R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Why spend so much on your cabin air filter? Alternative here

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goodwood
I'm not questioning it. I'm saying if no one has used it who can speak from experience, then there's no way to know if it's any good or not.

The company's website is not going to come out and say, "We make a cheap piece of crap that's nearly identical to OEM."

If you've had no problems with yours, say so.

I'm not going to buy it just because it's cheap and is "nearly identical" to the OEM.

Chill out while you're at it.
When I installed the TYC cabin air filter I was impressed at the quality and how easy the installation was. I googled "TYC cabin air filters" and saw many car forum posts recommending them. I went on their website, read about the company and made my conclusion to buy. I was further impressed with the packaging and that the TYC filter itself was sealed in plastic.

I created this topic to help people find an affordable, quality air filter, not be questioned. If you're so concerned, then shell out $60+ on an air filter. Honestly, I think they're heavily marked-up. So I found an alternative site. If you *must* have that little MINI emblem embossed on the side of your air filter, hit the dealer. But just so you know, I had an OEM filter in my Subaru that was cheap, flimsy, and formed from paper. Had I known TYC made cabin air filters at the time, I would have preferred to buy from them, as opposed to the dealer.

I really don't know how one reviews a cabin air filter. Should I keep track of how many small insects get past the filter and into the cabin? Should I fuel up on some baked beans, fart in my MINI and see how quickly the odor gets illiminated by the filter? I think you see my point.

Last edited by Xymox; 06-21-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
"I created this topic to help people find an affordable, quality air filter, not be questioned."

So who are you, the great Oz?

Like I said, chill out. If you don't want to waste your time, don't keep reading.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
"Be nice, kids. You guys both have given us good scoop"

Sorry Dad, but he started it!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
I'm done. He's on my ignore list, and I'm sure I'm on his.

The guy seems like his spring is wound a little tight to me. He jumped on me a couple of weeks ago for no reason.

Apologies to anyone else who was offended.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Xymox
5th Gear

cheap imitation

Chill out while you're at it.

I'm not going to buy it just because it's cheap and is "nearly identical" to the OEM.

So who are you, the great Oz?

Like I said, chill out. If you don't want to waste your time, don't keep reading

The guy seems like his spring is wound a little tight to me. He jumped on me a couple of weeks ago for no reason.
To me, the above comments/attacks are exactly what is not needed around this place. You "assume" I'm all fired-up because I'm backing-up my statements with links and results. Sorry, this is a discussion forum. Instead of the personal attacks, I chose to enlighten you with the resources. Judging by the above comments, you chose to joust.

I posted this thread to help people, not bicker. I feel it's a great product at this price and simply wanted to share with the forum. If the help is not appreciated, hit the back button and move on. I wanted as many NAM members as possible to "get in on this deal" while it lasts.

And for the record, I never "jumped on you" a couple of weeks ago. Sorry, you must have me confused with another member. If I correctly recall, I believe I actually tried helping you with your power steering woes a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Xymox; 06-21-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to see that the packaging was on par. The pic on the site isn't that great. Carbon filters need to be packaged in bags to prevent moisture from getting to the product before the consumer uses it (just in case it sits on the shelf or in a muggy warehouse for months on end.)
I think I'll be going this route later this summer. I just pulled mine and it looks decent with hardly and dust and no funky smell.
Took about a minutes to pull it, very simple.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:23 PM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Just ordered one up, thanks for the link Xymox!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 AM
manicrodder
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lordgrinz
Just ordered one up, thanks for the link Xymox!
Me too. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Goodwood, Xymox: A little patience would be appropriate. The answer awaits you both. I've dealt with/sold/installed TYC products for years; mostly in the lighting assembly line, and have yet to be disappointed in their products. Great quality materials and fit and finish. Very little comeback.
They make good stuff.
Hug and make up.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:05 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the problem with cheap imitations, they are often "nearly identical" to the original.

I'm not saying this particular filter is no good, I'm just saying there's no way to know 'til you try it; or until we hear from others who've used it.

