R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 First time poster - need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Pav
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time poster - need advice please

Hi All,

First off, I apologize to the mods if this is being posted in the wrong place. I'm still getting a feeling for this site. First post ever!

I'm strongly considering buying a MCS ('07). The only thing stopping me is the Volvo C30 t5. Right now, its about 51/49 in favour of MCS.

Second, I'm concerned about the long term running costs of the MCS. Two questions come to mind:

1. How reliable have the 2002-2006 models been? Any major issues? Should I be concerned that it's the first year of production of a new model?

2. How expensive and available are replacement parts/service? Once my warranty is up, will I be stuck buying parts/service only from BMW, or would I be able to purchase aftermarket parts and take the car to a regular mechanic?

I understand this is a pro-mini forum, but all these questions apply equally to the C30 as well. I love the mini, but I just want to make sure it makes the most sense moving forward.

Thanks to everyone who is able to help out!

Old 05-28-2007, 03:11 PM
hegira
3rd Gear
If you're passonate about cars and driving, go for the Mini! It's hard to get more bang for the buck with these cars. Parts availability isn't a problem with the plethora (?) of suppliers on-line, and there's a lot to be said for the smile-quotient that goes with modding, should you go that route. I don't know what part of the world you're in, but there's a pretty good support network right here. Lottsa knowledge and experience.
I've worked with and on a lot of high-end cars, and have driven very few that gave me more pleasure than my S.
Rotsa ruck whatever you decide.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:31 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Out of curiousity, what are your decision criteria between the MINI and the Volvo? The concerns you listed (reliability, parts availability from the aftermarket, being tethered to the dealer for service, etc.) will generally apply equally for both the Volvo and the MINI. There seems to be a more robust performance aftermarket for the MINI. But, not knowing what factors about the cars are important to you, it is hard to suggest/recommend.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you post or direct me to a picture of the C30 you are considering?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 PM
littlecS
3rd Gear
First off...I don't like their website for the C30. It's too cluttered, and takes too long to load all the nonsense they have going on.
A friend of mine has the S60R, he loves it. I love it. It's really fast...especially after getting rid of everything that chokes it. It handles well too, all wheel drive on it is a beauty. The C30 looks promising though. The 230 hp model would be the only way to go, but at what price?
I absolutely adore my car, and all my friends know it. Everyone who hasn't ridden in a Mini before and gets in the car with me, they all want to go out and get one too! It's the most fun car to drive right from the factory. Can't say much about the '07 model, but my '03 MCS hasn't had any major problems. It really depends what you want from both cars. Drive them both, but either way they are both good choices!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by littlecS
...A friend of mine has the S60R, he loves it. I love it. It's really fast...especially after getting rid of everything that chokes it. It handles well too, all wheel drive on it is a beauty.
The only problem with the S60R is the 42 foot turning circle. Kind of hard to do any real turning kind of driving.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:05 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
The C30 is a gorgeous car! The MINI isn't a car. I'm not sure what it is, but it sure is a lot more fun to drive than a car! Sometimes I think of it as a very comfortable, 4 wheel motorcycle. If I were buying another car I think the C30 would be at the top of my list. However, if you can only have one, a MINI or a car, why not enjoy life!

Oh, when it comes time to replace my wife's Saab, I'd sure want her to look at the Volvo. First though, I'll insist she test drive the Clubman!

Oh, about your question, with my 05 Cabrio I've had no mechanical problems other than a broken piece of plastic on the top section of my armrest and complete replacement of my top and the frame for the top. All of it has been addressed for free and with a smile. The engine/drivetrain/suspension has all be perfect (except for the runflats, of course).

Old 05-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would narrow it down to a 2005-06 MCS. Best of the bunch so far in my opinion. All the kinks worked out.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
Both cars are essentially brand new, first model year rides. Our other car happens to be a '05 volvo v50 T5. For a first model year, it has been awesome. One minor issue with the radio and that was it.

MCS warranty is better (4/50 service versus 3/36). I think the new C30 is going to be very cool. It's just hard to see how well it looks in pics.

I am not really a fan of the 07 MCS. The dimensions dont look right to me, so my vote would probably be the C30. Volvo service has been great for us. Mini service has been OK. Just depends on your dealer though. In terms of cost of parts/service, I would expect them to be about the same. Probably more mods available for the MCS, but probably less C30's on the road.

