R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Rally Driving Lights - Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003 | 07:29 PM
Pebbles
|
6th Gear
Give me the pros and cons to the Rally Driving Lights.

Is the Driving Lights switch part of the toggle bank of switches? and if not, can it be wired to be a part of the toggles?

Old 07-07-2003 | 07:34 PM
ScooterMan
3rd Gear
Is not and most likely cannot. The bank of switches are computer controlled.

Old 07-07-2003 | 07:35 PM
shaskan
4th Gear
I guess you have to ask yourself if you would get them for the functionalty af them, or just the pure cosmetic value. Do you think you will use them? If not it might be just tossing money in the trash. I like them for the look mostly, sort of the classic Mini look. I don't think I would ever really use them though.

Im sure you can fill one of the blanks in the switch bank. There have been a few posts about using the empty slots. I just cant find them right now. I think the only problem is that noone sells the toggles that are identical in look to the stock ones. Not that i'v efound anyway.

Frank

Old 07-07-2003 | 07:41 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
First it's a matter of aesthetics. Do you like the look?

Second it's a matter of affordability and quality. If you can afford to have the dealership install it, then get them. If you are a do it yourselfer, you can get some higher quality after market lights although there might be warranty issues.

I love the driving lights because of the rally car look and especially at night on dark roads they're so bright with the high and low beams all working in unison. Bugs love them too though

Old 07-07-2003 | 07:50 PM
Pebbles
|
6th Gear
yes, I like the look of them! That's the main reason I'd want them. I really liked the look of the red MCS in the Italian Job movie.

I think if they were on the car, I'd use them too. It's good to hear they do help with visibility at night!

I plan to get the Aero Kit so I would be having the dealership put them on too. I've just never heard here on MCO if they are great or if they could pose problems.

Like, Do they break easily? Do they need / come with wire covers?, etc....

Old 07-07-2003 | 07:57 PM
Box-O-Fun
Neutral
I have them on my MCS and I use them on lonely dark roads late at night because they are realy bright . They only come on with your bright lights when you activate them with the switch. It looks realy cool when they're on because they are inline with ,equaly spaced and the same diameter as your brights , which looking at the front of the car four lights straight across the front of your Mini at night looks both impressive and imposing coming at you!
Bob

Old 07-07-2003 | 08:00 PM
Box-O-Fun
Neutral
I don't use them all the time though

Old 07-07-2003 | 10:09 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
I've only used mine a couple of times. I got them because they were the least useless of the 3 options Desert MINI let me choose from for my $2500 over MSRP purchase price. That being said, I really like the look. Again, it goes back to the classic Mini look even though none of my old Minis had rallys.

The switch is a push-button that is installed in the knee bolster under the steering wheel, on the driver's door side. The way they are wired, they will only come on when you have your high beams on. So you can turn the switch on, and still not totally blind people coming towards you by dimming in the normal manner.

You can see the button on the left side of this picture:

LY/B MCS, black scoop & bonnet stripes. MINIAC plates.

Old 07-08-2003 | 04:28 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
:smile: :smile:

Chow!

Donna
donna@dcmetrominis.org

Old 07-08-2003 | 06:37 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
If you have xenons, the lo-beams will stay on when you switch to high beams. This is to avoid switching the xenons on and off all the time when switching back and forth, or when flashing high-beams.
Now, with driving lights, how does that work? Will you have hi-beams, driving lights AND xenon lo-beams on at the same time? In a lot of states that exceeds the legal limit of bulbs you can have on?
Just curious.

M.

Old 07-08-2003 | 10:14 AM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
We carry the PIAA driving lights (NMA3020) for the MINI at a much lower price than the factory unit. We should have stock later this month.

Let me know if you have any questions!

kens@minimania.com

Old 07-08-2003 | 07:07 PM
Pebbles
|
6th Gear
Yes, I'd like to know how the Rally lights work with the Xenon's. I saw them driving the MINIs in the Italian Job with the Rally Lights on. and it didn't look like they had their high beams on at the same time.

I'm really not one to use my high beams much. There are usually other cars on the road and it's rude to leave them on when cars are coming toward you. So does this mean, the Rally lights get cut off and on all the time with the high beams?

Old 07-08-2003 | 08:25 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
I've got them.... am a bit of a light junkie.

Xenons and TWO sets of rally lights, as well as the foglights. LOVE THEM!

I always drive with my headlights on, and the first thing I do after starting the car is turn both sets of rally lights on. That way if I need to flash my highbeams to get someone's attention, I'll -REALLY- be getting their attention.

Federal law makes it illegal to have two sets of driving lights on the car, but then again it also makes it illegal to have a single set of driving lights, at least in the configuration that MINI offers them. No more than 4 separate lights on the front of a car.... 2 lowbeams and 2 highbeams and you are at the limit allready. Add fogs and a set of driving lights and you've reached 8 lights. The catch is that the driving lights are sold "for offroad use only."

Talked to a couple cops about this, including one who drove an S with 2 sets of lights on it, and they said as long as you treat the driving lights as highbeams, and only use them when safe to do so and not blinding others, then you'd never have a problem with them.

