R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Used MINI Purchase Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:33 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Used MINI Purchase Questions...

Greetings,

While I'd really like to get a new 2007 MINI, my budget may or may not allow for that right now....

Meanwhile, my ol' '96 Integra just turned over 199K and is really starting to show its age the past week....so need to do something soon....

Therefore, I need to evaluate the althernate option of getting a very good condition used MINI.

So, have a few questions for this illustrious group please....

1) Any pros/cons for getting a particular year of MINI?

I mean besides the obvious points that a 2002 MINI is older than a 2005 MINI and will most likely be cheaper, etc...

What I'm really asking is there particular year MINI's that either had more or fewer problems?

Did the MINI's get progressively better, more refined, less bugs, etc as each year went by, etc??

2) Drove what appeared to be a nice '04 MCS today. Felt very solid and drove great, but has 50K miles on it, dealer is asking about $19.9K for it...

Would it make more sense to either look for a lower mileage (+/- 25-40K miles...) '04 MCS or a '05 MCS either at this price or slightly higher?

I'm presuming from my very quick look online that getting a '06 gets very close to the price of a '07 such that I'd probably just be tempted to spend a few more bucks and get a new one...does that make sense?

3) My wife has a '00 New Beetle. While overall she enjoys it, it has one major problem for her and we don't want to repeat it in any other car we might get.

The problem is the fresh air ventilation system and A/C system design is poor.

During most of the year here in the SF Bay area we have good, sunny weather but not too hot where we are. However, due to the placement of the air duct (according to our mechanic) it picks up heat from the engine or heater core and thus even on a moderately warm day, the air that comes out feels warm instead of cool. As a result, my wife who's very sensitive to heat, needs to use the A/C much more than she did in previous cars.

So, my question is whether the fresh air system in the MINI's have this issue or do you normally get reasonably cool (don't mean as cool as A/C...) air coming out of the vents??

Obviously, will test this out ourselves, but my wife would really like the input of you guys who've used your MINI's day after day as opposed to our relatively quick test drives....

4) Any other thoughts/concerns/tips regarding getting a used MINI??

Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

Old 05-15-2007, 06:44 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely get an '05 or newer if you can swing it. Bugs were worked out by '05 & the gearing is better.

As to getting fresh air flow thru the vents without the fan running (if that's what you mean), mine doesn't do that. You can either choose recirculated air or outside air when the A/C or just the fan is running but living in the Alabama heat I pretty muchly always use the A/C. For me the best way to get fresh air is by going topless

Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
1) the gearing was changed on the MINIs after 04 to give the car more go in the low range -- this is not something that you can easily change aftermarket. . . so if you care about seat-of-the-pants feeling of acceleration off the line, go with a newer car.

2) that seems like an extremely high price for a car with that many miles. Just look at some of the posts on the marketplace here on NAM and you'll find better deals. Sure, dealer prices are always higher 'cause you pay for peace of mind, but if you can get an 05 or 06 with 10-20k miles for the same price and still under warranty, go with that.

3) Little experience with AC. I have the cabrio and rarely use AC, but I've been happy with it when I had to resort to it.

4) I got mine used (through eBay actually) and have loved every minute of it. Good luck and, if your Integra will hold on a little longer, be patient and take your time -- the right car will show up.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me the best way to get fresh air is by going topless
Awww, jeez, now I'm getting hot!
$19.9 for an 04 just out of warranty is way too much. Keep looking, center on 05s with lower mileage. The gearing advantage on 05+ is worth the extra coin. I (personally, just me, no offense) would stay away from the 07s, as 1st year models tend to be more problematic. Same as the 02s.
Best of luck in your search, and hope you score soon!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:29 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Definitely get an '05 or newer if you can swing it. Bugs were worked out by '05 & the gearing is better.

As to getting fresh air flow thru the vents without the fan running (if that's what you mean), mine doesn't do that. You can either choose recirculated air or outside air when the A/C or just the fan is running but living in the Alabama heat I pretty muchly always use the A/C. For me the best way to get fresh air is by going topless
Thanks, bamatt, for your input!

As for the fresh air flow issue what I meant was, when you just have 'fresh air' setting with the fan on to help move the air, does the air feel somewhat cool or is it often warm like in my wife's Beetle???

That is the question.....

Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
1) the gearing was changed on the MINIs after 04 to give the car more go in the low range -- this is not something that you can easily change aftermarket. . . so if you care about seat-of-the-pants feeling of acceleration off the line, go with a newer car.

2) that seems like an extremely high price for a car with that many miles. Just look at some of the posts on the marketplace here on NAM and you'll find better deals. Sure, dealer prices are always higher 'cause you pay for peace of mind, but if you can get an 05 or 06 with 10-20k miles for the same price and still under warranty, go with that.

3) Little experience with AC. I have the cabrio and rarely use AC, but I've been happy with it when I had to resort to it.

4) I got mine used (through eBay actually) and have loved every minute of it. Good luck and, if your Integra will hold on a little longer, be patient and take your time -- the right car will show up.
Thanks for your input, eager2own.... good info...

I agree that asking price for that 04 MCS today was on the high side for the mileage....I already found some lower mileage cars at similar prices...

As mentioned in my recent post above, I'm not so concerned about A/C as I am about how well the 'fresh air' system works (without A/C on)...although obviously, I would like A/C to work well when needed...

