R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help-Manual Boot Release Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I bought the parts for my MC, but before I start...need some assistance:

1) S-owners who have the release cable. How is the cable routed? Starting from where the pull end rests, under the rear seat in the middle; the manual shows it heading towards the passenger side rear. Where does it go from here?

2) How do I remove the plastic L-trim piece that covers the latching/locking mechanism? All I see are 3 small circular things fixed on the vertical surface of the L-cover. I'm assuming they are plastic rivets; and 2 nickel size covers, each immediately to the left and right of the latch. I haven't popped them off yet, but I'm guessing/hoping there are screws underneath.

Why am I retrofitting my MC w/ the cable when my battery is under the bonnet? Because how am I to get inside the boot if my battery dies and I need to get jumper cables stored in the boot; OR if there are simultaneous problems (knock on wood that it never happens) like the battery dies AND I have flat. How am I to get the jumper cables, spare tire & tools?
:evil:

Old 06-13-2003, 10:30 AM
FraserBonnett
3rd Gear
Good idea, something I need to do to my MCS that lacks the cable. I'm just waiting for someone to do it first, so I can see how it was done.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:49 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
I agree, this is something I need to do to my MCS. Has anyone done this yet???

Old 06-13-2003, 01:10 PM
vespa
4th Gear
Remove the rear panel by first pulling the center pins from the rivets, yank on the panel to pop the rivets out, then pull the panel up to pop the four snaps along the top.

I think you'll need to remove the right side panel to route the cable. From there it goes diagonally under the right seat cushion.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
>>Remove the rear panel by first pulling the center pins from the rivets, yank on the panel to pop the rivets out, then pull the panel up to pop the four snaps along the top.
>>

Do you use a pair of pliers? I'm afraid I might crack/crush those plastic nibs.

>>I think you'll need to remove the right side panel to route the cable. From there it goes diagonally under the right seat cushion.

Wow! The right side panel is a big piece (from the passenger door to the tail light. There must be someone who removed this piece to upgrade their speakers. Any suggestions?

Also, that means I would have to remove the backrest portion of the rear seat too.

(I knew I should have paid more attention to Jesse James on Monster Garage when he gutted that Mini)

Old 06-13-2003, 10:52 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Why should we have to do this? Doesnt it come with the car? The manual says theres one there but my MINI doesnt have the cable! This is a seriuos safety hazzard that the dealer should take care of!

Old 06-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
>>Why should we have to do this? Doesnt it come with the car? The manual says theres one there but my MINI doesnt have the cable! This is a seriuos safety hazzard that the dealer should take care of!

There's been other threads of MOs asking the same thing. I believe it bacame standard after early '03 builds.

But I'm just going to do it....but would like anyone's help on any of the panels they have removed.

Old 06-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
I think I remember in the AUDIO section, where someone mentioned to remove the rear side panels, you have to remove the whole seat. Good luck to ya...

Rocketboy_X

Old 06-13-2003, 11:12 PM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Thanks R...X,
I'll read up on that section.

Old 06-13-2003, 11:43 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
>>Why should we have to do this? Doesnt it come with the car? The manual says theres one there but my MINI doesnt have the cable! This is a seriuos safety hazzard that the dealer should take care of!

There's been a couple threads on this topic. I asked my dealer after discovering that my cable was missing. Service manager stated that the earlier production MINIs did not come equipped with the cable even though it states it in the manual. And being that it was introduced at a later date, it is not a warranty issue. I agree about the safety aspect of it all. Looks as though the idea to have the cable in there was on paper prior to the MINIs production, if it's in the manual but not in the car. Why it didn't work out, not sure. Think MINI should be taking care of the parts/labour on this one. It's more than just an option, it could end up saving lives. On a side note, my dealer quoted me an est. of $50 (CDN) for the parts and labour for the job, if I can remember correctly.
Cheers,

Old 06-14-2003, 02:26 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
>>Thanks R...X,
>>I'll read up on that section.

I read the posts in the Audio section about removing the side panel and rear seat. WOW, a 2-hr job!
I don't think I'll be tackling this job this short weekend. And I might as well upgrade the rear speakers if I'm going to go through all the trouble of removing the seat and panel. Geeez, just for a stinking simple pull cable!
I'll try fishing the cable through the panel and maybe I can grab it from the right side access panel in the boot.