Old 07-08-2003 | 09:05 PM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
>>Talked to a couple cops about this, including one who drove an S with 2 sets of lights on it, and they said as long as you treat the driving lights as highbeams, and only use them when safe to do so and not blinding others, then you'd never have a problem with them.

If it were in my power to cause the spontaneous destruction of on and operational fog/rally lights on cars coming at me, I would. It seems few drivers who have these lights show regard for the vision of oncoming drivers. I'm glad to see the folks here showing some concern about that. It's a first for me.

Old 07-08-2003 | 09:08 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
I'm always surprised too that many other drivers on the road do not use their high beams or use them inappropriately. ops:

Old 07-08-2003 | 09:31 PM
KAR120C
1st Gear
Has anyone installed the 4 Rally light setup offered by Moss Mini? Seems like a nice setup and you can put 2 or 4 lights on the mounting bar. I don't know how easy it is to wire, but love to read a first hand account.

Old 07-09-2003 | 06:55 AM
GARFIELD
2nd Gear
Pebbles,
About a month ago I had the PIAA driving lights (2) installed on my Chili Red MC.
It took me almost 2 months to get them in because of faulty brackets. I ordered them from Randy at MotorSports. You can find him on MCO at Under the Bonnet.
Pebbles, if you have not purchased your lights yet, do yourself a big big favor & don't even consider the MINI lights. The PIAA lights are larger like the popular Classic Mini lights. The "look" is truly something to behold. You just won't believe the difference. The lights also improve the safety factor. You can be seen & you can see. I drive all the time at night with all lights on & no one has ever flashed their lights at me to dim. It cost me just $35.00 to have them professionaly installed, from one of my clients, which I am sure was a reduced rate. I had them installed where they come on independently of my other lights. He used the switch that came with the installation kit & installed it on the left silver post that runs to the floor under the instrument panel. Looks good, easy to reach. There is a green light that stays on all the time (when ignition is on) indicating lights are off & turns red when lights are on. I can't remember exactly, but the lights cost me around $375.00, which is about what the MINI lights cost. I love my lightss & what they do for my car. The PIAA lights also have a stone grid on the front that looks really cool too. Also, if you want to be noticed, this will triple your "looks". I have had several mods, PLAYMINI Exhaust, etc., but this was the most dramatic improvement.
Sorry for the long post, but I feel so good about the lights I just want to get my point accross if its possible.
Good luck!
Terry

Old 07-09-2003 | 07:26 PM
Pebbles
|
6th Gear
Thanks everyone -

Ken and Garfield - those PIAA lights sound great! I do like the look of the classic rally lights with the rock screens! I like the idea that they have their own switch. I do not drive around with my high beams on. When I'm on a dark road and put on my high beams, in 1/2 second a car comes toward me and I have to put them back to low beams! So if I could leave the rally lights on, with the low beams it would be what I'd want. otherwise, why get them ? I'd never use them if they are only associated with the High Beams!

Garfield - could you post a photo of your car! Those lights sound great!!

Old 07-09-2003 | 07:32 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
One guy I talked to at a recent event told me he spliced his into the high-beam wires. No extra switch needed, they come on when he turns on his brights.

Old 07-09-2003 | 07:49 PM
Pebbles
|
6th Gear
>>One guy I talked to at a recent event told me he spliced his into the high-beam wires. No extra switch needed, they come on when he turns on his brights.
>>

If this is the case, then I'd never use them. I never use my brights. There are too many other cars on the roads. I'd like the look of the lights like they were shown in the Italian Job movie. They didn't look like they were on brights! They looked like they were extra lights used for everyday night driving.

Old 07-09-2003 | 09:10 PM
MINIsota
1st Gear
>>If this is the case, then I'd never use them. I never use my brights. There are too many other cars on the roads. I'd like the look of the lights like they were shown in the Italian Job movie. They didn't look like they were on brights! They looked like they were extra lights used for everyday night driving.
>>

Okay, I'm confused.
I thought the driving lights were even brighter than your regular high-beams. Thus the reason for them only coming on when you have your brights on.

Am I wrong about this??

Old 07-10-2003 | 06:52 AM
froggert
1st Gear
driving lights usually are brighter and more focused than regular highbeams.

i haven't seen the movie, but there are also add-on fog lights and auxiliary lowbeams.

Old 07-10-2003 | 07:00 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
>>>>If this is the case, then I'd never use them. I never use my brights. There are too many other cars on the roads. I'd like the look of the lights like they were shown in the Italian Job movie. They didn't look like they were on brights! They looked like they were extra lights used for everyday night driving.
>>>>
>>
>>Okay, I'm confused.
>>I thought the driving lights were even brighter than your regular high-beams. Thus the reason for them only coming on when you have your brights on.
>>
>>Am I wrong about this??

I'm the one who spliced them into my highbeams and yes they are VERY bright. I would be surprised if nobody got upset if you were driving towards them with the low beams and these lights on. Too bright for all the time driving IMHO.

Old 07-10-2003 | 10:45 AM
bbmykal
4th Gear
It's all about looks baby

Old 07-10-2003 | 08:34 PM
Pebbles
|
6th Gear
Boy they do look good.

I looked at the PIAA site and found they make a nice 540 light that would look really good on the MINI. Perhaps I won't have the dealer install them afterall. . .

Thanks everyone for the great advise!