R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2003 Mini Cooper S Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Ellisonx
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mini Cooper S Fuel Gauge Problem

Hi-

My mini cooper started having a problem with the fuel gauge and I hope someone might be able to help. The gauge worked fine, no problems, until this weekend. the tank was down to the point where the warning light came on. I went and filled the tank up and drove home from work. Next morning, I start the car and the fuel gauge is pegged on empty (no low fuel warning light). I went to the gas station, thinking someone had stolen all my gas. The car only took a dollar or two of gas and was again full. Got in, the fuel gauge worked normally. the next morning, same thing all over again. this time, instead of putting any gas in, I got a paper towel and cleaned the filler cap and the fuel input area...the guage then worked again. Went out this morning, same problem....again. Cleaned the cap and fuel area, guage worked. Came out from work, gauge not working again. Cleaned everything again, guage worked.

Any ideas what's going on?

thanks!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:48 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your sending unit may be going bad...
I know this may sound odd ,,, but try a really good fuel system cleaner ... I had this issue 2 times in one week ,,, was ready to replace the sender and read a post about the same issue ,,one answer was the cleaner . I used 1 can and havent had the issue in over a year .

I used "sea foam"

Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 AM
CFMINI
4th Gear
My 2002 MCS started doing that same trick. The first couple of times it was WTF!!, after that it was just an annoyance. My mechanic replaced the sending unit and put in a new fuel filter in the tank at the same time - problem solved.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Ellisonx
Neutral
thanks!

Hi-

Thanks very much for the replies and suggestions. I'm going to try the fuel cleaner and see if that works. A question about the sender.....was that an expensive fix?

btw....this is my first mini and while I bought it used, I absolutely love it. It's a blast to drive and I couldn't be happier. Once I get this little fuel gauge thing corrected, she'll be back to being perfect.

thanks very much!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 AM
jsharra
3rd Gear
I have an 04 MCS. After my gas tank was replaced last year (road debris pierced it), the fuel gauge quit, but not quite like yours. It insisted on reading half full. I was told then that the tank has two sections and that there are two level sensors and a secondary pump whose raison d'etre is to equalize levels in the two sides. The gauge on the dash reports the sum of the two sensors, so I had one that was failing (in my case they pinched a wire when they installed the new tank). If all this is true, then whatever's bothering your MINI is impacting both sensors or is upstream of them.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Ellisonx
Neutral
Originally Posted by jsharra
I have an 04 MCS. After my gas tank was replaced last year (road debris pierced it), the fuel gauge quit, but not quite like yours. It insisted on reading half full. I was told then that the tank has two sections and that there are two level sensors and a secondary pump whose raison d'etre is to equalize levels in the two sides. The gauge on the dash reports the sum of the two sensors, so I had one that was failing (in my case they pinched a wire when they installed the new tank). If all this is true, then whatever's bothering your MINI is impacting both sensors or is upstream of them.
Interesting, I had no idea they'd designed it like that. Thanks for the information. It's maddening as it's such a relatively small thing but I keep looking over at the fuel gauge willing it to work.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
CFMINI
4th Gear
Very interesting information - thanks!!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 AM
ST!TCH
Neutral
Just installed a Vac/Boost Gauge in my 2003 MCS and its working fine ... but when i start the car the Fuel Guage shows empty and so does the computer on the Tachometer. I tapped into the gray/red dash light wire that leads into the tachometer, would that have something to do with it or do you think it would be the sender as well?

Old 02-09-2023, 06:58 PM
Jordan Smythe
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
And 15 years later, I read this and all of a sudden my broken "half full gauge" makes sense.