R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 AM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise control

This probably is the dumbest question here but in the 3 months I have had the car I haven't found it or come to the conclusion it doesnt have it, but how would I know if the car has cruise control? I was under the impression cars came standard with it now. After all my '88 BMW has it, I would have thought cruise control was a standard thing.. With the odd locations for stuff in the mini (bonnet latch for example) is the cruise control lever like.. in the trunk or the glove box?

Was it an additional option in '03 for the R50 to have cruise control?

If I dont have cruise control the 10hr drive to MOTD is gonna be a loong drive...

Old 02-17-2008, 08:31 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have cruise control, you have a set of buttons to control it on the right-hand spoke of the steering wheel.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:35 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sil3ncer7
This probably is the dumbest question here but in the 3 months I have had the car I haven't found it or come to the conclusion it doesnt have it, but how would I know if the car has cruise control? I was under the impression cars came standard with it now. After all my '88 BMW has it, I would have thought cruise control was a standard thing.. With the odd locations for stuff in the mini (bonnet latch for example) is the cruise control lever like.. in the trunk or the glove box?

Was it an additional option in '03 for the R50 to have cruise control?

If I dont have cruise control the 10hr drive to MOTD is gonna be a loong drive...
Yep, all cars should come standard with cruise control. It's not like you gotta use it if you don't want to. But...the MINI doesn't, it's optional, and as was said, if you ain't got the buttons on the steering wheel, it ain't there.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:46 PM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
Yep, all cars should come standard with cruise control. It's not like you gotta use it if you don't want to. But...the MINI doesn't, it's optional, and as was said, if you ain't got the buttons on the steering wheel, it ain't there.

Well that sux... for me... dang, its gonna be a long drive.

Dont suppose I could go to the dealer and have them install it... could I?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Yes you could. New steering wheel, and electronics. Not cheap.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I considered the mod for a while, but doing it right (i.e., OEM parts) turned out to be prohibitively expensive, as Gromit attests. I just decided to live without it.

I've done just over 1,000 miles at a single pop while relying on the gray cruise control that sits directly between my ears. I missed the other version a lot less than I would have otherwise thought. The engine revs at highway speed, responsiveness, and sound seem to keep me in tune with the speed I'm traveling and you sort of fall into a groove. The only fatigue factor for me is when I rest my leg too heavily against the down tube for a long stretch.

My suggestion is to take the back roads to MOTD. You'll be spending so much time accelerating out of the sweepers that you'll not even be thinking about cruising...

Old 02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
I've been trying to figure out adding cruise control to an R53 that currently doesn't have it installed. I've always had cruise control and used it everywhere so not having it is a real problem for me. Here's a thread that seems to answer some questions;

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=128591

Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 PM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I considered the mod for a while, but doing it right (i.e., OEM parts) turned out to be prohibitively expensive, as Gromit attests. I just decided to live without it.

I've done just over 1,000 miles at a single pop while relying on the gray cruise control that sits directly between my ears. I missed the other version a lot less than I would have otherwise thought. The engine revs at highway speed, responsiveness, and sound seem to keep me in tune with the speed I'm traveling and you sort of fall into a groove. The only fatigue factor for me is when I rest my leg too heavily against the down tube for a long stretch.

My suggestion is to take the back roads to MOTD. You'll be spending so much time accelerating out of the sweepers that you'll not even be thinking about cruising...
I am not worried about using the cruise control when I am there on the Dragon, it is the highway time going down there and coming back that I think cruise control would be helpful

Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 AM
resmini
6th Gear
I am not worried about using the cruise control when I am there on the Dragon, it is the highway time going down there and coming back that I think cruise control would be helpful
Your're right, it is, also helps make it easier to sell your MINI...unless you can find someone who doesn't notice it's not there.

Keep checking on having it done, maybe it's not as expensive as we think it is.....good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FD3SDriver
I've been trying to figure out adding cruise control to an R53 that currently doesn't have it installed. I've always had cruise control and used it everywhere so not having it is a real problem for me. Here's a thread that seems to answer some questions;

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=128591
This thread deals only with the MFSW installation, potentially a $1200 hit. One would then have to have the cruise control components installed. Likely another couple of grand minimum, unless it's a DIY job.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM
bing44
1st Gear
Do a search for aftermarket CC. I don't know what's out there but I have installed one before (not in a Mini) so I know they are available.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Miniriffic
2nd Gear
Well that sux... for me... dang, its gonna be a long drive.
If it's any consolation, you can get better gas mileage without the cruise control engaged. I checked this out a few times thanks to a 50 mile commute (1-way). I consistently got 1-2 mpg better without cruise in use.