R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My R53s night out with a R56.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Fracas
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My R53s night out with a R56.

Its not every day that you see another young mini owner. I feel as if Im the only one out there. I prowl the streets in search of another's like me, in which I can share my interests with.But, the younger crowd only seems to be interested in mustangs, 350-zs, etc. etc.However, yesterday at a local Wendy's. I was parked up out side with a couple of friends. A more aggressive, muscle-bound mini cooper decided to show itself... the r56. I had to flag him down. He was a young guy around my age. We were pretty dang excited to meet each other.We talked about every thing regrading the mini,from our rims to NAM. Ok...so heres the lowdown I have a 02 r53. Modification's include alta intake. miltek header magnaflow exhaust. 15% pulley, dinan s4 suspension work, and little tweaks here and there. His r56 had a alta intake. He has never been in a r53 and i havent been in a r56. He then asked me if i woulndt mind to go for a spin with him.I promissed him a ride in my r53 later this week after i fixed my suspension( my rubber bushing thinngy is cracked).It was as if i stepped into another mini realm. I hate to admit it was much more inviting than my car. Like some sort of south beach club.... neon lights all over the place.He then pushed the engine start button to turn on his vehicle and we were off. As he started stepping on his car... this mini... seemed foreign to me. The s/c wasn't screaming with excitement anymore.... but, was replaced with some cocky turbo saying... is that it? at the end of every gear. The corners seemed softer.... not as much thrill as a R53. The R56 just didn't feel as quick as my car... but... for some strange reason i knew we where going fast. It was as if the mini had grown up..Upon arriving back at wendys i couldn't wait to get my car fixed so i could give him a little test drive..It was getting late and we all had to leave. The r56 owner wanted to have a little race to see how he compared next to me. I couldn't help but to smile inside.(I don't street race but i couldn't refuse a offer against a r56) On the street i told him to honk and we were off...To my amazement...my car didn't pull on him... I tried frantically to do everything in my power to beat him.... I even resorted to power shifting.. But... at the end of the road the was no victor... I promise you it was a tie.. However, I felt as if i lost.. Its like i have to work double just to keep up with a R56... As i looked over onto the R56... it was like i could see it smiling, laughing... saying i told you so....

(sry for the long post)

Old 01-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Curious just what the "younger crowd" is. Interesting story.

Edit: And expect to hear quite a bit of flaming about street racing before this gets locked.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Yeah...we're not into street racing here on the site so please save this type of information for other forums.

Mark

Old 01-14-2008, 02:47 PM
H.A.W.G.
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being 19 I fully understand what you say about the "younger crowd". It seems like a lot of guys my age think its either gay (sorry), and a few love it but dont have they ***** to drive one. Most girls just drive it because its cute. Im always looking for young guys that drive MINIs, we are few and far between.

Great comparison of models

Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
If we could teach you some basic punctuation and paragraph formation, you'd be quite the writer! I enjoyed your description, and I like how your main point remains: two Mini enthusiasts, regardless of which they like/drive, can hang out and get along.

So, one question: do you have the R56 itch? Do you have to have one?

mb

Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Wow great story. Kinda surprised Mark didnt lock it.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
adam76
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniStupidfun
Wow great story. Kinda surprised Mark didnt lock it.
I believe he's relying on us to self-moderate the racing/speeding issues. The collective "we" of NAM tend to lash out against street racers and irresponsible driving in general. So, Fracas, consider yourself flamed. Aside from the racing, I did enjoy your post, though.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I suppose Dave didn't put the lock on the thread because he realizes rules are not always black and white, but various shades of gray.

This thread's main point isn't the speeds they were traveling, but the comparison between the two MCSs.

Good story, Fracas. Enjoy your youth but be careful out there. You're young but not invincible (coming from somebody that used to drive the Autobahns when he was 23 years old like he WAS invincible but is pretty lucky to be alive today to talk about it).

Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great story - glad you've found another MINI friend out there - that's what it's all about.