Old 06-14-2003, 07:00 AM
satchmo
2nd Gear
Last time I talked to my dealer's service manager, he told me these parts weren't offered yet..... Can you post part numbers/prices?

Thanks!

Satchmo

Old 06-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
>>Last time I talked to my dealer's service manager, he told me these parts weren't offered yet..... Can you post part numbers/prices?
>>
I found the following from doing a user search:

Posted: May 08, 2003 - 04:57 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JSUN wrote-
In case anyone's interested, here are the part numbers for the emergency boot release cable assembly for my 2002 MCS:

51-24-0-144-423 ("towbar lug&quot
34-52-0-141-429 ("cable clip&quot
61-13-0-141-700 ("cable clamp&quot
51-24-7-119-986 ("bowden cable&quot

Altogether, the total at my dealer's parts dept (MINI of Peabody) is $32.78 (plus tax).
.................................................. ...........................
However, I got these part numbers from the Parts Dept (MINI of Hawaii) for my 2003 MC:

51-24-0-144-423 ("towbar lug&quot aka "pull ring". [65 cents]
It's a black plastic ring w/ a notched rectangular groove where the cable locks onto.

07-13-1-503-417 ("clip&quot. [75 cents]
It's a small yellow piece, about 1" tall x 1/2" wide, looks like a spinning top. I'll have to double check w/ them. Don't know if this is correct.

51-24-7-069-310 ("bowden cable&quot [$30.80]
It looks like a stainless steel cable encased in a black spiral casing. The pull-end has a white fastener-type piece and a 6-sided metal end cap that fits in the notch of the ring. The latch-end has a black matchbox-size piece w/ a cream colored toothpick-sized, mallet-shaped thing that moves. Lot of intricate parts on that make up the cable. Looks like quality stuff.

subtotal cost = $32.20 (well whatdya know, some thing are cheaper in Hawaii :smile: :smile: :smile:

The only reasons I could think of on why I didn't get the cable clamp; and my bowden cable and clip part numbers were different than JSUNs are different years and different MINI types (MC/MCS)

Lastly, whenever I just want minor parts, I go directly to the Parts Dept (not the Service Dept), so double check w/ them. Don't know if all dealers have the same computer system but at (MOH) Parts Dept, they can graphically zero in on where a part number is located on the car (pretty cool)

Old 06-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Hank
4th Gear
Geez, if the dealer quoted $50 for parts and labor, it would seem to me to be a no brainer, let the dealer do it!
But based on all the other posts, it sounds like at least a minimum of an hour even for a dealer. What's the standard hourly rate for a dealer these days, $75 to $90 an hour?

Old 06-14-2003, 08:18 PM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
If parts is around $32, that means $18 in labor. Something doesn't seem right. I need to ask my dealer on an install cost. If it IS only around $20 for labor, I agree, I'll let them do it. There's a lot better things I can doing on my free time.

Old 06-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Just re-read MINIMadman's post, he said 50 Canadian dollars.

Old 06-14-2003, 10:27 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My service manager also said that he's done a couple already, and should only take roughly a half hour. He says $47.96 (CDN) for parts, and about $47.25 (CDN) for the labour. Total: $95.21 for the complete job, or $71.41(est.)-American, for the whole thing.
Cheers,

Old 06-15-2003, 04:06 AM
jsun
6th Gear
FYI, even though I've had my parts dept order the parts (back when I posed the numbers), they haven't come in yet. I've been meaning to check on this, as I have had several other parts -- including a seat airbag and an entire sunroof slider mechanism! -- come in since. I don't think that MINI is supplying these cables very quickly. Oh, and yes, supposedly the part numbers are different for an S vs. a Cooper.

Old 06-15-2003, 08:23 AM
vespa
4th Gear
Why aren't you guys just ordering these from Classic MINI? The whole setup is only $20 there.

Old 06-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
>>Why aren't you guys just ordering these from Classic MINI? The whole setup is only $20 there.

It's a little different when you're in Hawaii. Mini of Hawii does not tack on shipping because when they ordered my parts they piggyback it with other parts they already are ordering. It took 3 or 4 weeks for me to get mine. Classic will only UPS to HI, which is extremely expensive. If they (along with others) gave the option of sending parts by USPS, then they would be competitive.