R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I am sold!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Mini1966
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sold!

Well, after weeks of researching and debating, I finally got a chance to finish off my testing of all the MINI models and I came to the conclusion that..

1) I wanted a supercharged one
2) I wanted new
3) I wanted the old body style and interior as the new one is too much for me to stomach
4)The only way to get one is buying a convertible

I am excited to report that the convertible drives like a dream.. and I can still order one exactly the way I want it.

The more I looked and drove and played with the new ones, the more I didn't like it.

1) The interior is horrid. The radio is terrible not only in form but function as well. Not logical by any means and the sound quality is pretty poor.

2) I just can NOT get past that front as it looks like a New Beetle with the rounded off stuff...
3) The shifter on the new one feels like a joy stick compared to the original one which feels divine.

4) LOVE that supercharger whiiiiiiiiiiiiiine
5) Love the half open sunroof function of the top, that is so SWEET!

6) couldn't find a MCS with no sunroof used and I will NOT get a sunroof.. Hot, and lots of potential big problems so I have read about.
7) I can get the chrono package, the Harmon Kardon stereo and pick the color I want!

Oh I am sooo excited!

To me its like going back in time to be able to order a older style MINI after they stopped the body style two years ago.. its a weird feeling

So now what color? Im thinking pepper white with a dark green top? Or would that be too golf like.. It is the color of the NY Jets!

what would be a rare color combo in the 'vert?

Last edited by Mini1966; 05-22-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini1966
The more I looked and drove and played with the new ones, the more I didn't like it.
Congrats on behalf of those of us who do like it. You will gain somethings, you will lose out on some things...but as long as you have the MINI you personally want, it's all good. Have fun dialing in the car!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Mini1966
3rd Gear
Perhaps, I should also mention that its just my opinion thats all.. I am sure that the new Mini has some better things, I just feel that they kinda went away from the original thinking of the car. Some things I can appreciate like the new key system, the better fuel economy and perhaps better materials.

Although I really really wonder how they come to the decision on things that to me ( and from the looks of it, many many of us here on NAM) are so **** poor in the execution is beyond me. That center stack with the radio HAS to go.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 PM
hoonpv
4th Gear
haha you look so excited!

good luck! and post pictures after you buy one!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 AM
cycleway4
2nd Gear
congratulations on your decision...!.......
I have to second...I like the pepper white......my car is HyperBlue, but I bought used...youre somewhat limited buying used....you can have a favorites list of a couple colors,...then hope everything comes in the package you find....there is a pepper white conv. near me,...looks great..........dont think I have a preference on top color at the moment...havent thought that much about it........
And I have to say I'm really partial to the Tritec engine......still havent grown to like the Prince engine......I think the Tritec is a very strong, bullet proof, if not somewhat simple design...its great...I like it!!!

congrats again,...
Steve

Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you'll regret this decision. The only thing I like better about the R56 is the seats. As to color, I love mine. I think, if I was to get away from BRG, the cool blue is nice, but the black makes the plastic pieces kind of disappear and would look great with the tuscan beige interior. I think black is the only way to go on top color until there is a tan one available.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:05 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
u already made a right 1st decision in buying mini..

Old 05-23-2008, 05:22 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Unless you plan on keeping the Mini for a long time, I'd reconsider the green top. It will be unique, but that color will hurt resale value. Not a big deal if you're keeping it, but if you want to move it someday, that color will not help your cause.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:44 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure about the green top ....but agree with all else.

Dean.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:20 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Even though I really like silver cars in general, I wanted a contrasting roof on my MINI and didn't want a black roof. So I went with hyper blue because I like the classic look of blue and white and I like having the matching blue dash. However, after seeing the cooper pictured below I really wish I did the same. IMO, I looks amazing. A silver vert with black top, black wheels, aero kit, red calipers and red mirrors would also look SWEET!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, after weeks of researching and debating, I finally got a chance to finish off my testing of all the MINI models and I came to the conclusion that..

1) I wanted a supercharged one
2) I wanted new
3) I wanted the old body style and interior as the new one is too much for me to stomach
4)The only way to get one is buying a convertible

I am excited to report that the convertible drives like a dream.. and I can still order one exactly the way I want it.

4) LOVE that supercharger whiiiiiiiiiiiiiine
5) Love the half open sunroof function of the top, that is so SWEET!