Just discovered my daughter's '03 VR/W CVT had NO cabin air filter in it when I went to check it... so, maybe a cheap imitation isn't the worst thing in the world that could happen to you.

On second thought, I guess if the cheap imitation started disintegrating while installed and got filter material all throughout your ventilation system, THAT could be worse than not having a filter.

What to do, what to do?
And why are you getting so all fired worked up over a frikkin' filter?

Save your money and buy what you want. Now you have an additional option when you decide to buy a new one, or you could save yourself that all important $20 and get a new air freshener for the car.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
not just a frikkin filter

Originally Posted by ScottinBend
And why are you getting so all fired worked up over a frikkin' filter?

Save your money and buy what you want. Now you have an additional option when you decide to buy a new one, or you could save yourself that all important $20 and get a new air freshener for the car.
not just a k'n filter....but the CABIN AIR FILTER .....

now, do they make an oil filter? Or an engine air filter?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:30 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Xymox,
thank you for such a great tip.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
You're all very welcome. I hope to find more slick deals for the MINI folk in the future.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 AM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Are these guys as slow as molasses, or do they have trouble filling orders? I havent heard word one from them and there is still no tracking number for my order yet.

ECS Tuning isnt much better, they keep showing "Product Inbound" on my order. I wanted my speaker in the car before the weekend...Grrrrr!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Patience grasshopper.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Thanks for the link!!!

I've saved this info for further use. I keep my windows down most of the time while driving. I'm sure a replacement in the near future wouldn't hurt.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:54 AM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Xymox
Patience grasshopper.
I have none ....

I guess I wouldnt be so upset, but Morristown Mini and OutMotoring seem to be right on the ball with my orders, and these other two companies are lacking. I actually think I would have been better off putting my ECS order thru Morristown Mini instead, I would have had my parts by now and probably cheaper.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Thanks

Originally Posted by Xymox
BTW, Morristown MINI had OEM R53 air filters for $6.95 last week. However, I think they're now showing $11.00 (still not half bad).
Thanks for the tip Xymox. Based upon the posts I have read by you in the past and the research you have done on this filter, I went ahead and ordered 4 of these. I needed to change out mine and had already figured on spending $50, so with 4 from these guys I spent $56.72 including shipping ($11.88) and insurance ($.84).

Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 AM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lawmann
Thanks for the tip Xymox. Based upon the posts I have read by you in the past and the research you have done on this filter, I went ahead and ordered 4 of these. I needed to change out mine and had already figured on spending $50, so with 4 from these guys I spent $56.72 including shipping ($11.88) and insurance ($.84).
You'll be waiting awhile, I just got an email from them after a week without hearing from them. Their supplier wont have any available until July 1st, then who knows how long before AtoZ recieves them and sends them out.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:01 AM
lawmann
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner
Goodwood, Xymox: A little patience would be appropriate. The answer awaits you both. I've dealt with/sold/installed TYC products for years; mostly in the lighting assembly line, and have yet to be disappointed in their products. Great quality materials and fit and finish. Very little comeback.
They make good stuff.
Hug and make up.
Thanks for the input, I am sure a lot of folks will breathe easier seeing how you have been a customer for a while and are happy.

I am sure if a MINI owner out there gets crappy service or sub-standard quality parts, it will be all over this forum. I will certainly post either way when I get my cabin filters in and install one.

No sense getting worked up over a "maybe", I think we need to at least give TYC a chance here.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
lawmann
You'll be waiting awhile, I just got an email from them after a week without hearing from them. Their supplier wont have any available until July 1st, then who knows how long before AtoZ recieves them and sends them out.
I'll give them a chance, but thanks for the heads-up lordgrinz; I'll keep an eye on the situation.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
I think your sinuses will survive a few more days.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:38 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I ordered one, I'll report my findings when it arrives and I change it.......thanks for the find, Xymox!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Thanks for the input, I am sure a lot of folks will breathe easier seeing how you have been a customer for a while and are happy."
Lawman! Yer being punny, right?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Why spend so much on your cabin air filter? Alternative here