Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Tried to stuff a V8 in a mini...

Old 09-21-2005, 02:22 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried to stuff a V8 in a mini...

but I knew it wouldn't fit... So I ended up buying a Z06 today...
While I think the mini is a fun car, it's missing that low end grunt that only a V8 with RWD can deliver. I only had the mini for a few months... but long enough to know I will never be fully satisfied with the power delivery.

The mini will remain in the family! I am giving it to my son. We will both use it for driving events and he will use it for a second car to keep the miles off his M3.
So while it is leaving my house... it's still in the family.. Needless to say he is pleased to get the mini...

The Z06 gets 20 - 22 mpg in the city and 30 on the Hwy... The mini was giving me about 24 on average... which is really poor for a 168HP.
So I'm back in a 2004 Z06 again... this one is like new with 2700 miles on the meter and driven by a retired gentlemen who babied it.. just for me..

Old 09-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I can relate, but I feel that the 05+ MCS (improved gearing), especially with extra power (JCW in my case), is still very very zippy.

However, my "relate" feeling is increased more, because my "other" car is a 1995 Mustang GT 5.0L... and yes I love that low-end V8 grunt too. I kept it, and I will always keep it... I sunk WAY too much money into it, improving its performance (all across the board, not simply power), to sell it. On those days when I just want that SHOVE in the back, it's a blast. Feels so big and heavy though, after the MINI. :smile:

Old 09-21-2005, 02:29 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way I'd have a Z06 is if....

I could somehow find the money to get one.

Congratulations, I had a 67 Corvette back in 68, sure wish I'd have kept it.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:59 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Definitely different strokes for different folks, Mike. Hubby owns a Corvette and to me, it feels like a heavy tank. I prefer the nimbleness of the MINI. Enjoy your new toy and glad the MINI is still in your family! Are the Vette forums as fun as the MINI ones?

Clover

Old 09-21-2005, 03:56 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Definitely different strokes for different folks, Mike. Hubby owns a Corvette and to me, it feels like a heavy tank. I prefer the nimbleness of the MINI. Enjoy your new toy and glad the MINI is still in your family! Are the Vette forums as fun as the MINI ones?

Clover
Thanks... it's not that I don't like the mini... it's just lacking some of the key ingredients I find important... Thought I could learn to be different... but I guess I'm too old...
The vette does have more heft.. but at 3118 lbs... its power to weight ratio is far into the fun zone...
which vette does your hubby have..

Old 09-21-2005, 04:11 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikem53
Thanks... it's not that I don't like the mini... it's just lacking some of the key ingredients I find important... Thought I could learn to be different... but I guess I'm too old...
The vette does have more heft.. but at 3118 lbs... its power to weight ratio is far into the fun zone...
which vette does your hubby have..
I am "cloverb52," so I guess I'm older than you are, tee hee! We have a '91, white with grey leather interior, that he bought new for his mid-life crisis! My first MINI, an all-Pure Silver Cooper was my 50th birthday gift...and my first mid-life crisis toy! Wanda is my second m-l crisis toy!

Clover

Old 09-21-2005, 04:16 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
I am "cloverb52," so I guess I'm older than you are, tee hee! We have a '91, white with grey leather interior, that he bought new for his mid-life crisis! My first MINI, an all-Pure Silver Cooper was my 50th birthday gift...and my first mid-life crisis toy! Wanda is my second m-l crisis toy!

Clover
Try a newer vette sometime... a C5 or C6.. I think you will find it a very different experience... My mid life crisis toy was a 99 vette.. the crisis continues... but in a more powerful way..
I love cars and I'm glad the mini will still be around... My son is looking forward to it..

Old 09-21-2005, 04:28 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Are the Vette forums as fun as the MINI ones?
Clover
The vette forums are awesome...They are a knowledgeable group always willing to help with any questions... A vast amount of experience in the group.
They are into quarter mile runs as well as driving events, about equal.
There is not alot of name calling or bashing... mostly tech talk and track times..
I've been a member on there since 99..

Old 09-21-2005, 05:30 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the Z06 Mike. They are awesome cars. I'm on my second and love it....but I find myself driving the MINI way more just because it's fun. I get about 18 MPG in town in the vette and around 25 in the MINI, so it is a little more frugal on gas. Thinking about doing an autocross this weekend and will be taking the MINI. See ya over on the vette forums.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:38 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 2Miniacs
Congrats on the Z06 Mike. They are awesome cars. I'm on my second and love it....but I find myself driving the MINI way more just because it's fun. I get about 18 MPG in town in the vette and around 25 in the MINI, so it is a little more frugal on gas. Thinking about doing an autocross this weekend and will be taking the MINI. See ya over on the vette forums.
Thanks! I would have kept the mini too, but I have the Scion xB which is frugal on gas and can haul all kinds of cargo when needed. My son lusted for the mini since day one... so it will be enjoyed for sure... We will share the mini for the track too... so its a good situation all around...

Old 09-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I can relate beyond a doubt. I have a friend at work that got an 05 Z06. Just incredible beyond belief. Now the 06 Z06 coming out is even more of a supercar. My wife wants it bad. The car! The car! Maybe after Icarus is paid off ....

