R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Where are the oldsters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:50 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are the oldsters?

Just a RANT!!!!

I have not visited NAM in awhile. Where are the oldsters? Us early guys talking smack and wild modders?

Seems like NAM is dying really. Newbees asking a lot like we did years ago and with limited mods for the 3rd gen. It's old hat!

For da newbees I would like to take ya on a run....scare the crap outta ya...and maybe u pee yer pants hahaha ( and wipe yer snotty noses too maybe?). I know us oldsters probably feel the same too.

What has happened to da MINI? Now it is just a status symbol for the yuppies I guess. Oh well.......... go new generation guys...ya don't have a clue what to do....just Motor and Starbucks I guess.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Peters Dad
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Us oldsters are still here and enjoying the new equipment. We've matured enough that we just don't need to talk smack any more and we pass along the knowledge we gained so the newbies can become the oldsters. Mods are typically harder and more expensive now for the DIY guy because of the advanced technologies in cars. There was a day when someone took you for a run and scared the crap outta you too- maybe you're too old and have forgotten. We all have to start somewhere. Are Minis a status symbol? Maybe so but it's a darn fun one to drive. And I think you'd be very surprised that the new generation guys DO have a clue what to do- probably more than you. Stop by a Starbucks sometime- there are nice people there. I do and I'm an oldster.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm still here, AD.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:53 AM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Scare me? LOL The MINI was bought as a gas saver that has a "little" more ooomphh to it, even my jeep is more powerful and quicker than this thing. I'm sure these things can be modded, but I guess I dont see the point. I would rather buy something with power right out of the box, modding has only meant headaches and wasted money in the past.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Tstroh
2nd Gear
I have to say at least being a newb to the mini, I cant tell you how wonderful this site has been, you have young guys trying new things and pushing the envelope, some hate what they do and some think its genius, thats what makes everyones motoring better. We as a group need to keep doing that, having fun and enjoying what you do is what is most important, i dont believe it matters in the least if you are 18 or 80, as long as you respect your car and your other fellow motorers on this site for what they do.

There is so much HELP here it is insane, this site can save a normal guy hundreds if not thousands of dollars on thier car just from some guy/gal they have never seen and maybe never will help them with what ever they need for nothing in return other than being part of the community.

So to the old and to the new, Thank you for making my journey a heck of a lot better, i love my mini MORE because of this site and the people on it.

Last edited by Tstroh; 06-27-2008 at 06:02 AM. Reason: adding the end
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lordgrinz
Scare me? LOL The MINI was bought as a gas saver that has a "little" more ooomphh to it, even my jeep is more powerful and quicker than this thing.
Switch off the DSC. Find some curvy country roads in Massachusetts, and try to keep your foot planted around the bends. That'll get your fear factor up a notch.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes I wonder the same thing. I guess they went to MU, sold their Minis, or just moved on. Nothing ever stays the same. So, when life is good, enjoy it. When it isn't, hang in there.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
I'm still around, but don't post much. Still love my MINI, still having fun driving it. As for the forum, I guess threads like the cabin filter thread that's a little ways down the board kind of sucked the fun out of it for me. Anything (and I mean ANYTHING) posted on forums anymore seems to be met by contrariness and becomes a pissing match, even posts with the best intentions.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:01 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by ArmyDog
Just a RANT!!!!

I have not visited NAM in awhile. Where are the oldsters? Us early guys talking smack and wild modders?

Seems like NAM is dying really. Newbees asking a lot like we did years ago and with limited mods for the 3rd gen. It's old hat!

For da newbees I would like to take ya on a run....scare the crap outta ya...and maybe u pee yer pants hahaha ( and wipe yer snotty noses too maybe?). I know us oldsters probably feel the same too.

What has happened to da MINI? Now it is just a status symbol for the yuppies I guess. Oh well.......... go new generation guys...ya don't have a clue what to do....just Motor and Starbucks I guess.
if you've acted to others on NAM as you've acted here and towards me in threads and PM's, it's no wonder people don't spend time here anymore. Go you!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyDog
Seems like NAM is dying really.
No it doesn't.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:14 AM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys are ALL youngsters.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dansmini
As for the forum, I guess threads like the cabin filter thread that's a little ways down the board kind of sucked the fun out of it for me. Anything (and I mean ANYTHING) posted on forums anymore seems to be met by contrariness and becomes a pissing match, even posts with the best intentions.
Just an FYI, I posted that thread to help forum members--not argue. I didn't have to share my bargain/find, but I wanted to share the savings. I won't lie, being badgered throughout the thread has me re-considering posting the next deal I may happen to stumble across.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:49 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Xymox
Just an FYI, I posted that thread to help forum members--not argue. I didn't have to share my bargain/find, but I wanted to share the savings. I won't lie, being badgered throughout the thread has me re-considering posting the next deal I may happen to stumble across.
Please don't stop posting your finds. This forum has really enhanced my Mini ownership and knowledge. Without every contributor's positive input, my Mini appreciation would not be what it is today. Granted there will always be a cosmic t**d in every punch bowl, but that's easy to ignore. This a great forum and is constantly evolving as do the products and the owners.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 AM
AliceCpr07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
if you've acted to others on NAM as you've acted here and towards me in threads and PM's, it's no wonder people don't spend time here anymore. Go you!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Tstroh
2nd Gear
Mods. Please just delete the people who suck. That should fix it.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xymox
Many people here like me appreciate the posting that you did. It was a great find & very nice of you to let us know about the deal. It's people like you who make NAM a great place to visit. Just because a couple of oldsters aren't happy about the way things things are, don't punish the rest of us because of that. My guess is they will tire soon & go away again.

Sorry you oldsters aren't having fun. A whole lot of us still are.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
javelina1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
No it doesn't.
ditto! not at all.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Re: Where are the oldsters?
We're motorin'! That's what the MINI is all about. And when we're not, we're talkin' about motorin'. This is easily one of the best auto sites on this interwebbery thing, and it's the combination of the young whippersnappers and old geezers, and our common interests that keep it that way.
XYMOX! Don't let one "Boo" drown out the cheers from the rest of the crowd. I, for one, look forward to your posts and the great info and advice you offer.
And, yeah, I'm old. Damn old.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 PM
revray
4th Gear
I would probably be considered old (61) by some, and I was born in the Army and am a retired colonel. But I still manage to love my MINI and NAM, so don't let one old tail wag your dog. NAM is a great community and if he doesn't like it here he knows what to do.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Originally Posted by revray
I would probably be considered old (61) by some, and I was born in the Army and am a retired colonel. But I still manage to love my MINI and NAM, so don't let one old tail wag your dog. NAM is a great community and if he doesn't like it here he knows what to do.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tstroh
Mods. Please just delete the people who suck. That should fix it.
Every time I visit NAM, there is going to be one post that makes me laugh out loud. Today this was it.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
I think the OP was refering to members who joined back in 2002 or 2003.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:27 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by nabeshin
I think the OP was refering to members who joined back in 2002 or 2003.
That's how I interpreted the OP, too. He meant long-time members of MCO/NAM, not folks' actual chronological ages.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:30 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Hello, still here , just don't post much.....

Nik

Old 06-28-2008, 02:37 AM
call it spade
5th Gear
I'm young, and i haven't been here long but it isn't dying to me it seems like. But, then again, i've been here a month. haha
i give respect to those who have earned their gears over the years.

and starbucks for the loss, waste of money

Quick Reply: R50/53 Where are the oldsters?