R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Four days of CVT ownership - reporting in . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Peterun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read this board daily . . . read so many horror stories re: stalling, hesitations, repeat windshield replacement . . . I was very sceptical of picking up the CVT I had ordered quite a while ago. While I can't predict the future . . .the fear level for me seems to be diminishing daily. My MC is perfect. I have not a single complaint. A/C is on most times here in So. CA. . . H-K sound system is fantastic; CVT power is linear, definately strong, especially when gear shift is placed to the right - sport mode. There is not the slightest hint of a stall or hesitation. Nope, I'm not in never-never land . .the land of magical thinking. I know good German cars . . . This car, not German made . . . is quirky, soulful . . . .spirited . . . and a total blast to drive. So far . . . not a rattle, not a squeak . . . .truly perfect. Hope this sticks! My MC was produced about a month ago, in May. Options: CVT; sport seats; auto climate control; computer; sport leather wheelwheel; black bumper inserts; H-K sound; dimming mirror; heated seats. No roof; no run-flats; cloth sport seats. Amazingly comfortable . .and good looking. Pepper/black . . .wouldn't change a thing. Peter

Old 06-12-2003, 10:19 PM
nfo
6th Gear
congrats man!
enjoy your car, i know you will!

Old 06-13-2003, 06:46 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
I went through the same process nfo. When I first got the car I was kind of fearful hearing the "horror" stories and was treating the car like a princess. I recommend you to just go and enjoy it, and forget about those stories. My car is 5 months now (wow, time goes by so fast). Completely trouble free.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:48 AM
C4
Banned
Hey Peter:

Welcome to the CVT Pepper White/Black top club! (Great minds think alike!)

I am sure you are going to have a blast in your new Cooper CVT. We have had fun with ours for the past 10 months.

I was wondering since yours is a May 2003 build, how do you feel the ride quality? Did you get the Sport Plus suspension, or you just have the standard suspension?

How are you liking the HK stereo? The autodimming mirror? the rain sensing windshield wipers?

I currently have on order a new '04 MCS and my spec includes HK, auto mirror and wipers, fog lights, trip computer, etc. We are adding it to our '02 Cooper CVT.

Again welcome!

Old 06-13-2003, 06:56 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Glad to hear that everything is great with your new MINI! I have a Pure silver/black with a CVT and I absolutely love it, 14,500 miles later.

Old 06-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Peterun
2nd Gear
To answer your questions . . . Nope, no sport suspension. The voice of experience. Having owned a MCS prior, I specifically did NOT want sport. I specifically did not want leather or leatherette . . . and I definately did not want sun roof. I knew what I wanted, and that's precisely what I ordered. Suspension is great. . . .super tight, without being punishing. Solid roof . . . renders the A/C efficient . . and not begging for cold. The HK sound is laden with strong bass and crisp highs. It's a very full sound and it "over delivers" in relationship to what I expected. So . . that's my take. Do I miss the S? I had a hard time with the distinct lack of power at low RPM's. Hope that answers your questions. Peter