6) couldn't find a MCS with no sunroof used and I will NOT get a sunroof.. Hot, and lots of potential big problems so I have read about.

I agree with you on the first 5 points, but struggle with the logic of #6? You don't want a sunroof because its hot? You are buying a convertible, they are not hot?? Yes the sunroofs have a tendency to rattle, but I have heard of no "big" problems. If anything a convertible top will eventually need to be replaced, that would be "big".

Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Good choice, MINI1966.

Hurry up and put that order in for the new Cabrio as R52 production is scheduled to end towards the tail end of June.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:07 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Good choice, MINI1966.

Hurry up and put that order in for the new Cabrio as R52 production is scheduled to end towards the tail end of June.

. . . and I think most dealers are only taking orders for the next couple of weeks.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Mini1966
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
I agree with you on the first 5 points, but struggle with the logic of #6? You don't want a sunroof because its hot? You are buying a convertible, they are not hot?? Yes the sunroofs have a tendency to rattle, but I have heard of no "big" problems. If anything a convertible top will eventually need to be replaced, that would be "big".

Its like robbing a bank, if your gonna do it, you might as well do it big..

I wasn't crazy about the sunroof because of the inability to completely block out the sun, and my son would get awfully hot in the back seat since on the R53 you can't even open the rear sunroof.

At least with the convertible, you can have it both ways, W I D E open sunroof or full convertible..

Now while thats fun, the main reason for getting one is to be able to custom order what I want, ( for example, I do not want the automatic climate control but I do want the Harmon Kardon setup) and the color I want as well as the manual transmission.

And of course, I want the "old" body style with the original interior.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Its like robbing a bank, if your gonna do it, you might as well do it big..

I wasn't crazy about the sunroof because of the inability to completely block out the sun, and my son would get awfully hot in the back seat since on the R53 you can't even open the rear sunroof.

At least with the convertible, you can have it both ways, W I D E open sunroof or full convertible..

Now while thats fun, the main reason for getting one is to be able to custom order what I want, ( for example, I do not want the automatic climate control but I do want the Harmon Kardon setup) and the color I want as well as the manual transmission.

And of course, I want the "old" body style with the original interior.
Agreed But I live in Fresno CA. it gets HOT here and have never had a problem with the glass roof. That being said, we also have a 2005 BMW 330 convertible and we love having a convertible . Good choice .

Old 05-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Mini1966
3rd Gear
OW, Fresno IS hot! I live in San Jose, so its really nice, plus I can go to Santa Cruz down Hwy 17 at night and its soooo sweet with a convertible..

Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
OW, Fresno IS hot! I live in San Jose, so its really nice, plus I can go to Santa Cruz down Hwy 17 at night and its soooo sweet with a convertible..
Very nice drive I'm originaly from Salinas, so I know You doing that drive down the coast Sunday with Nor Cal Minis?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Vive Le Supercharger!

Cheers for going the "right" path.Vive le super...

Old 05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
i love my sunroof. have had 0 problems? ; /

congrats though!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:20 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Me not likey the MINI sunroofs either. I am like you. Solid roof or full convertible. No shades of grey.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:14 PM
iamhollyb
2nd Gear
I got my 2008 'vert on March 12 and have been in love with it since. I (DH) chose Mellow Yellow with black bonnet stripes and a black top. I like the MY because it's *very* rare. I have yet to see another MY convertible in my driving all around Dallas. I do see lots of red and silver, though.

As for the auto a/c, you can set it to auto, or turn the temp to what you want and adjust the fan up/down and choose which vents the air comes out of. It's not all or nothing for the auto a/c.

I have the cold weather package, sport seats (which I highly recommend), Xenon lights, chrono pack, interior chrome line and premium package. Plus, DH ordered the 16" bridge spoke run-flats.

Have fun choosing which options you want - and give Mellow Yellow some serious consideration if you want to stand out!

-Holly

Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Yves
1st Gear
Hi, Holly:

This car looks awsome.

My next MINI will be a S convertible.

Enjoy your car.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:18 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Go with the green top...it looks great, and being different is a good thing.

Besides, if you keep the car for a long time you can always change the top to a different color.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:31 PM
iamhollyb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yves
Hi, Holly:

This car looks awsome.

My next MINI will be a S convertible.

Enjoy your car.
Thanks - it's a lot of fun! I definitely can't sneak around town now!

-Holly