Old 09-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Mike,
Congrats on your new toy, but I must admit that I can't relate. I did not buy my Cooper S because I wanted to have the fastest car on the block, I bought it for its looks and the fun way it drives and the big smile it puts on my face everyday. I should not say never, but I just can't see myself in a "Stang" or a "Vette" no matter how much horsepower they have.
But hey, you need to be happy in it, not me. :-)
Happy motoring
Herbert

05 MCS, 03 Litespeed Ghisallo, 99 MCoupe

Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Moskito
Mike,
Congrats on your new toy, but I must admit that I can't relate. I did not buy my Cooper S because I wanted to have the fastest car on the block, I bought it for its looks and the fun way it drives and the big smile it puts on my face everyday. I should not say never, but I just can't see myself in a "Stang" or a "Vette" no matter how much horsepower they have.
But hey, you need to be happy in it, not me. :-)
Happy motoring
Herbert

05 MCS, 03 Litespeed Ghisallo, 99 MCoupe
Thanks...Never claimed it to be the fastest car on the block.. There is always someone faster.. It's the instant torque thats available at any rpm that allows you to put the car where and when you want it... Its not just HP..
The Z06 is built for the track.. basically its a factory race car... It's not a pony car..

Old 09-21-2005, 06:28 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
let's not turn this to a Vette thread pls . Good job, Mike, congradulations. As far as I am concerned, I AM OUT on CORVETTES....

Old 09-21-2005, 06:30 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mike, i'm in the same boat as you now!

i test drove an 03 Mach 1 today and i forgot what 320 horses felt like!

mini is for sale, going to look into financing tomorow!

http://www.carexpress.com/001427/F3488.jpg

my future baby.

i love the MINI, but ive had my fun with it, its time to move on back to what i'm used to having - HORSEPOWER!!!!

Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
mike, i'm in the same boat as you now!

i test drove an 03 Mach 1 today and i forgot what 320 horses felt like!

mini is for sale, going to look into financing tomorow!

i love the MINI, but ive had my fun with it, its time to move on back to what i'm used to having - HORSEPOWER!!!!
Haha.. I FULLY understand... It's nice to experience different cars.. This is number 36 for me... I enjoy the variety..
I looked at the new Mustang, GTO and M35 Infinity... but I kept going back to the vette... Nice looking mustang...!!! Good luck on your purchase...
Be sure to kick the tail out around a corner with your right foot...

Old 09-21-2005, 06:48 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Haha.. I FULLY understand... It's nice to experience different cars.. This is number 36 for me... I enjoy the variety..
I looked at the new Mustang, GTO and M35 Infinity... but I kept going back to the vette... Nice looking mustang...!!! Good luck on your purchase...
Be sure to kick the tail out around a corner with your right foot...
Well, my first car was a 73 mach 1 (i still own it), after that i had a 73 challenger with a 440, after that i downgraded to a 73 Karmann ghia ( i swear, 73 is my lucky number) then i had a few Fiero's, then i moved on to an 81 corvette, and then to the MINI.

ive been horspower deprived for quite a while, the vette was a 16 second car, only 190 horspower in 81.

i'm really hoping all goes well and i get this one. its been sitting on the lot for about a month, so i dont think its going anywhere.

and, as far as gassing it on a corner, i already have, and i damn near gave the saleman a heart attack.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:09 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Are you sure? An old bodystyle, out-dated, ugly Mustang? What a big loss for NAM, Rick is out

Betrayal is unforgiven...

Old 09-21-2005, 07:11 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
yeah......i'm sure

Old 09-21-2005, 07:14 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ariercetinberk
Are you sure? An old bodystyle, out-dated, ugly Mustang? What a big loss for NAM, Rick is out

betrayal eh? thats the best one yet, all ive heard so far was traitor!

i'll stick around, i still have a wealth of MINI knowlage to share with everyone. i'll just be frequenting the mach1 boards a bit more often! :smile:

Old 09-21-2005, 07:35 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ariercetinberk

Looks are subjective... nice way to cheer the guy on.... amazing...

Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
i hope this doesnt turn into another one of those threads where evryoe turns on the people selling their mini's lol

Old 09-21-2005, 07:48 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Well, you would have gotten some of it if you sold the Mini
Anyways, like you said looks are subjective, I wish you and Rick luck and fun in your new cars...

Just one favor, with all respect, lets keep in mind this is a Mini site, if I would like to listen how fast the Vette and Mustangs are, I read their forums. Seriously, no offence...

CHEERS

Looks are subjective... nice way to cheer the guy on.... amazing...

Old 09-21-2005, 07:49 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Not for a Mustang

Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
i hope this doesnt turn into another one of those threads where evryoe turns on the people selling their mini's lol

Old 09-21-2005, 07:58 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
Good luck on your new adventure.

Mustangs have always held a "special place" on my favorite list.
Along with a '69 convertible, I have owned a '68 hardtop and
'71 "Sprint Special".

Before I ordered my MCS, I came close to owning a Rousch Stage II.
Even though I have never regretted my choice, I can well understand
yours.

Quick Reply: Tried to stuff a V8 in a mini...