R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Anyone call it a "BMW MINI"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:59 AM
jstines
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not a BMW. It's a BMW MINI. :smile:

You only looked on the outside. Look on the inside.
I'm only joking around. I don't care what people call it or think it is.

I just hope whoever is working on the stumble problem gets that fixed and that the car lasts for 150,000 miles, and I'll be all smiles.

See ya,
JS

Old 07-08-2003, 10:59 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
>>>>i looked and nowhere on my car does it say BMW
>>>>
>>
>>
>>Plenty of BMW references around the car. Check back on your factory stickers.

ahhhhh, yes
but no external badges

Old 07-08-2003, 11:01 AM
bagpiper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was at the Glen last September for the vintage race.. the mini was the mark for the weekend. There seemed to be a little line drawn in the sand between the "New MINI" owners and the "old" mini owners.. Having been on both sides of the fence (had and old one-- have a new one)..there were bumper stickers about this is the "REAL Mini" (on the old mini's) or "NO BMW PARTS in this Mini...".. so this whole BMW thing in (my opinion) has an under current that may be generated by the old mini people... I know the old minis get together, but the new mini's weren't invited.... oh well, their loss....

Old 07-08-2003, 11:04 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
>>When I was at the Glen last September for the vintage race.. the mini was the mark for the weekend. There seemed to be a little line drawn in the sand between the "New MINI" owners and the "old" mini owners.. Having been on both sides of the fence (had and old one-- have a new one)..there were bumper stickers about this is the "REAL Mini" (on the old mini's) or "NO BMW PARTS in this Mini...".. so this whole BMW thing in (my opinion) has an under current that may be generated by the old mini people... I know the old minis get together, but the new mini's weren't invited.... oh well, their loss....

Wow thats crazy....purists. More power to them though, technically they do have the "real deal".

Old 07-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear

>>ahhhhh, yes
>>but no external badges
>>

"badges, we don need no stinkin' badges"

(sorry couldn't resist) have Blazing Saddles on right now...

Old 07-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
I've owned both, and both generations of Mini/MINIs have their own charms. By choice, I'd have one of each right now. With that not being a realistic option, I have to take the one that I can get parts for in the US and that has AC to use as my daily driver.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Minzila
3rd Gear
I can't believe all of this. I for one am proud of the fact that BMW produces this car. BMW holds many speed and altitude records from the teens when they produced aero- engines. They hold countless speed and endurance records with their motorcycles. In the 30's you weren't even competitive if you weren't driving a BMW 328. Does anybody remember the 507 from the 50's or the M1 from the 70's. There are more BMW records than I can even begin to mention. They are known world wide for reliability and agressive products. The guy that said he didn't have any problems with Lucas electrics has got to be joking. You don't get the nickname "Prince of darkness" from making great electrical systems. It was BMW's involvement with MINI that sparked my interest in the first place. As a matter of fact, I saw my first MINI in Feb. 2002 when I drove my 28 year old BMW to Spartanburg SC to go to a BMW car event. That's when I decided that I wanted one. We could do a lot worse than BMW as the manufacturer of our new little cars. The blue and white roundels represent what a pilot sees when he looks through the propeller. That became their trademark in 1917(I think). If you really don't like your BMW MINI then trade it in for a 1999 mini and pocket the difference, you'll be trading back within a week. My 30 years of using BMW products will be followed by 30 more. There, now I feel better.
Motor on, MB

Old 07-08-2003, 02:28 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Ok... so, kids, I think I've gleaned the take-home message:

Some of us like our MINIs BECAUSE of their affiliation to BMW and some of us just don't give a rats patooty WHO made our MINIs cause we love the car on it's own merits. I choose not to play up the linkage, others choose to shout it from the rooftops. Regardless of inference, the BMW/MINI relationship is what it is, and I think that delving for subtleties is a bit... weird.

Henceforth both the Beatles and Fantastischen Vier will get equal airplay on my H/K.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:39 PM
C4
Banned
>>I can't believe all of this. I for one am proud of the fact that BMW produces this car. BMW holds many speed and altitude records from the teens when they produced aero- engines. They hold countless speed and endurance records with their motorcycles. In the 30's you weren't even competitive if you weren't driving a BMW 328. Does anybody remember the 507 from the 50's or the M1 from the 70's. There are more BMW records than I can even begin to mention. They are known world wide for reliability and agressive products. The guy that said he didn't have any problems with Lucas electrics has got to be joking. You don't get the nickname "Prince of darkness" from making great electrical systems. It was BMW's involvement with MINI that sparked my interest in the first place. As a matter of fact, I saw my first MINI in Feb. 2002 when I drove my 28 year old BMW to Spartanburg SC to go to a BMW car event. That's when I decided that I wanted one. We could do a lot worse than BMW as the manufacturer of our new little cars. The blue and white roundels represent what a pilot sees when he looks through the propeller. That became their trademark in 1917(I think). If you really don't like your BMW MINI then trade it in for a 1999 mini and pocket the difference, you'll be trading back within a week. My 30 years of using BMW products will be followed by 30 more. There, now I feel better.
>>Motor on, MB

AMEN!!!!!!!!! :smile: