R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things to look for when buying a used mini.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Mr. Frodo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to look for when buying a used mini.

Ok guys its getting about time for me to start the hunt. I am going to be looking for a 2002-05 MCS. I have read about some of the problems to see about ie. the PS pump, and something about window motors. Is there anything that some of you guys can help me with? I want to make sure I am getting my moneys worth since I plan to spend up to 15K.

Thanks,
Victor.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:28 PM
boolean_bones
3rd Gear
Lift up the door seals at the door sill and check for rust. This is the seal that is visible when you open the door. Some of them (including my old one) had started developing rust where the sill was welded to the floorboard.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
There's a good article on buying and scrutinizing used MINIs in MC2 magazine from a few months back. I'll see if I can dig up my copy.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
motoringfile.com also has a buyer's guide for used MINIs.

http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
If it's not local to you, see if you have find a NAM member to go look at it and drive it for you before you hike across the states to buy something better left on a used lot. I've done that 4 times in my area for out of state NAM members, 3 have the MINI I tested and 1 was thankful he didn't fly in and buy a lemon.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Front control arm bushings can start to go after 50k. Not too bad to replace, but you can knock a few bills of the price if they seem worn.

Definitely check for shroomed strut towers also.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM
turboexempt
2nd Gear
finding out if and when the clutch was replaced is a very good idea. It seams like clutches like to go out every 30-40k so the car you are looking at may be due or may have a fresh one in there. Shroomed towers is a real biggie also.

The best thing you can do is take the MINI to the dealership and have them look at the service records. That saved me from buying one that had multiple problems. The dealership was able to tell me that the previous owner had brought it in and was aware that it needed a new clutch but didn't have it fixed.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Mr. Frodo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
If it's not local to you, see if you have find a NAM member to go look at it and drive it for you before you hike across the states to buy something better left on a used lot. I've done that 4 times in my area for out of state NAM members, 3 have the MINI I tested and 1 was thankful he didn't fly in and buy a lemon.
Dude that is an awesome idea. And given I can get plane tickets for next to nothing that is cool to know that the NAM family is strong enough that you would do something like that. Very very cool of you. You will be the first to get a pm when it is time to start the hunt. Now the real answer is...who would pick me up from the air port? lol

Originally Posted by tazio
Front control arm bushings can start to go after 50k. Not too bad to replace, but you can knock a few bills of the price if they seem worn.

Definitely check for shroomed strut towers also.
I read about the shroomed towers the other day thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by STLMINI
motoringfile.com also has a buyer's guide for used MINIs.

http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/
Dude that article had an *** load of info, great find thanks mate.

Originally Posted by turboexempt
finding out if and when the clutch was replaced is a very good idea. It seams like clutches like to go out every 30-40k so the car you are looking at may be due or may have a fresh one in there. Shroomed towers is a real biggie also.

The best thing you can do is take the MINI to the dealership and have them look at the service records. That saved me from buying one that had multiple problems. The dealership was able to tell me that the previous owner had brought it in and was aware that it needed a new clutch but didn't have it fixed.
Another good point on the dealer inspection not a bad idea. And that will kinda test the buyer. One might not be confident to allow the car to go for inspection if they know the car has problems. And the clutch is a big one to since they are probably not cheap.

Thanks for all the INFO guys, you guys are the best.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Save yrself the time and hassles and just get a 2005 with lo miles. y'll pay a little more, but y'll have a much more refined car.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. Frodo
And the clutch is a big one to since they are probably not cheap.
To the tune of around $2,600, since (at least on the S) they also replace the dual-mass flywheel, which cannot be turned like a conv. FW.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:47 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
What an awesome idea and a wonderful gesture.

Dean.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Mr. Frodo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
To the tune of around $2,600, since (at least on the S) they also replace the dual-mass flywheel, which cannot be turned like a conv. FW.

Yeah that is what I am thinking...we will see though.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Save yrself the time and hassles and just get a 2005 with lo miles. y'll pay a little more, but y'll have a much more refined car.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 PM
mpdwag
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by turboexempt
This is a bit OT, but before I bought mine about a month ago I called Mini of Dallas to ask them about the service history, and the woman told me she couldn't give me that information "because of privacy issues with the previous owner." I told her I didn't want to know anything about the previous owner, just what had or had not been done to the car. She still wouldn't budge, and my e-mail to the service manager was never answered.

So I called Moritz Mini of Arlington, TX, and they were happy to tell me everything they could find about the car. Guess which dealership I'll be going to in the future?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Mr. Frodo
1st Gear

Is this a good laugh or a bad laugh?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:15 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Is this a good laugh or a bad laugh?
I was wondering the same....

Old 03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Mr. Frodo
1st Gear
I was wondering the same....
Yeah that one could go both ways "Hahaha don't listen to him" "hahaha thats so true"

Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 PM
tazio
6th Gear
It was more like, "Ha ha ha, 'much more refined' is a ginormous overstatement."

Old 03-22-2008, 09:20 AM
sequence
6th Gear
It was more like, "Ha ha ha, 'much more refined' is a ginormous overstatement."
How so?? The consensus on this forum is that the 05s and 06s are much more refined cars that the 02s-04s, due to small, but noticeable, mfgr tweaks of the original first gen cars (like the gearing, the dashboard, etc.)

Old 03-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Mr. Frodo
1st Gear
well here is the problem guys...and girls. I am a college student and will probably remain one for the next 4-5yrs. So money is kinda tight. So my range is 15K may it be a low mileage 2002 or a mid-mileage 2004 or 2005? I will have to see what the best I can find is at the time I am set to buy. I have two things on my side. 1) Excellent Credit. 2) I will have about 7K in cash when it comes time to buy.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:07 AM
supermini02
1st Gear
Ok guys its getting about time for me to start the hunt. I am going to be looking for a 2002-05 MCS. I have read about some of the problems to see about ie. the PS pump, and something about window motors. Is there anything that some of you guys can help me with? I want to make sure I am getting my moneys worth since I plan to spend up to 15K.

Thanks,
Victor.
i had a problem with oil filter housing just turn the car on and look for oil comming out of the oil filter housing

Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 PM
tazio
6th Gear
How so?? The consensus on this forum is that the 05s and 06s are much more refined cars that the 02s-04s, due to small, but noticeable, mfgr tweaks of the original first gen cars (like the gearing, the dashboard, etc.)
They are slightly different, no doubt. And the 05-06 cars are definitely newer than the earlier cars. That is as far as I would go. I actually prefer the earlier close-ratio, slightly taller gearing with JCW-level power and torque.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Mr. Frodo
1st Gear
They are slightly different, no doubt. And the 05-06 cars are definitely newer than the earlier cars. That is as far as I would go. I actually prefer the earlier close-ratio, slightly taller gearing with JCW-level power and torque.
Yeah that is just what I was saying.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:13 PM
hegira
3rd Gear
Mr. Frodo,
You failed to mention (or I missed, which is a distinct possibility) what part of the world you are in.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Mr. Frodo
1st Gear
I am on the Gulf coast in Mississippi.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things to look for when buying a used mini.