R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Rain sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 08:31 PM
noka
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanna know,

After I get the car ( this Friday 6/6...can't wait....) I want to add the rain sensor wiper later, is that easy?

I did not order to make like most of you. The dealer has the choices and I choose, luckily, it has what I prefer; chilli red/wh top, xenon light, leather seat, multifunction steering, sunroof...what else do I need...well..rain sensor!!

Any suggestion?

Old 06-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Ken&MINI.com
2nd Gear
Ah man .... I think its going to be complicate interms of installion and setup. Think of all the wiring, programing the ECU or computer, and the physical installion of the sensor... It might cause you big bucks ! :smile:

Old 06-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was lucky enough to be born with rain sensing eyes that are so sensitive, they pick up the very first raindrop to hit the windshield.

Sorry to be a punk, but aftermarket install of this is probably going to be a HUGE hassle involving excessive cost for minimal improvement, but nothing is impossible

Old 06-03-2003, 01:31 AM
noka
1st Gear
>>I was lucky enough to be born with rain sensing eyes that are so sensitive, they pick up the very first raindrop to hit the windshield.
>>
>>Sorry to be a punk, but aftermarket install of this is probably going to be a HUGE hassle involving excessive cost for minimal improvement, but nothing is impossible

Really? I have another car that have a rain sensor and I like it and felt it useful and practical.

Is anyone know how much it would cost roughly?

Old 06-03-2003, 06:31 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read that if you have to replace the windscreen on a rain sensor equipped car, you need a new screen with the sensor fitted - it is a factory installed part.

So I think you would need to budget for a new windscreen as well as the cost of the rain sensor itself, and ECU reprogramming.
Hopefully the wiring harness is in the car - if not that is more cost.

Old 06-03-2003, 06:47 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
This is probably a MAJOR change. New windshield, sensor, rear view mirror ('cause the one with the rain sensor is auto dimming), and new wiper control system. Cars with the rain sensing wipers don't have the speed sensing intermittant wipers (or any intermittant wiper setting for that matter) and that could complicate matters significantly. Then there's running the cables from the mirror/rain sensor which is mounted at the top of the windshield down and into the car's computer system.

It's going to be A LOT of work, and probably cost you quite a bit of money if it can even be done at all...

Old 06-03-2003, 09:37 AM
noka
1st Gear
>>This is probably a MAJOR change. New windshield, sensor, rear view mirror ('cause the one with the rain sensor is auto dimming), and new wiper control system. Cars with the rain sensing wipers don't have the speed sensing intermittant wipers (or any intermittant wiper setting for that matter) and that could complicate matters significantly. Then there's running the cables from the mirror/rain sensor which is mounted at the top of the windshield down and into the car's computer system.
>>
>>It's going to be A LOT of work, and probably cost you quite a bit of money if it can even be done at all...

Oh my god....that really really sound commmpliiicateeee....not just put the sensor and wiring.. Are you engineer or what?

Old 06-03-2003, 09:49 AM
jerrygee
4th Gear
Rest assured that you will end up spending substantially more than the $160 the rain sensing wipers and auto dim mirror cost when ordered as a factory installed option. I doubt if your dealer will even be willing to tackle the job as just ordering the necessary parts could be a nightmare not to mention the job of installing them. My advise, forget it and enjoy the car with the standard wipers and mirror.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:03 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is very likely that you would *not* need to change any electronics related to the wiper control - I think the body control module only needs to have the "rain sensor fitted" flag set.
But still the replacement windscreen will not be cheap. And the wiring will be horrendous if the harness is not already present.
I can't see any reason why you would have to replace the dimming mirror; they come as a package but there is no functional connection between them (probably just helps to reduce harness wiring variations).

Old 06-03-2003, 08:58 PM
noka
1st Gear
No, I do not care about the dim mirror, just the sensor.
But it's that kind of WIRE-LOT not wireless then I should enjoy the standard wiper as you mention.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:00 PM
red03miniS
Banned
if u really want it, order it

no reason retrofitting that.....not worth it IMO

Old 06-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Eyedoc
Neutral
I think you're out of luck on retrofitting rain sensors. That's what my dealer told me: they won't do it. :???: But I don't really miss it--never had that feature before.

Pam

Old 06-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Luthier
3rd Gear
>>No, I do not care about the dim mirror, just the sensor.
>>But it's that kind of WIRE-LOT not wireless then I should enjoy the standard wiper as you mention.
>>
>>