People love both our cars. The V50 is black on black, tinted out and debadged. Very quick for a wagon. The mini just looks fun right from the get go and does not dissapoint.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:11 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Q1. How reliable have the 2002-2006 models been? Any major issues? Should I be concerned that it's the first year of production of a new model?
A1. Have a 2006 S. There have been no problems in 13 months of ownership. Some of the guys report little to no trouble with the new 2007. In contrast, I'm the kind of guy that would be bugged about that.

Q2. How expensive and available are replacement parts/service? Once my warranty is up, will I be stuck buying parts/service only from BMW, or would I be able to purchase aftermarket parts and take the car to a regular mechanic?

A2. Service can be relatively high at the dealer. In some parts of the country there are really good independant shops. So far when I've needed replacement parts due to driving damage, I've obtained parts from/through BMW. They are relatively expensive, but it seems like nearly all parts are today. Availability has proven to be pretty good. There is one dealer that ships parts out to NAM members at discount. Since discovering them, I've been buying pretty much only from them.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Pav
2nd Gear
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies. It partly reiterates how difficult this decision is, but I find your input and experience really helpful.

I'll just post replies in the order of all of your posts above.

Hegira: My question about parts availability was more in the sense of replacement/maintenence parts. Although I plan to eventually mod either car (!!), right now I'm just worried about astronomical maintenence and repair costs.

Caminifan: The decision criteria is a really fine line between both cars. Both have their strengths. Being that I'm a Male in my mid-twenties, and I plan on having this car for a long time, I want to make sure its a car that is fun to drive and also won't be a money pit after a couple of years. In that sense, the Mini wins in the "fun" factor. The C30 on the other hand, is slightly larger, more powerful, and slightly more comfortable (ride smoothness, etc). Since all those factors are important to me, in varying degrees, the questions I asked were esentially tie-breakers. But it seems from all the responses that I can't go wrong from a reliability standpoint from either vehicle.

LittlecS: I agree, the MCS really impressed me when I drove it. As for the C30, I'm definately looking at the T5. It has more straight-away power compared to the Mini, but the handling is no contest!

BlueBonnet: I agree! I've driven the MINI once and totally fallen in love. The C30, in contrast, has lots of power and a smoother ride, but tends to lean more in the corners. The C30 is trying to acheive more of a luxury feel. The only place I appreciate that is when I started hitting some rough pavement in the MINI. Thanks for the info on your roof.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 AM
MDK
6th Gear
I've owned 3 Volvos-and loved them all. I also really considered waiting for the C30 but after driving the MCS (I got a left over 06) I had to have it. I do miss the really good seats from Volvo's but the 07 seats are better in the MINI. On Paper the C30 looks likes a beast but I'll bet it's heavier than the MINI which equals things out-the MINI does handle amazingly well out of the box and makes the most mundane drives fun. As for ownership-neither of these are loved by consumer reports(I don't believe them anyway) and they are euro cars so parts, etc will be pricy. The MINI offers FREE maitanence for 3/36 and if you prefer you can probably find a good indy shop for after the warrenty is up.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pav
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies. It partly reiterates how difficult this decision is, but I find your input and experience really helpful.

I'll just post replies in the order of all of your posts above.

Hegira: My question about parts availability was more in the sense of replacement/maintenence parts. Although I plan to eventually mod either car (!!), right now I'm just worried about astronomical maintenence and repair costs.

Caminifan: The decision criteria is a really fine line between both cars. Both have their strengths. Being that I'm a Male in my mid-twenties, and I plan on having this car for a long time, I want to make sure its a car that is fun to drive and also won't be a money pit after a couple of years. In that sense, the Mini wins in the "fun" factor. The C30 on the other hand, is slightly larger, more powerful, and slightly more comfortable (ride smoothness, etc). Since all those factors are important to me, in varying degrees, the questions I asked were esentially tie-breakers. But it seems from all the responses that I can't go wrong from a reliability standpoint from either vehicle.

LittlecS: I agree, the MCS really impressed me when I drove it. As for the C30, I'm definately looking at the T5. It has more straight-away power compared to the Mini, but the handling is no contest!

BlueBonnet: I agree! I've driven the MINI once and totally fallen in love. The C30, in contrast, has lots of power and a smoother ride, but tends to lean more in the corners. The C30 is trying to acheive more of a luxury feel. The only place I appreciate that is when I started hitting some rough pavement in the MINI. Thanks for the info on your roof.
If mod-ability is a concern, I would go with the MINI over the Volvo. There are more options available for the MINI in every area (engine, suspension, brakes, etc.).

One other consideration is the In-Car Entertainment. Volvos are notoriously proprietary in their ICE architecture. You either like what you get from the factory (which is arguably 2 - 3 generations behind the current state of the art), or be prepared to shell out $ for a complete replacement. I am speaking from personal experience with a 2006 XC90 V8. If you want the gory details, PM me.

The rest of your assessment (comfort vs. fun) on the C30 vs. MINI is pretty much on point. Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited by caminifan; 05-29-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Spelling edits
Old 05-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Pav
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
Could you post or direct me to a picture of the C30 you are considering?
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/07c30.htm

This is a link to an article on the C30, complete with body kit and upgraded rims. Not certain I would shell out the extra $$ at this point for the kit, but the dealer does have a demo which is identical to the one shown in this article. In fact, it quite possibly might be the exact same car (the one being sold is the dealership's press car)

Click on the images to enlarge.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The last "cool" Volvos had "1" somewhere early in their nomenclature, and preferably 4 digits (1800). Arguments will be accepted for certain 3-digit "1"s and turbocharged "2"s. Newer Volvos have become Corporatized. What - you were expecting a non-biased response from a Mini website?

Amendment after checking webpage:

1. Glad Volvo hit the C30 with the hatch design from the old 1800es, and I have to admit it's a nice little hatchback. Looks-wise, though, it's a little busy and disconnected. Have to see it "in the metal".
2. Interior is wa-ay too conservative, even by Volvo standards. Not much of a departure from the 40-series (Ford Focus-based) cars and again, some inconsistency there with the somewhat-confused exterior design.
3. Front end far too Corporate Volvo for me.
4. I hope those are Canadian dollars! Even so, ouch.

Don't get me wrong - the Volvo is a nice car, far nicer than other similarly-sized cars and, whatever you do, make the decision for yourself!. Also, check what else your hard-earned dollars can purchase - do you really want a smaller car, how important is "image" and "style", as well as "performance" and "owner community"? Reliability-wise they'll be "close enough", but I think aftermarket and long-lasting support may weigh in the Mini's favor. Volvo may have more dealerships... some of that depends on where you live AND where you may live during the car's lifetime.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
findude
4th Gear
So far we've had one MINI and four Volvos ('85 240 Wagon, 91 740 Turbo Wagon, '96 850 Sedan, and a 2002 S60 AWD--we still have the 850. All of these have been good cars, but the 2002 was several quality notches below the others and generally inferior in design and ergonomics. To put it in perspective, we were going to replace the 850 with the S60 and ended up ditching the S60 and keeping the 850! Maybe this is a pre-Ford/post-Ford thing (though Jaguar owners seem to have had the opposite experience). Of course, now that it's rumored BMW is going to buy Volvo, who knows?

As far as I'm concerned, the only real downside of the MINI is the paucity of dealers. We've had good and bad luck with Volvo dealers, but there are enough of them around the DC metro area where we live that we can switch when things go poorly. This is much harder to do with MINI. Honestly, the only discouraging words I ever give anyone who asks about getting a MINI is the lack of dealers.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:45 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by findude
...As far as I'm concerned, the only real downside of the MINI is the paucity of dealers. We've had good and bad luck with Volvo dealers, but there are enough of them around the DC metro area where we live that we can switch when things go poorly. This is much harder to do with MINI. Honestly, the only discouraging words I ever give anyone who asks about getting a MINI is the lack of dealers.
I would echo this statement. The dealer is going to make or break the ownership experience. Get a bad dealer and your ownership experience will be the one from hell.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 AM
findude
4th Gear
I'm still waiting for a crop of independent mechanics who specialize in MINIs. You can find plenty of them for any other car, but I guess the saturation of MINIs is insufficient so far.