R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Anyone call it a "BMW MINI"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 01:50 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excuse the rant here but I don't understand people who always call this car a BMW MINI... the name is MINI Cooper. I know, I know, the the new MINI Cooper was designed by BMW, and MINI brand and production plants are owned by BMW, and it even has some parts shared from 3-series Bimmers, but can you imagine other late models being refered to in this manner...
How about buying a new Ford Jaguar, Ford Aston Martin, Ford Land Rover, Ford Volvo, Ford Mazda, a Volkswagen Audi, Volkswagen Lamborghini, Volkswagen Bently, Volkswagen Bugatti, a GM Saab, GM Hummer, or a DaimlerChrysler Jeep, and the list goes on...
I say just call it by it's make and model like everything else... it is not a BMW. It is different.

Old 07-07-2003, 01:52 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I just call it a Coop....

Old 07-07-2003, 01:58 PM
C4
Banned
I either call it a MINI or a Cooper but in well respected international auto trade industry magazines (Such as Autonews Europe), the car is always referenced as the "BMW MINI". State Farm lists the MINI also as BMW.

Doesn't bother me one bit.

Old 07-07-2003, 01:59 PM
jsun
6th Gear
My insurance company calls it a "BMW MINI"

At the risk of bringing forth a flame, I'll note that the name "BMW" has prestige that Ford, GM, or Volkswagon does not. So, you can call something a BMW MINI and have it respected in the way that "Ford Jaguar" would not. But, if Jaguar bought Ford (ha!), then Jaguar Ford might not be so far from a possibility. See what I mean?

Old 07-07-2003, 01:59 PM
DREW
2nd Gear
My DMV called it a VW MINI...

DREW

Old 07-07-2003, 02:02 PM
C4
Banned
>>My insurance company calls it a "BMW MINI"
>>
>>At the risk of bringing forth a flame, I'll note that the name "BMW" has prestige that Ford, GM, or Volkswagon does not. So, you can call something a BMW MINI and have it respected in the way that "Ford Jaguar" would not. But, if Jaguar bought Ford (ha!), then Jaguar Ford might not be so far from a possibility. See what I mean.

I agree. Interesting to note that VW owns or at least has a vested interest in Lamborghini cars. You'll never see references to the "VW Lamborghini Mucielago". If it were the other way around, rest assure owners bragging about their "Lamborghini Beetle" or "Lamborghini Golf", etc.

The BMW names has the marketing perception missing in GM, Ford, etc.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
Very well put Vince....Give'm Hell

Old 07-07-2003, 02:24 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Volkswagon is just as respectable as BMW in terms of quality. It's just not snotty. Which the BMW name is (don't even TRY to deny it).

<<<You'll never see references to the "VW Lamborghini Mucielago". If it were the other way around, rest assure owners bragging about their "Lamborghini Beetle" or "Lamborghini Golf", etc.>>>

This infers that we should like that our cars are linked to BMW? I, personally, don't care one way or the other. But I don't think the mystical magical "BMW" preceding MINI does anything except further a misconception.

I drive a MINI Cooper S. And I explain this to people when they try to tell me that what I really drive is a baby Bimmer.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:31 PM
scobib
5th Gear
My insurance company calls it a BMW Cooper...

Old 07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never mention BMW unless pressed. Its a MINI. Invariably the,"who makes it" question comes up and I'm cornered. Fortunately, most folks, if they are impressed by MINIs at all, are equally impressed that BMW makes it. Now, when I continue and start explaining the Cooper part, most people wind up being sorry they asked in the first place and just slowly back away.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
C4
Banned
>>I think Volkswagon is just as respectable as BMW in terms of quality. It's just not snotty. Which the BMW name is (don't even TRY to deny it).
>>
>>
>><<<You'll never see references to the "VW Lamborghini Mucielago". If it were the other way around, rest assure owners bragging about their "Lamborghini Beetle" or "Lamborghini Golf", etc.>>>
>>
>>This infers that we should like that our cars are linked to BMW? I, personally, don't care one way or the other. But I don't think the mystical magical "BMW" preceding MINI does anything except further a misconception.
>>
>>I drive a MINI Cooper S. And I explain this to people when they try to tell me that what I really drive is a baby Bimmer.
>>

I don't think VW is known for "Quality"...(Just ask any Jetta or Beetle owner). BMW is not the pinnacle either but it is in a totally different league from VW's products.

The new MINI is a BMW. Would you still have bought this car if it had been a Rover or a BMC product?

