R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Why spend so much on your cabin air filter? Alternative here

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Cactusflier
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just a FYI for people thinking about these filters. I just got two of these filters and did a install this afternoon. I am very mechanical and have done all the work on my cars for years. The filter is not a direct replacement and took some trimming to fit. The only dimension that is the same is the width. The filter is 5/8 inch longer and 1/8 inch deeper than the OEM filter. The filter is suppose to slide along a channel or guides and the end of the filter slips into a slot in the upper recesses of the box, the other end of the filter seals against the lower passenger door side of the box with about a half inch gap between the filter and box lid. Unless you trim some the filter's plastic frame off to shallow up the depth, it will not slide into the slot and seal. And if you do not trim the length, the filter will bulge down and touch the the box lid, which will render the little bit of filter beyond that point useless. Which brings up the fact it definetly does not have as much area as the OEM filter or the ease of air flow. I knew about the filter area and for the price I was willing to live with that. But to have to trim the plastic frame to make it fit properly, I won't be buying this filter again. Unless I went completely stupid or got a bigger filter, I don't see how you guys are getting a clean intall. Anyway, my two cents and just pisst it didn't work out for me.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cactusflier
This is just a FYI for people thinking about these filters. I just got two of these filters and did a install this afternoon. I am very mechanical and have done all the work on my cars for years. The filter is not a direct replacement and took some trimming to fit. The only dimension that is the same is the width. The filter is 5/8 inch longer and 1/8 inch deeper than the OEM filter. The filter is suppose to slide along a channel or guides and the end of the filter slips into a slot in the upper recesses of the box, the other end of the filter seals against the lower passenger door side of the box with about a half inch gap between the filter and box lid. Unless you trim some the filter's plastic frame off to shallow up the depth, it will not slide into the slot and seal. And if you do not trim the length, the filter will bulge down and touch the the box lid, which will render the little bit of filter beyond that point useless. Which brings up the fact it definetly does not have as much area as the OEM filter or the ease of air flow. I knew about the filter area and for the price I was willing to live with that. But to have to trim the plastic frame to make it fit properly, I won't be buying this filter again. Unless I went completely stupid or got a bigger filter, I don't see how you guys are getting a clean intall. Anyway, my two cents and just pisst it didn't work out for me.
Mine fit perfectly. No fuss, no muss. And several dozen others had the same results as me. Maybe you got a different sized filter.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:06 PM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No fitment problems for my 2002 or 2003 Coopers..

Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
MIne fit fine on my 2005

Old 11-07-2008, 05:25 AM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Can someone explain why the original in the car has no plastic? I had the same experience as CactusFlier and decided not to install the new one, lousy fit and doesnt even barely resemble the original part.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lordgrinz
Can someone explain why the original in the car has no plastic? I had the same experience as CactusFlier and decided not to install the new one, lousy fit and doesnt even barely resemble the original part.
Sounds like you don't have the original air filter. The original has plastic and "MINI" logo embossed on the side of it.

I don't have my MINI anymore or I'd go and take pictures to show that it fits nice and snug.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Cactusflier
2nd Gear
I wonder if some cars have a slightly different filter box. My filter was the orginal and it had mini and various numbers written all over it. But it didn't look anything like the replacement. No plastic frame, all paper or some fabric construction and over twice the pleats. And like l said earlier slightly smaller in depth and length.

Last edited by Cactusflier; 11-07-2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Cactusflier
2nd Gear
I still have my old filter if someone is interested in pics. My advice is check your old filter before ordering. If it has a black pastic frame you are probably good to go, but if no plastic frame you might want to pass. I think it would be interesting for people to check their filters and see how common the non-plactic frame filters are.

Like Lordgrinz, my car is dark silver too. Maybe dark silver cars got the funny filters.

Last edited by Cactusflier; 11-07-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
rdart50
Neutral
I love a bargain...

Hey Xymox,
You rock! Have you ever changed your air filter? I've got an '05 MCS and I just ordered a K&N air filter; wondering if it's something I can do myself (I'm pretty ahndy and I've got tools...)

Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
rdart50
Neutral
Hey Xymox,
you rock! Kinda new here: Just wonderin if you've ever had occassion to change your air filter? I just ordered a K&N air filter and I was wondering if it's something I can do myself (I'm pretty handy and I have tools...although I'm not quite sure what the heck that crazy "star" lookin' screw thingy is...)?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:10 AM
djmatthewcooper
2nd Gear
All i can say is WOW!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 PM
swissarmybottle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rdart50
Hey Xymox,
you rock! Kinda new here: Just wonderin if you've ever had occassion to change your air filter? I just ordered a K&N air filter and I was wondering if it's something I can do myself (I'm pretty handy and I have tools...although I'm not quite sure what the heck that crazy "star" lookin' screw thingy is...)?

Looks like you're thinking of the engine air filter which uses the "crazy 'star' lookin' screw thingy" (torx screw driver bit is needed to work these)....

Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Cactusflier
2nd Gear
Turns out there are two different OEM filter types and two different air boxes. That's why my original filter didn't look like the one talked about here and why it wouldn't fit in my airbox. So look before you order.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 AM
smieska
3rd Gear
Nuts to U

I just came across the post and thought I would check my filter as I had no idea there was such a thing. To my surprise I found more than I had expected. Thanks for the info.

Attached Thumbnails Why spend so much on your cabin air filter? Alternative here-garden-017.jpg  
Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Originally Posted by smieska
I just came across the post and thought I would check my filter as I had no idea there was such a thing. To my surprise I found more than I had expected. Thanks for the info.

Make sure you look around to see where the nesting material was taken from to make sure it wasnt from someplace important.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
DeniseK
2nd Gear
Can we move along to spark plugs now? I'm going to change my plugs. I have Denso Iridium Power IK22 (5310). My questions are these. Do spark plugs come pre-gapped? It it just a straight-forward swap -- take the old ones out, put the new ones in, use anti-seize stuff, hand-tighten and push my wires back on. Oh, I have a MCS 2002. I'm a woman. 65 years old, so go easy on me. No nasty comments.- Thanks - Denise

Old 04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
going easy on ya

Originally Posted by DeniseK
Can we move along to spark plugs now? I'm going to change my plugs. I have Denso Iridium Power IK22 (5310). My questions are these. Do spark plugs come pre-gapped? It it just a straight-forward swap -- take the old ones out, put the new ones in, use anti-seize stuff, hand-tighten and push my wires back on. Oh, I have a MCS 2002. I'm a woman. 65 years old, so go easy on me. No nasty comments.- Thanks - Denise

Pre gapped ... well the factory plug, according to Haynes, is "not adjustable" if that means another is "pre-gapped" is your call.

Hand tighten? You're kidding right? Or have you missed the many many posts of people reporting spark plugs popping out (and in my opinion often Denso but never mind) The factory spec for spark plugs is 20 ft lb.

BTW, modern plugs have a life expectancy of something like 100,000 miles .... you are changing 'cuz of???????

Old 04-17-2009, 04:20 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ordered these cabin air filters a few days ago. They arrived within a couple of days. $14+ for the filters, $11 for shipping. Big savings over the oem filters.

They are well-made. The filtering part itself looked fine and doesn't look or feel like it is going to deteriorate at all.

Thanks for the tip, Xymox.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Samdaman
1st Gear
Just got mine last week and it's a perfect fit for my '04 MCS. Great deal...bought 2 to bring down the cost per each.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:54 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
sweet find im going to order tomorrow : ) thanks

Old 05-07-2009, 04:54 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by smieska

ps: this is insannne!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Just checked the price as my Mini needs one. The price has doubled to $16 (A/C version) since this thread was started.

Wow... did I miss something? Is the economy going through another boom?

Bugger!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 AM
Dustin77327
2nd Gear
I order Mine for Advance autoparts here in houston and it was 13 bucks for the fliter. Its a Purolator filter its a direct replacement Part No. C15537

Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Was just wondering, is it possible to make a permanent filter from material that works like the K&N filters so we could simply spray cleaning fluid on and rinse them out? And yeah, I do have a K&N filter in my engine.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dustin77327
I order Mine for Advance autoparts here in houston and it was 13 bucks for the fliter. Its a Purolator filter its a direct replacement Part No. C15537
Do you know if this filter has the Activated Charcoal/Carbon (A/C)? It doesn't say on their website but from the photo it doesn't look like it has A/C... which is slight gray.

Last edited by Cadenza; 05-13-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Why spend so much on your cabin air filter? Alternative here