Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

DaimlerChrysler to announce plans to sell two-seater Smart car in U.S.

Old 06-27-2006 | 02:59 PM
domc
|
3rd Gear
DaimlerChrysler to announce plans to sell two-seater Smart car in U.S.

This is great news about the SMART CAR. They are officially going to sell these here now. In the past it's been through third party dealers. Now if they could only get the price down. Maybe competition will help. For those who don't know about the smart car, there are links at the bottom of this message.
---------------------
DETROIT (AP) - DaimlerChrysler AG (NYSE:DCX) chairman Dieter Zetsche on Wednesday will announce plans to sell its micro Smart car in the United States next year, a company official said.

Zetsche is scheduled to meet with reporters Wednesday morning to make the announcement at the Detroit Athletic Club, the company source said Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the information had not been officially released. The Wall Street Journal first reported the planned launch Saturday, citing people familiar with the matter that it didn't name.
Smart, a brand that has been popular in Europe, offers the funky-looking two-seat fortwo model, but its other models, a roadster, and the four-seat forfour, are being discontinued in Europe, according to its website.

The brand has never turned a profit, and the company said earlier this month that sales of all models fell 21.5 per cent for the year.
Smart already has launched its two-seater model in Canada, where the company said initial sales have been good.
http://www.canada.com/topics/technol...ee4ca1&k=83231
--------------------------------------------------

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=65401

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=67234

Old 06-27-2006 | 03:33 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Cool. I'd take the roadster myself

Old 06-27-2006 | 03:39 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
It'll be interesting to see how compromised that car will be to meet US safety requirements. I know they've used them on private property and golf courses and etc here in the past few years, but I doubt that the Smart I saw in Europe will be the same Smart we'd see here on the road. Interesting though!

The thing about umtra-mini vehicles is that while they are perfect city cars... the concept depends on EVERYONE driving small vehicles to be truly feasible. The things we have to put up with in urban traffic conditions in MINIs and Minis are bad enough... try navigating downtown among the stepvans and Expeditions and buses and so on... in a Smart car. In SF we have these little three wheeled pods the tourists rent and zip around, but every time I see one of those in traffic, it's disconcerting. They can't see traffic, and traffic can't see them.

Old 06-27-2006 | 03:44 PM
domc
|
3rd Gear
I believe that the only one they are selling anywhere even in Europe is the smallest car. The roadster and 4 seater version are no longer made.

I've seen some crash tests and the car holds up well but not much to say about the occupents. In any car it just "hurts" to get into a car accident at high speed.

They have passed all safety tests done with DOT and the USA gov't. That's why Diamler is planning on making these available in the USA. They were approved by the gov't around March of this year.

I would definitly get one of these if they were around $15000. They are selling for $26000 which is just outragous. I actually saw one at a car show and the quality is not that great.
Reminds my of the 70's econo boxes inside. I would not drive these on a freeway. Around town would be excellent and that's what they are intended for I believe.

In anycase, I'll be watching the progress of these cars in hopes of getting one in a few years depending on price.

Old 06-27-2006 | 04:07 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by domc

I would definitly get one of these if they were around $15000. They are selling for $26000 which is just outragous. I actually saw one at a car show and the quality is not that great.
$10,000 maybe.

Old 06-27-2006 | 05:22 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by domc
The brand has never turned a profit, and the company said earlier this month that sales of all models fell 21.5 per cent for the year
What a great way to run a company

Old 06-27-2006 | 05:47 PM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
I have seen a couple of the roadsters here in san diego about a month ago.

Old 06-27-2006 | 05:48 PM
BartMack
6th Gear
I saw them in Mexico a few years ago, and got to sit in one but not drive it. I think they're cool as doo, but clearly not for the expressway.

Price is an issue, but I expect they'll be a hit in the bigger metro-suburban areas. My favorite was the Crossblade version, which is open/weatherproof, like a 2 seat motorcycle. Lime green & black, baby!!

Old 06-27-2006 | 06:05 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
If they can't succeed selling them in Europe, where small cars are popular and almost essential, what hope have they got over here?!

Old 06-28-2006 | 03:28 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
i rather have a Demio then that.

Old 06-29-2006 | 02:54 PM
tennis_man
3rd Gear
A company called Zap has already set up a distributor network here and is selling them. Check their web site to locate a dealer near you:
http://www.zapworld.com/cars/dealerlocator.asp

Old 06-30-2006 | 07:15 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Just Mod It

If you get one just make it a track day car.
Can you say DRIFT?

Old 07-11-2006 | 12:35 PM
RudyT
4th Gear
The SMART car can hold its own ground in the toughest of crouds. I can tell you that its certainly not for the enthusiast like MINI owners, me included :-)

Its not as if I had some sort of mental condition and I had a SMART car thinking... what size supercharger shall I install, or, what size rims should I add. Maybe this week I'll add the aerokit and add some custom graphics.

Its a common mans or womans kind of car with thier life filled with bordem or dare I say "empty logic".

This car does have its place. It has a niche to fill, a genre, a special job that people will want this car todo.

In a US market over populated with large SUV's and pickup trucks, this car might actually do well. Europe is growing tired of small cars with no ummph. They soon will be like Americans, buying bigger, faster cars.

But I certainly can't forsee the future... Only speculate.

Old 07-11-2006 | 12:48 PM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Oh and lets not forget zap's other creation also headed this way
http://www.obvio.ind.br/obviona/home.htm

which use the same engine as we do. including a 250 hp version