R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 International Warranty Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008 | 03:14 AM
hanzov69
|
Banned
International Warranty Help

I've used the contact page on the MINIUSA.com site, but in the meantime, thought I might ask the NAM forums..

I bought a 2006 MINI Cooper S from Graham at P&W BMW / MINI in Pittsburgh, PA early in June of 2006.

At the time, I opted for the extended warranty (7yr / 70,000 mile).

Shortly after my first scheduled maintenance on my beloved MINI, I was sent overseas on long term contract work.

Well, After nearly 18 months and no end in sight, I decided to do the logical thing.
I brought my AstroMINI over here. Here being Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

During my absence, a relative cared for Astro, starting him up, taking him around the neighborhood or for groceries, even for an oil change.

While home in February, I took Astro out for a day, but sadly had to leave him behind.

Astro is here with me now, but I have a few problems, and a lot of questions.

1. There is a high pitched (almost metallic) sound coming from under the bonnet when I am moving. If I depress the clutch, it goes away. It's reminiscent of a brake pad that has worn to the metal strip...but it's not.

2. There is a sort of knocking coming from the motor as well.

3. Is this extended warranty a MINI/BMW warranty, or is this a dealer warranty? I don't honestly know (will call and ask them when the US is in normal business hours)

4. Does BMW honor the warranty over seas? I live five minutes from the Abu Dhabi MINI / BMW dealership, but they are closed until Sunday.

I realize that shipping the car overseas is hard on it, and it certainly put it's mark on my interior (insurance is covering the cleaning... )

So, I know I've thrown a lot out there...any suggestions or information?

Thanks a million!

Old 06-27-2008 | 07:44 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
MINI does not sell BMW/MINI branded/sponsored warranties. The 7 year warranty extension you purchased is probably from an US based aftermarket company. You need to go over the copy of the warranty contract but I am 99% positive that this extended warranty is only valid in the United States.

As far as the new car factory warranty (4 years or 50K miles, whichever occurs first) is only valid in the United States and Puerto Rico. Sorry you are out of luck there. No international warranties are given to cars that were originally sold in one specific market and later moved to a different part of the world.

The situation is a little different if you are in the military. For example, if you are stationed in Germany, you can purchase a new US spec MINI and the warranties/service, etc are valid while you are in Europe. When your tour of duty ends, then you can ship the car back to the states and continue to enjoy coverage until it runs out.

I am afraid that any maintenance and repairs from here on will be on your dime.

Old 06-27-2008 | 10:10 AM
hanzov69
|
Banned
I figured as much, and it (obviously) wasn't a deal breaker. Just something worth knowing.

And the extended warranty, for the record, only extended it out to 7 years, so I guess it would really be a three year warranty.

Thanks for the information!

Old 06-27-2008 | 10:34 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
If you won't be back in the states it may be worth inquiring as to whether you can get a refund of the price of your extended warranty, since you won't be using it.
Other than that, good luck getting everything sorted out!

Old 06-29-2008 | 09:35 PM
hanzov69
|
Banned
Originally Posted by misslindsey
If you won't be back in the states it may be worth inquiring as to whether you can get a refund of the price of your extended warranty, since you won't be using it.
Other than that, good luck getting everything sorted out!
You know, it never even dawned on me that I might be able to get a refund on that...

But there is other good(ish) news. It doesn't help me, but it should be worthwhile for anyone else who may end up in my boat...

Hi Christian,

Thanks for contacting MINI. We appreciate your enthusiasm for our vehicles.

Outside the United States, your MINI would be covered by an International Warranty which is valid for two years, unlimited mileage, beginning on the original in-service date of the vehicle. The Full Maintenance program and Roadside Assistance services are only valid within the U.S. and are not available in the UAE.

If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I will be happy to lend a hand.

LET’S MOTOR.

Darlene Hawley
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
866.ASK.MINI (275-6464)
Looks like there is a warranty. Too bad my in-service date was June 8, 2006

Old 06-29-2008 | 10:04 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Abu Dhabi, eh? Isn't that were Garfield wanted to send Odi?

You should change your 'location' from PA to reflect your situation. Have you gone over to Dubai yet? That place is bitchin. (I saw it on TV)

Old 06-29-2008 | 10:07 PM
hanzov69
|
Banned
Yup, Garfield was always trying to send Nermal (annoying grey Kitten) to Abu Dhabi.

I've been here for 18 months, so Dubai plenty of times.
This weekend though...

Jebel Hafeet !

Lots of pictures, I promise.

Old 06-30-2008 | 01:34 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Nermal, eh? Well it was one of his enemies...

Sweet road. I'm sure everyone else is as jealous as I am that you'd get to drive such a marvelous road.

From that link you posted:
(the author is talking about the roads mysterious origin.)
------
Perhaps the real, unspoken reason for the road's existence is to be found a mile from the hotel. There, sitting on top of the mountain, is a huge palace belonging to Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the current ruler of the Emirates. His face also adorns a huge banner announcing the entrance to the road and it's under his watch that it was constructed. This incredible feat of engineering is actually no more than a giant driveway. It's enough to make Bill Gates green with envy.
------

That is the coolest thing ever.

Old 06-30-2008 | 01:35 PM
hanzov69
|
Banned
Thanks...
I would have rather done MOTD though :D