R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Regarding ECU reset:

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Roeri
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding ECU reset:

I read in another forum here on NAM about resetting ECU. NOT reflashing, just a simple reset. You know, where you press the odometer reset and turn the key to the 1st position...

Anyway, I noticed that the car runs smoother after a quick trip up to the store. Also that ignition is quicker.

Is this just me imagining something or is this supposed to happen? Don't get me wrong, I like it- but I'm just wondering exactly what happens in the process. I'd like to understand it a bit better that's all.

Anyone out there in the know on this one?

Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
simple reset...

The best way to reset the ECU is to disconnect the battery for about 5 min. This will restore the car to it's default settings; Time, Radio Presets and all.
I was having an issue a while back where I was advised to do this since it will reset any adjustments your car may make as a result of bad fuel, driving stlye. This is also a good idea if you have made any mods to your car since it will cause the computer to make adjustments due to more airflow, pressure, power.

Hope this helps you out.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure, but for every person that says this is an "ECU" reset there is another that says it isn't.

Just from a computer perspective I think the reset does drop the user portion of the ECU as well as resetting the rest of the systems like the BC1. A battery disconnect would probably do the same as you are killing power to the units.

I think the only one that really knows is MINI.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:31 AM
minipooper02
3rd Gear
I have a alta intake and a borla exhaust on my car.(MCS 02) Should I disconnect my battery for 5 min and do this whole computer set thing?
IM confused.........

Old 07-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Roeri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop
The best way to reset the ECU is to disconnect the battery for about 5 min. This will restore the car to it's default settings; Time, Radio Presets and all.
I was having an issue a while back where I was advised to do this since it will reset any adjustments your car may make as a result of bad fuel, driving stlye. This is also a good idea if you have made any mods to your car since it will cause the computer to make adjustments due to more airflow, pressure, power.

Hope this helps you out.

There is another thread that states that disconnecting the battery has no effect on ECU. But as you say, I would think that this would be untrue. I'll try that as well.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
ignote
5th Gear
In order to reset the ecu follow the procedure below

1) With the key in the off position press and hold the speedo reset button, turn the key to position one and the screen will say test and a number.

2) Go through the list by pressing the reset button upto test 19 and then wait.

3) The display should then say"log i-off" then "log i-on" over and over again....when "log i- off" appears again press the reset button ....and now you are in the system software.

4) Scroll upto 21.0 Software reset. When reset appears press the button again and you will get a beep and you're speedo needle may vibrate a little (this is normal).

5) Turn ignition off then back on to position 2 for 10 secs then start your car and hey presto its done.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Thanks for the accurate Reset

Originally Posted by ignote

1) With the key in the off position press and hold the speedo reset button, turn the key to position one and the screen will say test and a number.

3) The display should then say"log i-off" then "log i-on" over and over again....when "log i- off" appears again press the reset button ....and now you are in the system software.

4) Scroll upto 21.0 Software reset. When reset appears press the button again and you will get a beep and you're speedo needle may vibrate a little (this is normal).

5) Turn ignition off then back on to position 2 for 10 secs then start your car and hey presto its done.
This is a good bit of info, I was having an issue where my mini was feeling a bit sluggish, I'm not sure why.
I was talking to a friend who rally races and they said that disconnecting the battery is a simple way to reset it to the factory.

Since the car computer has the ability to compansate for issues that might harm the mechanics.

It seemed to clear the Slugishness.

So thank you ignote!
Under what conditions would you say it would be beneficial to do this?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 AM
mozzarella
Banned
Originally Posted by ignote

That sounds easy ... lol if you mess it up you get the blue screen of death?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop
This is a good bit of info, I was having an issue where my mini was feeling a bit sluggish, I'm not sure why.
I was talking to a friend who rally races and they said that disconnecting the battery is a simple way to reset it to the factory.

Since the car computer has the ability to compansate for issues that might harm the mechanics.

It seemed to clear the Slugishness.

So thank you ignote!
Under what conditions would you say it would be beneficial to do this?
What conditions would it be beneficial? Maybe when you make a change like a CAI or if the car is running "funny".
I think I did it once when the car would try to stumble when starting out and it helped.
Supposedly it clears out the learning curve of the ECU. There is much debate over that though.

I've done it and I think it does work. But you be the judge, and let us know what you think. It's been a while since I've done this.

As far as BSOD, I was always very careful doing it so I never made a mistake.

Last edited by ignote; 07-17-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
"As far as BSOD, I was always very careful doing it so I never made a mistake."

Nice!
I'm not noticing any need to do this as of now, definetly a good tip to know though.