R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI Battery Bracket issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007 | 11:59 AM
plantain
|
2nd Gear
MINI Battery Bracket issues

So I noticed the EverStart battery 47-3 at Walmart doesn't fit my 2005 MC for two reasons - 1, it is too short, so the battery terminals aren't high enough to reach the edge of the box where the metal connectors are, and 2, the top of the battery is not the same shape as the original battery so the bracket won't fit.

I believe I can rectify #1 by putting a piece of 1/2" thick wood underneath the battery.

However, #2 is a bit trickier. Does anyone know who actually makes the Mini battery? I've noticed that other battery makers, although they have a group 47 battery, the top design is different.

Or, how many of you managed to find a battery bracket that works with different shaped battery tops?

FYI, in case any of you live in the Los Angeles area, here are the batteries I've already tried:

1. EverStart - made by Johnson Controls, sold by Walmart. Too short, top too wide to accomodate bracket. Cost is $51.74.
2. Kragen Auto parts house battery - made by ???. Cost is $85.
3. Sears Die Hard battery - made by ???. Cost is $87.

Seriously, the EverStart looks like the best value overall. It was the only one that came with a vent tube, and vent tube adapter that connected to the existing MINI vent tube perfectly. The only problem is the top design. Ideally, someone should make a nylon strap that has screw attachments that go into each of the two screw holes inside the battery box, with a wench to tighten it down.

I suppose I could just go to BMW and buy the battery - there is a MINI part number on top - anyone know how to read the sticker to figure out when the battery was manufactured? I don't see a manufacture month and year anywhere on my battery, and I'd like to be able to examine the one at the BMW parts counter to make sure it isn't super-old.

Last edited by plantain; 05-24-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2007 | 01:07 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
well the Sears Die Hard battery is actually made by a company called Die Hard, but thats all i can help you with, I actually havent ever seen my battery

Old 05-24-2007 | 01:25 PM
plantain
|
2nd Gear
So, upon doing some 'net searching, I determined that it is probably likely that the MINI battery that I have is probably made by Moll in Germany. Either that or it is a close relative, because it is the only battery I've seen that has the same outer case shape. The MINI one is all white on top, and doesn't have the convenient fold-down handle like the Moll one does.

You can see the "lip" on the top of the battery that is present on the side with the terminals. There is another "lip" on the opposite side that you can't see. This is the lip that the battery bracket uses to hold the battery down.

Anyway, it appears Dixon Batteries will mail you one of these from Canada for about $108. Getting one locally would be ideal.

Attached Thumbnails MINI Battery Bracket issues-m47-62.jpg  
Old 05-24-2007 | 01:28 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
The battery I bought from Autozone (Duralast) fit perfectly and had an adapter to connect the vent tube.

I wouldn't consider installing a battery that was a poor fit for the bracket.

Old 05-24-2007 | 02:01 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
well the Sears Die Hard battery is actually made by a company called Die Hard, but thats all i can help you with, I actually havent ever seen my battery
Most automotive batteries brands are made by just three manufacturers.

Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models.

Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries.

Johnson Controls Industries makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

Optima is a small brand that makes sealed high performance batteries.
The 34R Optima Red top is said to be an exact replacement for the MINI by another post on this site.

Not quite sure which type 47's fit the MINI and which don't.

Last edited by cristo; 05-24-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:10 AM
plantain
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
The battery I bought from Autozone (Duralast) fit perfectly and had an adapter to connect the vent tube.

I wouldn't consider installing a battery that was a poor fit for the bracket.
Which battery did you get? They sell two - the "Gold" and the normal. The "Gold" one is the one with part number H5-DLG; sadly no picture. The normal one is 47-DL and it's exactly the same as the Everlast battery that Walmart sells, made by Johnson controls, and while it does have the adapter to connect the vent tube, the top is a little bit larger and doesn't fit.

Unfortunately, in Southern California NO Autozones sell the H5-DLG and they only stock the 47-DL. :(

Old 05-25-2007 | 10:56 AM
Frank Matyja
Blew By U
Interstate makes a compatable battery with the vent tube adaptor. I have had 2 Optima Red Tops. Red Top 34R is an exact fit for the MCS. No vent needed as its a sealed battery made for racing...a bit pricey at about $139.00 but worth it.

Old 05-25-2007 | 11:17 AM
plantain
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Frank Matyja
Interstate makes a compatable battery with the vent tube adaptor. I have had 2 Optima Red Tops. Red Top 34R is an exact fit for the MCS. No vent needed as its a sealed battery made for racing...a bit pricey at about $139.00 but worth it.
I checked out the 34R, and I can see how it will fit the MCS box, but I don't see how it will fit in the MC box which is under the hood. As far as I can see, the entire top of the 34R has no edge which can be grabbed onto using the existing bracket. :(

I also checked out the Interstate Megatron MT-47 - is *exactly* like the EverLast battery, which is made by Johnson Controls. Has the same vent tube, same top design, is 1/2" too short and has the larger top surface which does *not* fit in the existing MC battery bracket. :(

Sorry to be a pain, but it really does seem like I can only find two of the major memory makers re-selling the same battery all around this area, and they both don't quite fit. :(

I've attached a picture - you can see the back of this battery where it will not fit:

Last edited by plantain; 05-25-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2007 | 12:49 PM
plantain
|
2nd Gear
Going to have to rethink this...

