Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Tried to stuff a V8 in a mini...

Old 09-21-2005, 07:58 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This thread is really not MINI TALK so I am moving it to Off Topic :: Autos.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
yeah......i'm sure

Rick,
Is this considered a "Redneck Ferrari" or is that the nickname for Mike's Z06?
My other car is "Snow White Hearse" or "Hight Top Tennis Shoe" and a many Stang GT has limped away crying. But should one of these be faster than mine, I still go home in a cool car and not in one of a million Ford or Chevy. But hey millions can't be wrong.

Herbert

Old 09-21-2005, 08:55 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, considering this isnt a GT mustang, its a different story.

the mach is simply an unsupercharged 03 Cobra, with a solid axle.

well, we'll see how long it stays un supercharged.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:00 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mach1's, Corvettes....SNORESVILLE. Both are had under $20k around here, and both are crap quality, ESPECIALLY the interior.

These are my buddies here at work - both a modified Mach1 (underdrive, intake, headers, flowmasters, ecu) and a modified C5 (exhaust, intake).

We race street and strip all the time. Because the C5 still has runflats, the Mach1 and I take it off the line, but he passes about 60. The Mach1 takes me just slightly off the line but I ('05 MCS intake, 15%, ecu, wheels/tires) pull him in 1st, and he slowly walks by at the top of 2nd, getting about a 1/2 car length at 70.

Both rattle non-stop, have mismatched colors, textures, gaps, etc. all over the place - ride like crap, and are depreciating faster than you can make payments. The vette is a daily driver and is constantly in and out of the shop. It's had to be towed to a dealer 5 times in the last month while they monkeyed with the steering lock solenoid freezing and locking the collum. There is no permanent factory fix, other than buy a C6 (he laughed at that suggestion) or remove it on your own with a $100 spoof kit).

American V8=nice power+crappy car=blah car that makes a lot of noise but really isn't going anywhere all that fast.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 224.jpg (56.7 KB, 14 views)
Picture 226.jpg (49.0 KB, 15 views)
Picture 225.jpg (60.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Manuel B
3rd Gear
You CAN put a V8 in a Mini,

More pictures and the story here:

http://www.geocities.com/jharkola/Viku2.html

Old 09-22-2005, 07:21 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
Mach1's, Corvettes....SNORESVILLE. Both are had under $20k around here, and both are crap quality, ESPECIALLY the interior.

These are my buddies here at work - both a modified Mach1 (underdrive, intake, headers, flowmasters, ecu) and a modified C5 (exhaust, intake).

We race street and strip all the time. Because the C5 still has runflats, the Mach1 and I take it off the line, but he passes about 60. The Mach1 takes me just slightly off the line but I ('05 MCS intake, 15%, ecu, wheels/tires) pull him in 1st, and he slowly walks by at the top of 2nd, getting about a 1/2 car length at 70.

Both rattle non-stop, have mismatched colors, textures, gaps, etc. all over the place - ride like crap, and are depreciating faster than you can make payments. The vette is a daily driver and is constantly in and out of the shop. It's had to be towed to a dealer 5 times in the last month while they monkeyed with the steering lock solenoid freezing and locking the collum. There is no permanent factory fix, other than buy a C6 (he laughed at that suggestion) or remove it on your own with a $100 spoof kit).

American V8=nice power+crappy car=blah car that makes a lot of noise but really isn't going anywhere all that fast.
Geez, after reading your post I started wanting to trade my much loved MINI for a Mustang, Corvette, or maybe a new GTO.:impatient

Old 09-22-2005, 07:52 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Congrats on the Vette. One of my friends and track buddies has a C5. Great car. He loves it. I don't fit in in very comfortably. Not as much room as the MINI:smile:

Old 09-22-2005, 09:52 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
The column lock bypass is a $50 permenant fix, The drivetrain is bulletproof.. Everyone knows the runflats suck... Thats why they didn't use them on the Z06. I owned C5 vettes for 6 years and had no rattles or the other things your post revealed.
The mini has its share of problems... too many in fact... My brand new mini has rattles in the dash like you expect in a $8K Kia along with other buzzes from the doors and trim. It's one of the best FWD cars on the road, but its still FWD and has limitations when it comes to performance.
Havent found the perfect car yet.. don't think it exists.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by asodestrom
Congrats on the Vette. One of my friends and track buddies has a C5. Great car. He loves it. I don't fit in in very comfortably. Not as much room as the MINI:smile:
Thanks! I fit (6'3) but I could always use a bit more. The mini has more headroom but lacks in width on the footwells. The pedals are spaced better on the vette for me because of the width...
I fit in my xB with no problem! but its too slow..

Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mikem53
Havent found the perfect car yet.. don't think it exists.
Well if there was a perfect car, all engineers could go home and look for different jobs. Plus of course every car has its little "hickups" and problems, and you have to decide which one of these problems you can live with.

Close to perfect is my BMW Mcoupe, it is fast, handles well and allthough many folks think it is ugly, I love the looks. Now if mine was the S54 version it would be even closer to perfection.
:-)
Herbert

Old 09-22-2005, 05:46 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
My Z06 trips to the dealers for repair - 0. No rattles, creaks, problems, etc. One very fast, great handling car. Will smoke a MINI any day.

My 98 C5 (39,000 miles) trips to the dealer - 2. For a broken window regulator, replace the convertible top, and a recall on the column lock. Still no rattles and the seat leather looks better than the wife's BMW. Been over 160 a couple times, great car for those days when you want to put the top down. 31% depreciation after 7 years and on a very slow depreciation curve.

BMW 330i (33,000 miles) trips to the dealer - 5. Three different trips to replace three different window regulators and two different trips to replace front control arm bushings. One of the nicest cars I've ever driven. Smooth like silk, fast and very quiet. 48% depreciation after 4.5 years.

Two MINI's with 21,000 miles between them. No trips to the dealer and just plain fun cars. Not enough torque off the line, has rattles in the interior, wouldn't trade either except for another MINI.

It would be nice if we didn't have to come on these boards and listen to folks badmouth cars they don't even own. Look how many MINI's have been bought back under the lemon law.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:50 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I want to mention that our Corvette has had very few problems in 15 years of ownership. The a/c went out because hubby didn't use it enough and on the rare occasion that I'd ride in it with him, he discovered it wasn't functioning properly. The other issue has been with the lousy Bose sound system. But the engine has been fantastic! No problems with it whatsoever!

Clover

Old 09-22-2005, 06:09 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 2Miniacs
My Z06 trips to the dealers for repair - 0. No rattles, creaks, problems, etc. One very fast, great handling car. Will smoke a MINI any day.

It would be nice if we didn't have to come on these boards and listen to folks badmouth cars they don't even own. Look how many MINI's have been bought back under the lemon law.
Amen to that....

Old 09-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 2Miniacs
I don't have to wear a cellphone on my belt with a Polo Shirt tucked in tight in my khaki shorts and pair of tassle loafers on my feet to know that this look is not for me.
I personally would not buy either a Corvette, a Mach1 or any other Stang, a Camaro or a Viper no matter how great they actually are or maybe, because neither car is my taste.
We "badmouthers" all said congrats regarding your new toys, but that does not mean that we have to like them. Plus if you come to a MINI board bragging, shouldn't you expect a little flack?

Cheers,
Herbert

Old 09-22-2005, 09:13 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang harsh words towards fellow car enthusiats.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:34 AM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
A true car enthusiast appreciates different cars for what they are. The problem with a lot of car forums is that if you aren't driving a MINI and you're on a MINI forum, for example (Corvette forums are some of the worse at this), then your car sucks. There aren't many cars out there nowadays that suck. The Yugo and the Fuego were cars that sucked. It would be nice if you go to any forum board and have TRUE car enthusiasts and not just brand enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Moskito
I don't have to wear a cellphone on my belt with a Polo Shirt tucked in tight in my khaki shorts and pair of tassle loafers on my feet to know that this look is not for me.
I personally would not buy either a Corvette, a Mach1 or any other Stang, a Camaro or a Viper no matter how great they actually are or maybe, because neither car is my taste.
We "badmouthers" all said congrats regarding your new toys, but that does not mean that we have to like them. Plus if you come to a MINI board bragging, shouldn't you expect a little flack?

