R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 vs R56 interior opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:53 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
When it comes down to it we all love what we own.

Personally, however, I think the later design does not look as good as my 2006 sixties "original" style speedo and switches.

At least to me, the newer center console looks like a seventies and eighties boom box. I think that the sixties retro speedo has the cooler look and sticks to the original idea for it [so the co-pilot in rallies could see it.]

Here is a pic of the newer speedo/console so that members know what the thread is talking about.

Attached Thumbnails R53 vs R56 interior opinion-mini-2007-dash.jpg  

Last edited by MichaelSF; 07-07-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2008 | 01:00 AM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Personally, I don't like the new interior nor do I like the loss of supercharger whine. My Maggie is an 06R53.

However, whenever I'm speaking to someone about MINIs, who is not "in the family" or a MINI owner, I never bad mouth any MINIs. Family problems stay in the Family!! Even then, I don't express my opinion unless asked! Most of the Americans around here are really interested in the Clubman and I push the positive aspects: larger trunk, larger rear leg room, go cart-ability. Guess I should be an MA!!

And that is absolutely the coolest thing about the MINI community: To each their own without rancor or acrimony. Thank ya'll very much!

Cheers!!

Old 07-06-2008 | 05:18 PM
GP0256
|
5th Gear
Thank you all for your opinions. I knew this would open up a can of worms and I have to say, I love things about both cars. I have ridden and driven in all models, s and non-s of all of the new and old MINI's (MINUS THE NEW JCW) and I love different things about all of the cars. I must say, i will be in the market very soon to get a 2006 GP. I know there are only 415 in the US and I have a friend in the UK who might be able to get me a Right Hand Drive GP. I know it is going to cost a bunch extra, but it would be the first in the USA. Thank god for our troops overseas huh? I will keep you all posted. At the very least, I am going to own a US version of the GP and keep it forever. I cannot wait to get my hands on one. Keep the posts coming, all opinions are welcome!

Old 07-07-2008 | 12:57 AM
Ju5tin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Yes that is true, but we still have a cubby under the toggle switches that is missing on the R56.

I'm not bashing R56's just pointing out the somewhat odd to me differences. I hope in a few years that they make a few changes to ease complaints that folks have.

One more thing....

No supercharger whine on an R56.
I totally agree with all you have mentioned. I like the toggle ***** on the R56 with the silver highlights over my R53 black mid section, and the better options with the Ambient lighting, but that is about it.

The Supercharger Whine and Exhaust pops is what switched me for the R53 over the R56. The ride is bumpy, but I'm already used to that with my FTO.

Old 07-07-2008 | 04:20 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I can't stand the fact how they have integrated the stereo and CD player into a custom desgin. It looks rediculous. Sure I will probably get an R56 some day but hopefully after they change the center console design. If not I will learn to like it...

Old 07-07-2008 | 05:26 AM
slickfast
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
I dunno about you all, but I like my interior, on my R63. See below.
I LOVE the stopwatch on the bottom spoke!! I'm totally doing that.

Old 07-07-2008 | 05:42 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Can't please everyone,The R56 is much nicer in ride and toys then the older models, and another reason is the warranty,if you like it or not progress will happen, drive a new one or old one hey its your call....

Old 07-07-2008 | 06:04 AM
p912043
2nd Gear
I just drive my 06 for 3 months, and I really like the interior. May be I am an old school. When I compared the gen2 with the gen1 from the showroom, I feel strange inside the R56, radio is on the speedo & the CD is seperated on the console, the mesh-like wind deflector on the sunroof looks to me very filmzy & actually the one in the showroom was broken already. The contour from the exterior is not as sharp defined like the gen1, you can tell from the bonett... the contour from the headlight to the middle hood. I am not saying R56 is no good, for performance & gas mileage it is better, and the gen2 looks like more modern than classic.

For me, I see two brothers standing together, always the young one get spoiled & beefup. Next Mini I am going to buy will be the gen3 or at least not the 07/08. But I am sure you drive gen1 then you like the gen1 better or you driving a gen2 you definitely happy with your car then the gen1.

Old 07-07-2008 | 06:09 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
The R56 center console makes perfect sense if you use it every day as it's very functional and everything is right where you need it. The integration of radio/CD/bluetooth, OBC and other stuff in the speedo puts that all info right where it needs to be in a very tight little package. All those buttons function differently depending on what mode you are in.

One can get all up-tight on the look of this or that, but I think that's kinda silly....using and having easy access to all this stuff while motoring is what it's all about....and when they can do all that and free up some significant legroom.....well, we really should be thankin' those MINI guys.

Honestly, this reminds me of the blokes who whined about the rearview mirror being too small.

Old 07-07-2008 | 06:14 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
The R56 center console makes perfect sense if you use it every day as it's very functional and everything is right where you need it. The integration of radio/CD/bluetooth, OBC and other stuff in the speedo puts that all info right where it needs to be in a very tight little package. All those buttons function differently depending on what mode you are in.

