R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Wind noise from the sun roof

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 07:38 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my first long drive today-- it was wonderful. The performance and handling, as well as the aesthetics are about perfect. I have never seen a car make more friends. Every time I went in a store, I returned to a group of people around the car. It's amazing, and alot of fun. This car already more of a social life than I do. It was invited to two parties, and was asked out twice..... well at least it is still letting me hang out with it.... :smile:

Well I was listening to the stereo as I was driving with the sunroof open. When I stopped to rest, I happened to read over the stereo instructions. The stereo has a feature that you can turn on that increases the volume to compensate for increasing levels of noise!! I turned on the feature and yessss!!! I was doing 80 with music and the wind!! Maybe others have already figured this out, but if not, I suggest you try it. It really was an improvement over adjusting the volume constantly.

The one thing I havent figured out yet, is for the stereo controls on the steering wheel, what the heck does the middle button on the left hand side do? It does not appear to have any effect on the stereo. I have started to be creative and have pressed it to hold a yellow light when going through an intersection, used it to zap people who cut me off, and pressed it several times to try to get a date with twins riding in a Porsche at a stop light (they smiled, and I pressed the button at least 50 times rapidly in the next three second, but unfortunately it did not seem to have the desired effect on the twins-- maybe the dealer will get software to program this)

Anyway, check out this volume compensator if you haven't already.

Steve

Old 08-24-2002, 10:20 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like your back is feeling better...hope so!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 08-25-2002, 05:49 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
Clover,
I have a 6 CD changer in mine and that button doesn't change the CD's. Even in the owners manual, there doesn't seem to be a function assigned to it. Maybe it's a just a button that's there in the middle, with no particular function. Maybe it's kinda like a mini-navel. If it is, I guess I have an outie (and not an Audi!)-- I am waiting to test it on triplets.....

Also, did you already know about that feature on the stereo, where it can be programmed to increase volume to compensate for wind noise? I have never seen that on another car. It really is impressive! I drove again today with some Mangione, and as I got on the xpessway with the sunroof and the windows open, I could still listen to music along with the wind. Have you seen this feature on other cars? I think it is a great idea!

Yes, my back is a little better with that cushion I bought. It's not what I would call comfortable, but it is improved. When are you getting your mini? Wasn't it coming in the end of August?

Steve

Old 08-25-2002, 06:01 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear

>>Also, did you already know about that feature on the stereo, where it can be programmed to increase volume to compensate for wind noise? I have never seen that on another car.
>>Steve

Steve-
The only other instance I know of is the Blaupunkt "Berlin" model radio, of the mid '80's. I bought one & installed it in my 911. It was really convenient to have the volume raise & lower automatically (although, in a 911 half of the aural fun is listening to the engine/tranny!).
I wonder if this feature is carried over into the (mythical?) HK radio? When my number comes up, the HK's may actually be available.

It would be nice if we could get someone from BMW (or MINI NA) on this forum. Then we would have more of a "direct pipeline" on news & rumors.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:35 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
:smile: + :evil: bad drivers =

Old 08-25-2002, 11:49 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
>>Clover,
>>I have a 6 CD changer in mine and that button doesn't change the CD's. Even in the owners manual, there doesn't seem to be a function assigned to it. Maybe it's a just a button that's there in the middle, with no particular function. Maybe it's kinda like a mini-navel. If it is, I guess I have an outie (and not an Audi!)-- I am waiting to test it on triplets.....
>>
>>Also, did you already know about that feature on the stereo, where it can be programmed to increase volume to compensate for wind noise? I have never seen that on another car. It really is impressive! I drove again today with some Mangione, and as I got on the xpessway with the sunroof and the windows open, I could still listen to music along with the wind. Have you seen this feature on other cars? I think it is a great idea!
>>
>>Yes, my back is a little better with that cushion I bought. It's not what I would call comfortable, but it is improved. When are you getting your mini? Wasn't it coming in the end of August?
>>
>>Steve<<

Steve, Sorry about the misinformation on your "outie" button! Very funny guy, you are! My little MINIclo arrives at Long Beach MINI tomorrow & I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE, to take delivery of her on TUESDAY, 8/27!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 08-25-2002, 11:51 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
>> :smile: + :evil: bad drivers =

Old 08-26-2002, 06:02 AM
zwilnik
1st Gear

>>I noticed the left-side belly button also. Sometimes I get confused and press that one by accident thinking it changes between the modes (but that's the right side outie). Good idea though- I'll use it as my super-duper annihilator beam to shot cars that don't drive friendly. It'll relieve the stress- here's the equation to prove it:

I take it you didn't get the optional rocket launchers then

Old 08-26-2002, 07:26 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>> :smile: + :evil: bad drivers =

CMINIGO,

Great graphics! I think we have the makings of a mini urban legend with this button. It has great possibilities. For now, I think when I go to the dealer to get my oil changed next week, I'm going to ask if he has already received the software to program that left button to operated the CD changer, and that I don't like the default option that it operates the windshield washers at speeds over 30 MPH, and if he can't reprogram it, to please just shut it off. Then I'll half smile and leave the car for the afternoon. Maybe others could try something else creative at their first oil change. We will create a group of service managers who all develop a slight tic whenever the word button is said by a customer.
Oh well it may end up like my other cars, the dealer will give me half price on service, with the condition that I take my car to another dealer, any other dealer....

Well I will, ahem, press on, now....

Old 08-28-2002, 01:19 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Good idea. We'll create havoc! Bwaahahahahahah! Knowing my sucky service department at Universal/Century West they'll just type on the service sheet "Could not duplicate complaint". That's their answer to everything.

I've also noticed the left-side belly-button serves as a red-light changer (changes red traffic lights to green), but you have to be in the lane under the signal and shoot at it from 150-200 feet away for best results. Try it. If it doesn't work it means you've still got it in Super-Duper Annihilator Beam mode.

Old 08-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Here is my big thing... It really irks me when people complain about wind noise with the sunroof open.... WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU PUT A BIG HOLE IN THE ROOF!?! That is all

Old 08-29-2002, 04:34 PM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The top button on the left side is the "Continue Cruise control" button and the bottom one is the start/stop cruise control button. The + button starts cruise control once it is active (by pressing the bottom button). Look at pages 53 and 54 of the owners manual. :smile:

Old 08-29-2002, 06:25 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>> The top button on the left side is the "Continue Cruise control" button and the bottom one is the start/stop cruise control button. The + button starts cruise control once it is active (by pressing the bottom button). Look at pages 53 and 54 of the owners manual. :smile:

We were talking about the buttons on the back of the steering wheel, that control the stereo. In particular, the middle one on the left.

Old 08-29-2002, 06:37 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>>Here is my big thing... It really irks me when people complain about wind noise with the sunroof open.... WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU PUT A BIG HOLE IN THE ROOF!?! That is all

I think there should be a wind adjustments for the wind noise-- from like soft wind- maybe called 'wind-am hill' or background wind called 'wind-zak' to heavy wind, and maybe a balance **** for left wind and right wind, and definately a fader for front-wind, and passed wind (which, by the way would define most of the content of my email... if you get my drift... so to speak... sorry).

I wasn't complaining at all about the wind noise. I really like it. I also love that you can both enjoy the wind noise and the stereo at the same time-- the two make a great combination-- the stereo and the front wind, that is.... oops, just ran out of gas...