R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cooper acceleration lag with air conditioning on

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 03:56 PM
batticus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in L.A. and have been using my a/c recently during mid-day. I've noticed that when I start from a complete stop with the a/c on, the engine takes a second or two to kick in. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it supposed to be this way or is this a problem?

Old 08-29-2002, 04:15 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
4500 miles and have not felt the lag at any time.
The power on my MC is AB FAB.
Motor On!!

Old 08-29-2002, 08:41 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
batticus,

Welcome to MCO. Yes, the problem you describe is a real problem and MINI knows about it. Don't worry, it's not just you. It affects manual Coopers. The emissions restrictions are too tight, so when it's hot out and you turn the AC on, it chokes the power from the car because it's trying to restrict emissions too much. It may even outright stall on you.

There will be a software fix available in the next month or so from MINI (Check with your dealership/service center). You'll have to take it in so they can adjust the program- they'll need it for a day. Or you can take it in right now, they remove the computer, ship it out, fix it, ship it back, re-install it, and 2 weeks later you can have your car back (I don't suggest you go that route!). Just hang in there and be pleased knowing it will be fixed soon and it's not something you have to put up with forever.

Old 08-30-2002, 12:35 AM
batticus
1st Gear
Thanks for your informative reply.....I've only had my Mini a week and a half and I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.....Excellent to hear they know about the problem and that a solution is on the way.....

Old 08-30-2002, 06:38 AM
zwoman
3rd Gear
Old 08-30-2002, 06:45 AM
zwoman
3rd Gear
>>batticus,
>>
>>Welcome to MCO. Yes, the problem you describe is a real problem and MINI knows about it. Don't worry, it's not just you. It affects manual Coopers. The emissions restrictions are too tight, so when it's hot out and you turn the AC on, it chokes the power from the car because it's trying to restrict emissions too much. It may even outright stall on you.
>>

Hmmm...just had a thought. Could this only affect California builds as the emission requirements are stricter there? We didn't notice it when we test-drove a car in GA.

Old 09-03-2002, 01:42 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
zwoman, it's only a noticeable problem on the manual Cooper, not the S, so you shouldn't have to worry. When I talked with MINI USA they did not ask what state I was in or mention that it only affects CA. I have heard others from other states complain of the problem too, so who really knows. So, did you pick up your MCS? If so, congrats!!!

Old 09-03-2002, 03:40 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
Not Just Cally . I live in Ohio and noticed the lagg . I also noticed that when i brake the car feels like it is gonna sputter and stall , it hasn't yet but it is VERY anoying

Old 09-03-2002, 06:16 PM
carcanal2
1st Gear
Yes mine does that ,all you have to do is rev it a little bit higher before letting out the clutch. I think everyone is forgetting we are driving cars with 1.6L engines that are built with a powerband high up.

when your car feels bogged rev it
when you see a curve rev it
when you see a cop rev it
when you see an suv rev around it

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Old 09-03-2002, 07:20 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
>>zwoman, it's only a noticeable problem on the manual Cooper, not the S, so you shouldn't have to worry. When I talked with MINI USA they did not ask what state I was in or mention that it only affects CA. I have heard others from other states complain of the problem too, so who really knows. So, did you pick up your MCS? If so, congrats!!! :smile:

Old 09-06-2002, 05:55 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
As cminigo states the software fix is in the works. I reported this about 2 months ago under "stumbling to idle"....same software fix. Spoke with MINI USA today and they advised that the software bulletin will be released in September. They could not give an exact date. Other fixes include D-Ring on trunk latch, which is too thin where it clasps causing rattles in trunk.....No date on that yet...........Nice to know we are all on top of this !!! Only happens in super hot weather with AC on.....

Old 09-06-2002, 06:43 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
>>Yes mine does that ,all you have to do is rev it a little bit higher before letting out the clutch. I think everyone is forgetting we are driving cars with 1.6L engines that are built with a powerband high up.
>>
>>when your car feels bogged rev it
>>when you see a curve rev it
>>when you see a cop rev it
>>when you see an suv rev around it
>>
>> :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Be aware it is a real problem acknowledged by MINI and you should address it with quick software fix....do agree with your rev solutions though, especially last 3 !!!!