Cheers,
Herbert
"I don't have to wear a cellphone on my belt with a Polo Shirt tucked in tight in my khaki shorts and pair of tassle loafers on my feet to know that this look is not for me."

I doubt that stereotype is any more accurate than MINI's being chick cars or gay cars.

I didn't see any bragging, I saw enthusiasm for a new toy. Of course you don't have to share this enthusiasm, but calling the new purchase "crap" as at least one poster did, seems over-the-top to me.

I think, "If you have nothing good to say just don't say anything" would apply here.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
"I don't have to wear a cellphone on my belt with a Polo Shirt tucked in tight in my khaki shorts and pair of tassle loafers on my feet to know that this look is not for me."

I doubt that stereotype is any more accurate than MINI's being chick cars or gay cars.
Who labeled anything and what sterotype is that? Did I say what it represented? I said that look is not for me, that is it.

I agree that if you have nothing nice to say say nothing. But we all should also be able to have a bit of humor. If you create a thread in the Mini forum (not the Off Topic Autos) with the title "Tried to stuff a V8 in a Mini" to get people to look at your "other car" you should be able to take a little rubbing.

Can we all now be happy little motorers again?

Cheers,
Herbert

Old 09-23-2005, 10:01 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Who labeled anything and what sterotype is that? Did I say what it represented? I said that look is not for me, that is it.

I agree that if you have nothing nice to say say nothing. But we all should also be able to have a bit of humor. If you create a thread in the Mini forum (not the Off Topic Autos) with the title "Tried to stuff a V8 in a Mini" to get people to look at your "other car" you should be able to take a little rubbing.

Can we all now be happy little motorers again?

Cheers,
Herbert
OK, I guess I just don't understand what this means:

No problem I'll just ignore it now.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:16 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
It means exactly what it says. I have worked for many years where that is the normal dress style among many employees. I don't care for it either, and chose to wear button downs and ties, sometimes a coat. I can't stand my phone on my hip - it's always in my pocket. A lo of my friends who wear a phone on their belt like to do it for the attention...although I think the cool factor of having a new smaller-than-yours cell phone pretty much went out the window, when just about every grade schooler has one

Some people REALLY read too much into things.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:33 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
But if you really try...

It's amazing what you can do with a shoehorn. This is not a Photoshop trick. I saw this car, (not a Mini), saw it running and parked, and took this and some other pics myself...

Old 09-23-2005, 12:08 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Congrats on your new Vette, but I’m thinking you didn’t really understand the dynamics of the MINI when you bought one.

A MINI has never intended to be a sheer power car like a Vette. Vettes go great on a straight road, even throw in some turns, but when it comes to tight handling only and needing moderate pickup to get you in to the next set of tight turns, that’s MINI country. You probably drive around town only so I can see where you would miss the vette.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sndwave
Congrats on your new Vette, but I’m thinking you didn’t really understand the dynamics of the MINI when you bought one.

A MINI has never intended to be a sheer power car like a Vette. Vettes go great on a straight road, even throw in some turns, but when it comes to tight handling only and needing moderate pickup to get you in to the next set of tight turns, that’s MINI country. You probably drive around town only so I can see where you would miss the vette.
You need to read up on the Z06... Its built for the road course, loves twisties..
It pulls 1.0 G on the skidpad... It's not the vette of yesteryear...

Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 PM
mikem53
5th Gear

Cheers,
Herbert
Let me refresh your memory...

(other insults removed)

Now.. is that the way you treat a fellow enthusiast who is getting ready to purchase a car he loves? If you don't like it, move on... keep your crude remarks to yourself and let the guy enjoy his car of choice..

Old 09-23-2005, 01:09 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by mikem53
You need to read up on the Z06... Its built for the road course, loves twisties..
It pulls 1.0 G on the skidpad... It's not the vette of yesteryear...
Believe me you're not going to sell me on a vette and I'l never be able to explain the real driving power of what a MINI is.

Please enjoy your new car and I truley mean that.

Quick Reply: Tried to stuff a V8 in a mini...