Old 05-15-2007, 07:35 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 3cocinas
Awww, jeez, now I'm getting hot!
$19.9 for an 04 just out of warranty is way too much. Keep looking, center on 05s with lower mileage. The gearing advantage on 05+ is worth the extra coin. I (personally, just me, no offense) would stay away from the 07s, as 1st year models tend to be more problematic. Same as the 02s.
Best of luck in your search, and hope you score soon!
That's what I felt too, 3cocinas...but you know those dealers (wasn't MINI dealer BTW...)...

Appreciate your thoughts about model years too, and thanks for the good wishes!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
$19.9K for a 2004 model with 50,000 miles on the clock? Was it at least certified with a warranty?

I just checked my dealer's inventory on the website and they still have brand new 2006 models in stock. In fact they have 18 2006 Cooper S. While shopping, ask if your dealer if they have any left over 2006. I'm pretty sure they'll be more than willing to deal.

Good luck on your search.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
$19.9K for a 2004 model with 50,000 miles on the clock? Was it at least certified with a warranty?

I just checked my dealer's inventory on the website and they still have brand new 2006 models in stock. In fact they have 18 2006 Cooper S. While shopping, ask if your dealer if they have any left over 2006. I'm pretty sure they'll be more than willing to deal.

Good luck on your search.
No, but they said they were happy to sell me an extended warranty....

Will check with local dealer on 06's....

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 AM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Always remember that the MINI carries a 4 year 50000 mile warranty (bumper to bumper) fully transferable...
Some even have 3 year 36000 mile maintanance included...
Also check with some local MINI clubs in your area, they can steer you to mechanics (in case you buy one out of warranty..That's what I did)
BTW I have an 2002 MCS and has been reliable, but with a few known issues,...(never left me stranded though and nothing very major)

Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by okraD La
Always remember that the MINI carries a 4 year 50000 mile warranty (bumper to bumper) fully transferable...
Some even have 3 year 36000 mile maintanance included...
Also check with some local MINI clubs in your area, they can steer you to mechanics (in case you buy one out of warranty..That's what I did)
BTW I have an 2002 MCS and has been reliable, but with a few known issues,...(never left me stranded though and nothing very major)
Good points, okraD.....

Although too bad the 04 MINI I looked at yesterday had 50500 miles on it.....

Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
1) Go '04 or '05. Go drive one of each at MMV if they have them. The gearing of the '05 is worth it. I went with an '04 because of the color (Indi Blue) and I got a screamin' deal out of State.

2) That's big bucks. Consider looking out of State - there is an issue of inspection, but if you get an '05, you're still in warranty. Prices here are easily a few thousand more than elsewhere.

3) I've got the auto climate control, usually set to 70 with the AC off. That's as close as I get to 'vent' - temp has not been a problem.

Good luck with the purchase!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Qksquirt
2nd Gear
We own both a 07 beetle and an 06 MINI and the MINI wins hands down for ventilation. It puts the Beetle to shame.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
1) Go '04 or '05. Go drive one of each at MMV if they have them. The gearing of the '05 is worth it. I went with an '04 because of the color (Indi Blue) and I got a screamin' deal out of State.

2) That's big bucks. Consider looking out of State - there is an issue of inspection, but if you get an '05, you're still in warranty. Prices here are easily a few thousand more than elsewhere.

3) I've got the auto climate control, usually set to 70 with the AC off. That's as close as I get to 'vent' - temp has not been a problem.

Good luck with the purchase!
Thanks for your advice and encouragement, Eric!....

As for 2) 'big bucks', I agree and felt that asking price at that dealer (not MINI dealer...) was too high, probably could negotiate it down quite a bit...

Good to hear regarding 3) vent issue.....

Old 05-16-2007, 03:05 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Qksquirt
We own both a 07 beetle and an 06 MINI and the MINI wins hands down for ventilation. It puts the Beetle to shame.
Excellent, Qksquirt!!! This news will make my better half feel much better!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:39 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ArchiMark
So, my question is whether the fresh air system in the MINI's have this issue or do you normally get reasonably cool (don't mean as cool as A/C...) air coming out of the vents??
Yes, I have warm air coming out the vents, and I have wondered why, and reading your post, that may be the reason, i.e., placement of the vent near the engine or heater core. However, I must say that you can change it, by opening the vent. Then, it is a non-issue, except on warm days, when the air coming in is warm. So, I've had experiences both ways. It's not perfect, but I find it pretty good. It really depends on where you left the vent from the prior drive and where you left your heat or A/C setting. If you had the heat on for your last drive, the vent will blow some warm air on your next drive even though you did not turn on the heat on this drive, and the same for the A/C (i.e., cool air). So, I guess the answer to your question, is you can adjust it.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jazmini
Yes, I have warm air coming out the vents, and I have wondered why, and reading your post, that may be the reason, i.e., placement of the vent near the engine or heater core. However, I must say that you can change it, by opening the vent. Then, it is a non-issue, except on warm days, when the air coming in is warm. So, I've had experiences both ways. It's not perfect, but I find it pretty good. It really depends on where you left the vent from the prior drive and where you left your heat or A/C setting. If you had the heat on for your last drive, the vent will blow some warm air on your next drive even though you did not turn on the heat on this drive, and the same for the A/C (i.e., cool air). So, I guess the answer to your question, is you can adjust it.
That's interesting to hear, jazmini....as I drove 2 more 2005 Mini Cooper S's today (tough job....) and purposely noticed how the fresh air worked and it seemed fine to me

Also, I've found that the A/C works very well and for me is quite cool....had to turn it down...