R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help! Hit and run.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Help! Hit and run.

Hi every one! This past weekend I was at Universal Studio's Florida and Some one back into my Mini and made a wicked dent and then drove away. Long story short, I think I might need a new rear bumper.
I'm new to the whole Mini car thing and I hate to see the Mini this way.

I'm soon going to bring it to the auto body shop to get an estimate but was wondering if anyone can suggest some web sites were I might be able to get a replacement bumper or a different style rear bumper for a lower price then what my Mini dealership might charge me.
I have an S 2004 in Electric blue.
Any suggestions .

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:16 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about the hit and run.

@ the driver who left the scene.

Did you file a report; either with the theme park's parking/security, or with the local police? Have you called your insurance company? Did you take pictures?

In your situation I would want the "fix it" estimates to come from a MINI dealer/body shop. In my family, we've learned first hand that while initial damage might not look too bad on the surface, once the bumper comes off, who knows what is under there and might up the repair bill.

We've had 2 incidents on my husband's MINI. One was a road gator - $3200 repair bill. It wasn't just the front bumper...it was the fog light, radiator, bumper, and other expensive things...plus labor, paint, etc.

The second time - he was rear-ended at a stop light. The guy supposedly had insurance. But when we called his insurance, he hadn't been paying his premiums and was therefore listed as "uninsured". The damange was a little crease, barely visible...but it required a new bumper, labor, and paint. Just over $1000.

Our insurance carrier covered both situations - but it wasn't cheap.

Good luck to you in getting your MINI back to new. I hope the recovery is speedy.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:50 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Look at/post on the parts for sale forum here on NAM. Someone may have a stock EB bumper they don't want anymore.

That is a real bummer. :impatient I hope you get your MINI fixed up soon.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as finding the culprit and holding them responsible, about the only chance of that is through the park's security office. Maybe... just maybe... they have camera's installed in the parking areas and can get a tag number of the vehicle that hit you. Give that to your insurance company and they can run a tag check.

If you haven't turned a claim in through your insurance company, do so. An Uninsured Motorist (UM) claim won't raise your premiums so you don't have to worry about that. And whatever the cost of repair, you would only have to pay your state's mandated UM deductible. It varies by state but is generally around $250. I know... your damage may not even be that much. But it could end up much higher, depending on how hard the hit was. Besides UM coverage also will put you in a rental car and pay everything once you meet your UM deductible.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
elfuego
Neutral
Im sure you know this but I figure I would try to help anyway. Don't try looking for yoru specific color. Bumpers need to be painted when replaced. Sorry you had such a cruddy thing happen to your car.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by elfuego
Don't try looking for your specific color. Bumpers need to be painted when replaced.
Not necessarily. If a good used bumper cover can be found, it may save the trouble and expense of painting, and if it's about as old as the car it's going on, the color could match up pretty well.

Considering all of the folks who have had aero kits put on after purchase, it's worth a shot looking for a used one.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:17 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-23-2007, 06:00 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
I've had my back bumper fixed a number of times (san francisco hills and front license plates = lots of holes in the bumper. Not one of the people left a note). My insurance covered it with a $250 deductible, but the work to fix the bumper was usually around $500 total, so you might do better paying it yourself and avoiding an increase to your insurance. I have also seen fully painted OEM bumpers on Ebay for as low as 250 "buy it now" plus shipping. My bumper got smashed again a week after the last time I got it fixed. I'm kind of over it at this point, i just put stickers over the damage (my bumper is jinxed....if i get it fixed its just going to happen again).

Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 70spop
Not necessarily. If a good used bumper cover can be found, it may save the trouble and expense of painting, and if it's about as old as the car it's going on, the color could match up pretty well.
Years ago, back before computerized colour-matching was available, I asked a paint shop about painting a replacement panel for my (old and faded) car.

The painter looked at my car, shook his head, and said "Son, I can't put 'old' in a spray gun...."

Old 07-23-2007, 06:15 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Years ago, back before computerized colour-matching was available, I asked a paint shop about painting a replacement panel for my (old and faded) car.

The painter looked at my car, shook his head, and said "Son, I can't put 'old' in a spray gun...."

My point exactly.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui

Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Oyyyyy these hit and run stories lately are making me so mad! The part that hacks me off about this one is it was at a theme park...which means odds are, it was parents with kids in the car and what did they just teach their kids: "Ahh, don't worry about it, if you screw up and no one sees it, it doesn't count." ARGH no wonder society is so screwed up! It makes me want to put a sign in my rear window: "If you hit my car and run, I will find you, and I own a Louisville Slugger." Grrrr!

KARMAAAAAAA! I hope all these hit-and-runners get what's coming to them in the end.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Hyper Blue front and rear bumper for sale for $60 EACH. Have it painted to match, and you're set. Get the estimate for new parts from Mini, and pocket the difference that the insurance company gives you. Send my $50 consultation and finders fee.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=108288

Old 07-24-2007, 07:50 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
...odds are, it was parents with kids in the car and what did they just teach their kids: "Ahh, don't worry about it, if you screw up and no one sees it, it doesn't count." ARGH no wonder society is so screwed up!
+1 Society seems to have generally gone to the "if nobody sees me then it's ok" way of thinking.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Why in the world would you pay for something like that out of pocket? That's what insurance is for. As was stated above, an unisured motorist claim won't raise your rates. I've made two of those claims because of mean people that hit and leave.

I can't believe how awful some people can be. It would be great if they caught it on a security camera.