanson. Don't know a name a Saratogo.....

Good luck!

Matt

Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 PM
jggonzalez
3rd Gear
I liked the looks of the new mustang too, but the steering feedback sucks. It feels like a video game compared to my 23 year-old BMW 320i. So far the Cooper is the only car I've driven that has comparable steering feedback. (Of course the BMW has Eibachs and Bilsteins all around, as well as larger sway bars, a limited-slip diff, MOMO steering wheel, and a UUC short shift kit and a Rob ****.)

Regards,

Joe

Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
http://www.swaqvalley.com/Blueprints/1968_Chevrolet_Camaro_Z28.jpg

Originally Posted by Greatbear
I gotta say, Ford got this iterarion of the 'Stang right. A rebirth of my favorite design. A lot of people think the same way, hence the markups.
I agree wholeheartedly. I've been a fan of the Mustang since childhood. But geez, 35 years to make a decent looking car?? I wonder if GM wishes they'd retro'd the Camaro and Firebird instead of dumping them. But hey, that Malibu is sexy, huh?

Here's a blast from the past for anyone to young to remember( or if you don't live in a rust-free state).

Well, that picture is just too BIG.. here http://www.swaqvalley.com/Blueprints...Camaro_Z28.jpg

Remember this?

Thirteen inches shorter than a 1973, the new I-4 or V-6 Mustang II was a blend of Ford and Ghia styling that came in $3,081 notchback or $3,275 hatchback body styles.
Whoa...look at those prices. Who says there's no inflation?

Last edited by DVLMINI; 05-01-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:47 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Uhm, my name is Jerry, and I used to have one of those...

Old 05-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
if you are willing to buy out of state have you considered buying from clasic ? They also sell fords and many other makes of vehicles. You never know Julie may even be able to hook you up. Just a thought, and here is the link o the ford portion of their site.

http://www.driveclassicford.com/

You can get Julies contact info from the vendor section, if nothing else I am sure she can put you in touch with someone on the ford side that would take care of you. I dont think ohio is getting too much convertible weather quite yet :-)

Old 05-02-2005, 08:24 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
That is freaking hillarious that people are stupid enough to pay ANYTHING over msrp for american junk! Just like Pontiac did with the GTO last year! LOL

Old 05-02-2005, 09:36 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
That is freaking hillarious that people are stupid enough to pay ANYTHING over msrp for american junk! Just like Pontiac did with the GTO last year! LOL
Well, it's the dealers doing this, not Pontiac and Ford. It's not hard to find a GTO for a lot less than sticker price and it's probably a good deal if you like that sort of car. By all accounts I've read, the GTO and the new Mustang are quite decent. The GTO, by the way, is much more Australian than American since it's based on the Holden Monaro.

I do agree that dealers charging way over sticker price is a sure way to encourage buyers to look elsewhere. I know I would.

Mark

Old 05-02-2005, 12:11 PM
vagt6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
Stupid is a pretty strong word for such folks, no??

Just substitute "american junk" with "German junk" and you have what some folks think about the MINI. Some folks hate the MINI, for reasons I don't understand.

Save your negativity and stereotyping for some other website. And, try to lighten up a bit! It's not so bad!

Old 05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
You have your opinons, I have my facts, based on resale

Old 05-02-2005, 01:51 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Play nice. While my opinion of American cars is about the same: "Not if I can help it", I am still seeng a '69 White/Hugger Orange convertible Camaro pace car in my future.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Several weeks ago we went to a local dealership here in So Cal to test drive the new Stang. The rag top hadn't shown up yet but I was very surprised to see that there was NO mark up on the hard top! I don't know if that's the case with the convertible or not - but they are selling like hotcakes here...In the span of less than 10 minutes yesterday, I saw 6 of them... all different colors.....

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS on it's way - no name yet

Old 05-28-2005, 07:45 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
My son in law bought the new GT hardtop in Modesto Ca. I'm not sure what he paid, but he said it was not MSRP.

I drove the car, and I will say as I have said before, the V8 has a great sound when you really get on it

Old 05-30-2005, 05:47 AM
C4
Banned
Ford = Junk

'Nuff said.

Quick Reply: Markup on 2005 Mustangs is outrageous!