R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Why spend so much on your cabin air filter? Alternative here

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:20 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner
"Thanks for the input, I am sure a lot of folks will breathe easier seeing how you have been a customer for a while and are happy."
Lawman! Yer being punny, right?
More like "corny" I suppose. OK, every all at once: BOOOOOOO!

I guess I better give up trying to be a comedian and keep my day job.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:02 AM
CJP
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Xymox
So it's time for a new cabin air filter, your MINI is beginning to smell like a gym locker room. I pulled my cabin air filter and nearly wretched at the ghastly sight of it. Utterly filthy. FYI, you're *suppose* to change them every 12 mo./12,000 miles.

So I hit the usual MINI places. OutMotoring prefers to charge you $42.95 (which may not even be carbon activated). And MiniMania would like to charge you $56.95 for a carbon activated cabin air filter. Not likely!

I found a brilliant alternative. The site is A to Z Autolights ( www.atozautolights.com ). They carry the OEM replacement made by the company TYC. Not only is it nearly identical to the OEM (3M Company) replacement, but it's carbon activated too! And the cost? $8.31.

Just looking out for my fellow thrifty motorists.
Thanks for the great tip! I ordered one this morning. The price increased a bit - but so has everything else this summer!
Anyone have detailed directions to remove the old one and install this one? I have NEVER done any work on my 2004 BRG Mini before.
CJP

Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TYC made the best tail lights for dodge neons. their quality was better than any other brand. so if that transfers to their filters, i'm sure there will be some happy MINI owners.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:30 AM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Just an update, they must have got a stock of them in, mine just shipped.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
Odd- the maker of the "euro-lights" on my last car- a Honda Accord (don't worry, they actually looked good) was TYC.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
I got confused when installing the filter... How does it fit inside the thing? I know which side should be up and down but how does it curl in there? Can anyone draw me a diagram or something. I made mine look like ( ````:...... ) or something like that. Is that correct?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by donjulio
I got confused when installing the filter... How does it fit inside the thing? I know which side should be up and down but how does it curl in there? Can anyone draw me a diagram or something. I made mine look like ( ````:...... ) or something like that. Is that correct?
1st, get a flashlight, it helps tremendously.
2nd, if you look at the filter there is an arrow that points in the direction and the word "AIRFLOW" you obviously want that arrow facing away from the engine towards the cabin.

The filter actually slides into a track and you push upwards. Push from the outside, not the inside or you'll never get it to slide in place (Yes, this sounds incredibly perverted).

Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
1st, get a flashlight, it helps tremendously.
2nd, if you look at the filter there is an arrow that points in the direction and the word "AIRFLOW" you obviously want that arrow facing away from the engine towards the cabin.

The filter actually slides into a track and you push upwards. Push from the outside, not the inside or you'll never get it to slide in place (Yes, this sounds incredibly perverted).

dang i gotta take it out again, didn't know there was a track

Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Goodwood
That's the problem with cheap imitations, they are often "nearly identical" to the original.

I'm not saying this particular filter is no good, I'm just saying there's no way to know 'til you try it; or until we hear from others who've used it.

Just discovered my daughter's '03 VR/W CVT had NO cabin air filter in it when I went to check it... so, maybe a cheap imitation isn't the worst thing in the world that could happen to you.

On second thought, I guess if the cheap imitation started disintegrating while installed and got filter material all throughout your ventilation system, THAT could be worse than not having a filter.

What to do, what to do?
In all honesty i usually get aftermarket parts for all my cars from reputable company's. You have to remember, the manufacturer dosent necessarily have the best quality, they are concerned with getting the best cost on supplys and sometimes cut corners. so just cause it says mini on it, dosent mean it was worth the extra money.
i replaced my front pads with a set from NAPA that was made in Australia, there cost was 50. but are a better then OEM replacement, and are made of organic materials. (no more break dust)!