I think it's likely that no domestic battery will fit exactly. I'm thinking it will probably be better in the long run if I am able to adapt the battery box and bracket to fit almost any group 47 battery that has the terminal posts in the correct locations - this will allow me more options, including getting that cool Optima!

So a better question to ask is - has anyone found a battery tie-down bracket that fits with the existing screw holes inside the battery box? I see there are many fancy ones out there for Honda Civics, but nobody seems to make battery tie-down brackets that fit the Cooper.

As far as the battery shortness - if I can get a sufficiently high bracket that will still fit inside the battery box cover, I should be able to insert a small 6.8" x 9" x 0.5" piece of plastic below the battery and prop it up safely.

Old 05-25-2007 | 01:14 PM
plantain
|
2nd Gear
Ack, this is it!

Ha! So all would be well if I only lived in Chicago!

Here is an online retailer that has the battery - it's covered with their own house brand sticker, but you can see the narrower lip on the backside of the battery. This *will* fit, but sadly, as they note on their web page, they will not ship this via UPS. You have to come by one of their stores to pick it up. :(

http://www.staabbattery.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=aut

Attached Thumbnails MINI Battery Bracket issues-mf47-60_3.jpg  
Old 05-25-2007 | 01:14 PM
lkbindustry
3rd Gear
glad to find out which optima battery fits my mcs!
thanks

Old 07-26-2007 | 03:05 PM
saturn5rocket
2nd Gear
I have an 02 MC and replaced the OEM battery with a Autozone Duralast Gold Battery (Part #H5-DLG). Fit exactly down to the vent tube. Same dimensions as the OEM battery $110. Factory bracket fit perfectly. The first time they sold me the base Duralast battery ($69) which is too short and too wide at the top.

Old 10-04-2007 | 06:37 PM
Chadwick
Neutral
My 03 MC battery mysteriously just failed on me this weekend at approx. 45k miles. I had started my car three times that day with no problems. Next time - just a bunch of solenoid clicking. New battery is installed and the car is running fine again.

In case you're stuck needing a battery for your MC (non-s) on a weekend as I was, you can find a battery manufactured by Exide with an 84 month warranty that fits at Checker Auto - Part #4784. Unfortunately, the top of the battery is a bit different in shape than the original, so the original battery hold-down bar will not work. I have yet to fabricate a new one, but I think I'll be able to use a piece of garage door opener mounting strap bent to match the top of the battery.

Here's a link: http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...artNumber=4784

Old 10-05-2007 | 07:09 AM
plantain
|
2nd Gear
Found the Duralast Gold battery.

I posted this update on another thread, so I should note here that I eventually did find the Duralast Gold battery at Autozone. It cost $109 and it is *exactly* the same physical dimensions as the MINI battery. Even the tiny plastic molding bits were identical, which makes me think that this battery is THE same one as the one that MINI puts in its own cars. It even says "Made in Germany" on top!

Autozone has a 3 month free replacement warranty, which is nice too. The trick is actually finding an Autozone with one in stock. It's not a common battery, so I noticed that in the Los Angeles area, the only ones that stocked it were the stores that were open 24 hours, or the ones with extended hours (open 7 AM closed at midnight). The normal Autozones, which open at 8 AM, all did not have this battery in stock.

Old 10-05-2007 | 05:42 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cristo

Optima is a small brand that makes sealed high performance batteries.
The 34R Optima Red top is said to be an exact replacement for the MINI by another post on this site.
The Optima Red Top 34R is an exact replacement. No vent necessary and installs with the OEM bracket. And it is 800 Amps compared to the 720 of the OEM battery. The list on this battery is a whopping $250 and prices are all over the map. I bought mine on eBay and it looks like they are still available for $139. A bargain IMHO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Optima-Top-Post-...QQcmdZViewItem

It came packed well and very quickly. My battery was still seemingly strong but since Artoo what build in September 2002 (He's an '03) I figured I need a battery before this winter and when I saw that price I snapped it up.

Rich

Old 10-06-2007 | 05:41 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
I think the Optima Red Top 34R fits the MCS, but won't fit the MC without
addressing some fit issues.

Here's a link to a thread on MC battery fit:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=105283

Old 10-07-2007 | 06:22 AM
contrail
1st Gear
Fitment

I just replaced my 2003 MC battery, after sitting 2 days it did not crank, and after charging for 2 hours, would only barely crank. I got the NAPA one, because the fitment thread seemed to indicate it would fit, but the tiedown clamp does not fit.
I do have a NAPA battery in my other car witch has started at -15 last three years, also $5 off list if you leave your old battery. It was $78

Old 10-08-2007 | 08:53 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Note that the MCS battery bracket does not hold the battery in place via the upper part of the bracket, instead it clamps the base flange of the battery down and forward. The forward side of the battery box has a fixed mating hold-down. The combination of the large lower clamp on the bracket and the one built into the box is what does the deed. The upper part of the bracket serves two purposes, one is to help align the lower clamp in place and help position it before tightening, and the raised part of the upper bracket section helps support the carpeted floor in the center. Even with a stock battery, the battery bracket has about an inch or so of space between it and the battery top.