The BMW backing is what helps this car with its excellent residual values, not to mention all other aspects of the car in terms of engineering, performance dynamics, etc.

I really don't understand what is the beef about the BMW name or ties to the car. Some of you are beginning to sound like disgruntled classic Mini owners...."100% free of BMW parts", "Buy the REAL thing", etc.

At the end of the day, labels are just labels.

On Order: 2004 MCS (Chili Red/White roof) September '03 production date, October '03 delivery.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Indy_Archy
3rd Gear
Jsun, I thnk Ford does own Jaguar. And General Motors definately touts ALL of their brands that they've either developed or purchased in their advertising. If you have seen their new ad for the 24 hour test drive, you'll notice they show the Saab logo, Hummer logo, etc.... as well as Cehvy, Cadillac, etc...

Old 07-07-2003, 02:37 PM
2minis
6th Gear
"The new MINI is a BMW. Would you still have bought this car if it had been a Rover or a BMC product?"

Absolutely. I kind of wish it was....

Old 07-07-2003, 02:38 PM
C4
Banned
>>"The new MINI is a BMW. Would you still have bought this car if it had been a Rover or a BMC product?"
>>
>>Absolutely. I kind of wish it was....

I hope you are joking...

Are you missing the Lucas electrics, too?

Old 07-07-2003, 02:41 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
The worst offense I have heard was: "BMW Metro"
aaarrrhhhggggg

Old 07-07-2003, 02:43 PM
ronvan
3rd Gear
>>My insurance company calls it a BMW Cooper...

Mine too.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:43 PM
C4
Banned
OK, its a MINI made by BMW AG....happy?

Old 07-07-2003, 02:52 PM
2minis
6th Gear
>>
>>I hope you are joking...
>>
>>Are you missing the Lucas electrics, too?

With all the MGs and Triumphs I had I suffered only one minor
electrical problem. A loose ground on an '80 MGB fuel pump.
I had a '67 that I sold to a friend that still has the original Lucas
headlamps and tailights and over 200,000 miles.
Olde wives tales.....

Old 07-07-2003, 02:54 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<<I don't think VW is known for "Quality"...(Just ask any Jetta or Beetle owner).>>>

Both New Beetle owners, the classic Beetle owner, and both Jetta owners I know, in addition to my parents who owned VWs throughout the years, are/were entirely pleased with their Volkswagons. Now, the 3 series owner I know, who is forever and always fussing with a crappy electrical system, he's less than thrilled.

<<<The new MINI is a BMW. Would you still have bought this car if it had been a Rover or a BMC product?>>>

Is it that shocking that some of us didn't buy the car because it's vaguely related to BMW? To answer your question, yeah. I'd have bought it anyway.

I've nothing against BMW. I just don't drive one. And if you're going to affix BMW to MINI then you have to call Jaguars Fords, as previously mentioned.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:54 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>The worst offense I have heard was: "BMW Metro"
>>aaarrrhhhggggg

Exactly!

Old 07-07-2003, 02:56 PM
IQQIMINI
Coordinator :: Mid-Ohio Motoring Club
In my best Harry Potter voice:

"NEVAAHH!!!"

Old 07-07-2003, 03:12 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
My wife drives a 98 528I. After all these years of driving the car and paying for service I now know what BMW stands for...Bust My Wallet

Old 07-07-2003, 05:51 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
MINI is going out of its way to seperate its image from BMW. At the dealership if we even hand a customer a MINI part in a BMW bag....we are in trouble. There is good reason for this. Not only is it not a BMW, but eventually MINI will have a full line of cars....the cabrio, truck ect... So MINI will have to be able to hold it brand name and stand on its own. Also MINI is supposed to represent something different than BMW. BMW is a classic more traditional high end feel. As whereas MINI is aiming for the fun, open minded "free spirit" market. As a result I try to make it very clear to all my customers and people I meet while motoring, that a MINI is a MIINI and NOT a BMW.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:02 PM
mpemburn
4th Gear
I would not be caught dead driving a BMW ('cept maybe an old 2002). MINI is an English car. BMW is a Bavarian car. Finis.

Frau Blüecar -- MC IB/W. Motoring since 3-10-2003

Old 07-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I don't call it BMW. I say MINI Cooper. If people ask who makes it, I say MINI. Sometimes people ask if MINI is a VW because it's a new retro looking car. I then say, no actually MINI is owned by BMW, just like Mercedes and Jeep are owned by Daimler Chrysler.

I like the MINI ! I wouldn't care if it were made by Yugo, I'd be getting me one!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Anyone call it a "BMW MINI"?