R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Rally Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 01:54 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had two questions about the rally lights for the MINI. Are you guys that have them satisfied with the amount of light they generate? Also, what are people using to protect the lights while in use from pebbles and road debris? Are there any aftermarket grilles you can buy to place over them?

Old 08-15-2002, 02:07 PM
leonkurzweil
Neutral
For the most part, I think they are illegal ikn several states...however they look teriffic...they come with plastic lid covers that just push on and pull off.

Old 08-15-2002, 02:14 PM
miniyoda
1st Gear
>>I had two questions about the rally lights for the MINI. Are you guys that have them satisfied with the amount of light they generate? Also, what are people using to protect the lights while in use from pebbles and road debris? Are there any aftermarket grilles you can buy to place over them?

very happy with the light it generates, but kinda irked by one thing. I'm okay that they work only with high beams (the dealer versions do this), but I'd rather have the switch remember if it was on or off every time I turn the car on/off. Between the high beams and the rallies, I get enough light to see well into the distance, and makes driving much safer (although the combo seems to attracts bugs from 3 states away, and gives them plenty of time to find my windshield).

Another benefit, they look great. An expensive option to be able to make that statement alone, but the combo of the lights and bonnet stripes is something that everyone notices and comments.

As for protection, haven't had a problem yet with pebbles, but the lights come with plastic covers for day time.

hope this helps

Yoda

Old 08-15-2002, 03:31 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
I have to agree with MINIYODA. I have them too and the only thing that bugs me is that they are not on automatically when you start the car. You can got to Member MINis to see them on some cars. Mine are on pages 31 & 32. I don't use the MINI plastic covers, they sit in the garage and I haven't had a problem with them. They are secured on the car very well.

Old 08-15-2002, 04:04 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
Cool. Glad to hear the lights work well. Not so glad to hear that they don't come on automatically and can only be turned on with the high beams. Oh well, they still look great. I saw that one company was offering a transparent film that you could apply to the rally lights to protect them from stones and such. I might opt for that. I'd kind of rather have an off road wire grille over the lights and just ditch the black plastic covers.

Old 08-15-2002, 05:11 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Rokk1 wrote:

>>Cool. Glad to hear the lights work well. Not so glad to hear that they don't come on automatically and can only be turned on with the high beams. Oh well, they still look great. I saw that one company was offering a transparent film that you could apply to the rally lights to protect them from stones and such. I might opt for that. I'd kind of rather have an off road wire grille over the lights and just ditch the black plastic covers.<<

Rokk1: PIAA makes a slightly larger set that comes with brush guards -- silver grids over the lights. They are very cool-looking, too! I believe they are $375 plus $25 shipping/handling, with full instructions on installation. And that price includes the guards, too.

Cheers!
Clover

Old 08-15-2002, 05:20 PM
vincent722
2nd Gear
When I had the driving lights installed on my truck they were wired directly to a dash switch this was a little problem whenever I came upon on coming traffic. First you need to turn the high beams off and then find the switch for the driving lights. Having them wired to the high beams makes it a little safer when driving those back roads. On my old MGB I wired them directly to two toggle switches on the dash, one spot and one flood. The high beams were on a foot switch.

Rewiring the lights is not a big job – when I get mine I’ll post a message on how to do it either way or so that they will work both ways if you like.

Old 08-15-2002, 06:07 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
I have the PIAA driving lights and they are great. You can see them in the gallery or in my link below.

Mine are wired independantly of all other lights but if they were wired to the high beams that would be OK. You shouldn't be driving around with them on unless you are somewhere without a lot of traffic. Never, ever have them on when there is oncoming traffic, it's rude and dangerous. Plus you never know when the oncoming car you are blinding is a cop.

Old 08-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Wouldn't a three positon toggle switch be best?

Bottom postion would be the master off for the rally lights. Mid position would set the lights to turn on when the highbeams were turned on and top position would turn the rally lights on no matter what.

Old 08-15-2002, 08:04 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
Clover, those lights sound much better than the factory lights. The brush guards are exactly what I'm looking for. Except, I don't trust myself with installing anything having to do with electricity!

Old 08-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
>>Rewiring the lights is not a big job – when I get mine I’ll post a message on how to do it either way or so that they will work both ways if you like.
>>

Thanks, Vincent. I'd love to read how to rewire the lights.

Old 08-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear

Mine are wired independantly of all other lights but if they were wired to the high beams that would be OK. You shouldn't be driving around with them on unless you are somewhere without a lot of traffic. Never, ever have them on when there is oncoming traffic, it's rude and dangerous. Plus you never know when the oncoming car you are blinding is a cop.