One can get all up-tight on the look of this or that, but I think that's kinda silly....using and having easy access to all this stuff while motoring is what it's all about....and when they can do all that and free up some significant legroom.....well, we really should be thankin' those MINI guys.

Honestly, this reminds me of the blokes who whined about the rearview mirror being too small.

Yep love the look with navi if i can only get my hands on it.....

Old 07-07-2008 | 06:19 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
if i can only get my hands on it.....
Yeah, how's that goin'??

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:30 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
There are a lot of defining elements of R50/53 that I do like, and moving to R56 took some re-understanding of things. Yes, the downtubes are cool, but since all those bits are supposed to give a roll-cage feel (and scratched easily), I came to consider them faux-ish and non-essential, especially in light of the added legroom in R56...it's a good trade-off.

Same w/ the new radio position. Yes, R56's layout is different, but I too love having OBC and other info available in the speedo and use it all the time. I also like the extra set of toggles up above. I don't have a sunroof, so mine are all for interior lighting. We said we loved toggles, and MINI gave us a whole other set.

The left and right manual climate controls seem odd in R56 as they are mounted as a 90 degree angle to the console, but then again that helps make that added legroom possible, so to me, I see that as a pretty clever thing.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a big fan of both interiors, each for different sets of reasons, and I do not even consider anything particularly a problem. I just had to reconsider things to make room for a different way of understanding the interior design, and in doing so I find that the benefits justify the change.

If I look at all the various car interiors out there, both first and second gen interiors are all extremely recognizable as MINI and very distinct to the marque. The differences are there, but they are not worth getting too dogmatic over.
Extremely intelligent post and well said. Although I like my pure retro speedo [what I call it] you make some excellent points on the new look.

And yes, in the end we are all MINIs, from the same "gene pool" or fruit from one set of loins. So no one should be dissing the brand or other MINIs.

Top secret sidenote: Since we are all in the same MINI family, permit me to say, however, you all are not as handsome or beautiful as I turned out. And I heard dad say to his buddies on the manufacturing floor that I am the favorite of all the sons.

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:45 AM
sequence
6th Gear
I have a 2005 MCS and from day 1 ive HATED the dash downtubes and how they get in the way when the foot is on the gas. that was the numero uno complaint that I had. Im dumping this nightmare for an R56 and although it's not perfect, I still prefer it to R53. Why?

no steenkin downtubes. better seats. ambient lighting. tighter feel and better fit and finish. toggles for everything. English oak. Programability. tilt and tele steering wheel. secret compartment. just more refined across the board.

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:46 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
I like how the center consol is streamlined for my R56 though I miss the funky rollbar look of the R53. And the toggles on top are just fun, gives a real cockpit effect.

And whether it's the R53 or R56 the interiors are just hands-down cooler than most cars out there.

CROC 411

Old 07-07-2008 | 11:29 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Poppa Bear
...whenever I'm speaking to someone about MINIs, who is not "in the family" or a MINI owner, I never bad mouth any MINIs. Family problems stay in the Family!! Even then, I don't express my opinion unless asked! Most of the Americans around here are really interested in the Clubman and I push the positive aspects: larger trunk, larger rear leg room, go cart-ability. Guess I should be an MA!!

And that is absolutely the coolest thing about the MINI community: To each their own without rancor or acrimony. Thank ya'll very much!

Cheers!!
+1

A neighbor that had admired MINIs for years took mine around the block when I got it and subsequently bought an '02 with only 25K miles on it! She loved it, but was often toting 3 kids about and getting them in and out of the back was a pain. So, she sold it and bought a Clubman off the lot. She test drove it, but apparently didn't really pay much attention to details.

I saw her yesterday and asked her how she liked the new car and her first comment was "What the ****** is up with the dash?"

Oh well. She'll get used to it.

Dean.

Old 07-07-2008 | 12:08 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
+1

A neighbor that had admired MINIs for years took mine around the block when I got it and subsequently bought an '02 with only 25K miles on it! She loved it, but was often toting 3 kids about and getting them in and out of the back was a pain. So, she sold it and bought a Clubman off the lot. She test drove it, but apparently didn't really pay much attention to details.

I saw her yesterday and asked her how she liked the new car and her first comment was "What the ****** is up with the dash?"

Dean.
I have always said that most people don't pay attention nor scrutinize cars [and the MINI] like the few members on sites like NAM [yes, we are few compared to how many MINIs are out there.]

At least to me, your post confirms what I have always said.

Not that she did a bad thing [buy the MINI without really looking at it in detail]. She had a main need, space requirements, and the Clubman filled that need.

I wonder if she carted the family on the test drive to see how everyone fit inside.

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:55 PM
GP0256
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
+1

Dean.
Classic Trucker Mouth Comment by neighbor, +1 for her!