Of course this isn't true if you hit the local csk or auto zone and get one of there "made in china" parts.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
and are made of organic materials. (no more break dust)!
While brake dust can permanently discolor your wheels if neglected, it's also good to know some of Germany's best brakers all exhibit large amounts of brake dust. August's Car and Driver (Tech Stuff: The Power to Stop) has an informative read on brake pads. The dirtiest brake pads of the bunch, Porsche and BMW. The best brakers of the bunch, Porsche and BMW. Who manufactures the MINI? Yeah, we know, BMW.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
i like discolored slites

Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
While brake dust can permanently discolor your wheels if neglected, it's also good to know some of Germany's best brakers all exhibit large amounts of brake dust. August's Car and Driver (Tech Stuff: The Power to Stop) has an informative read on brake pads. The dirtiest brake pads of the bunch, Porsche and BMW. The best brakers of the bunch, Porsche and BMW. Who manufactures the MINI? Yeah, we know, BMW.
yes, maybe so,
but the quick stopping has to do with the whole complete system not just the metallic pads themselves. It's the master cylinder pressure,caliper,and caliper pistons,(amount and size), rotor size and design, and pads as a unit.
I still feel the same braking as I did with the factory,if not better, but minus the mess.

just passing on info for those who dont like break dust but still want a performance pad to stop with.
and they were only $50

Last edited by muladesigns1; 07-11-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Bang110
5th Gear
I got a filter from this site also.. Since I got my Mini used I figured I should replace it since I dont know when the last time it was changed.. I will see how easy it is to put in after I get my car from the body shop..

Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 AM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Cheaper Site

Here's another site where it's cheaper: Logical Source

It's $8.31. The other site has gone up to $12. I'm planning to order a couple of these bad boys later today.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniSuperCooper
Here's another site where it's cheaper: Logical Source
Link goes to A to Z Autolights.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:05 AM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
They look the same, but they're different stores. I'm not sure how that works...they both have "A to Z Autolights" up in the corner. Anyway, they have different prices and different addresses.

Here's A to Z Autolights where it's $12. It doesn't really matter where you get it. Either way it's cheap. The $4 difference wouldn't even buy a gallon of gas.

Here's the Logical Source link again.

Last edited by MiniSuperCooper; 07-12-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:23 PM
greenmanalishi
2nd Gear
Just ordered 2!
Thanks for the tip, I had ordered the last one from a sketchy online site and paid $25 or so.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Just ordered 2 as well, ~$28 total (8.31 each + ~$11 shipping). Thanks for the links. How do you guys like them so far?

My choices up to today were.

Dealer OEM- $70+
Rock Auto- Bosch (charcoal) $29 shipped
pepboys- purolator (non-charcoal) $20
Pelican parts- micronair (charcoal) $28.50+shipping
Pelican parts- Helsa (charcoal) $23.50+shipping

Old 07-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by golden_child
How do you guys like them so far?
Just fine. I mean, it's not like a CAI, or a new set of tires. It's a cabin air filter. Know what I mean?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Just fine. I mean, it's not like a CAI, or a new set of tires. It's a cabin air filter. Know what I mean?
I hear ya. I ask because I have never heard of the brand.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by golden_child
I hear ya. I ask because I have never heard of the brand.
No problem. I understand. Ancient Mariner commented he's used the brand (TYC) several times in the past and was impressed with the quality.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive never changed mine... i only drive the car with the window open
on dry days. defeats the purpose of changing it for me.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Davidf
2nd Gear
I ordered one from AtoZ and it took about 4 weeks to make it to my door. At least I got it.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I got mine a while back but haven't had a chance to swap it out yet, the quality looks fine tho. Mine was $19.90 to my door. Good deal compared to OEM cost, that's for sure!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 AM
ajakeski
4th Gear
I ordered one today. $12 for the filter, $9 to ship. Rock auto sells the same one for $17 and $7 to ship. Rock also stocks Bosch and a few other brands.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Why spend so much on your cabin air filter? Alternative here