Donna

Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops
two Mini enthusiasts, regardless of which they like/drive, can hang out and get along.
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
glad you've found another MINI friend out there - that's what it's all about.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:08 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
good story. I have driven many a mini and the r56 in stock form will out perform a moded cooper S in a straight line.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:19 PM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome post! Yes, the younger crowd can seem to be a bit bare, but we are out here! Up here in CT, we have a lot of us Youngins' in the local Mini group.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Great story. Makes me glad I bought my R56 instead of getting a used R53!

I am sorta in the "younger" crowd. 27. But it is pretty rare to see anyone under 40(ish) in a MINI around here...

Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Curious just what the "younger crowd" is. Interesting story.

Edit: And expect to hear quite a bit of flaming about street racing before this gets locked.
The topic of age and subculture has been one of interest to me since buying my Mini a year ago.I have noticed the massive difference in age of the average European Mini enthusiast and the average American Mini driver or Mini Club enthusiast.After seeing footage of Mini United in Amsterdam,it would appear that the younger (18-30) drivers have been seduced more by the Mini in Europe than they have been here.My theory as to why this is?I think that most the younger car people here have been wowed by the tuner craze(Honda,Mitsu,Sub...etc),or if they are a guy consider a big truck or Mustang as more suitable for their "tough" profile.Maybe the price has limited the "younger crowd" from purchasing a Mini.Whatever the case,their are a lot of secret Mini admirers of all ages and sexes out there.Although I'm 40,I still see myself as 20 inside-for now at least.Regardless,I love my R53!!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Yeah, Mini kind of priced themselves out of the "younger" crowd some, but with the influx of second-owner Minis out there it seems to be getting somewhat younger. Glad you found a bud, and +1 on the above - there are enough mini and BMW (and other make) car clubs around with enough track time to get our jollies away from the streets.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 PM
capnmini
4th Gear
i totally see what people are talking about when talking about peoples ages. I bought my 06 R53 when i had just turned 26, and when i attended a club event the first time i was the youngest guy in there, i was quite surprised.
On the other hand i wouldnt trade my R53 for an R56 for the world but i would like to own both of them just because of their differences

Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
It's great to have the young folks around, they have a unique perspective on MINIs that is very interesting. Being an oldster, the attraction goes all the way back to the British sports cars me and my friends used to drive, which is a whole different viewpoint.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 PM
zeero311
Neutral
I'm 25 and just bought my first 06 R53 (which i prefer over the R56), from my experience so far, not only do the younger but older crowd make fun of it as well... I don't care to be honest, if more females like the car better then the more female attention it will draw

I travel to Europe 4-5 times a year for my job and so far have met 4 or 5 people in their late 20's that drive mini's, however haven't met anyone under 40 here in Atlanta yet.

Last edited by zeero311; 01-16-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Ah almost everyone makes fun of something, heard two early-30's guys walking into Giant Eagle (grocery store) yesterday, the snippet of negative-to-Mini conversation I caught as I walked back to my Mini was "... at some time the laws of physics takes over..."

I thought "yeah, small, light, and nimble AVOIDS the accident"!

Besides, the chicks dig it.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 AM
zeero311
Neutral
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Ah almost everyone makes fun of something, heard two early-30's guys walking into Giant Eagle (grocery store) yesterday, the snippet of negative-to-Mini conversation I caught as I walked back to my Mini was "... at some time the laws of physics takes over..."

yeah, plus all the "cool kids" these days are dumping all of their money in gas for their SUV's

I think I read it somewhere in someone's signature on the forum that said it best, "because some of us don't need to compensate"

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
grillhands
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2

The ladies are constantly coming up to me telling me how awesome Mini coopers are. They like it even more when i show them the back seat

Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by grillhands
The ladies are constantly coming up to me telling me how awesome Mini coopers are. They like it even more when i show them the back seat

Old 01-16-2008, 07:25 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
I live in probably the most publicized retirement town in the country, so I can't relate with this thread.
As for me, I've had delayed maturity development, so a MINI is a perfect choice.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 89AKurt
I've had delayed maturity development, so a MINI is a perfect choice.
That's funny, I have advanced maturity development and I think you come full circle with these things, realizing that enjoyment of simple, everyday pleasures (motoring) is well worth pursuing. And again the MINI is perfect for this, too!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 AM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vdubdoug
good story. I have driven many a mini and the r56 in stock form will out perform a moded cooper S in a straight line.