R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 is BMWNA sending BMW emails to every MINI owner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003 | 11:59 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I'd be pretty sure that this is like the gift box (w/ the pen, bingo game, etc.) and the t-shirt...all dealer-initiated efforts. It's not that BMW doesn't know about it, but they're not 100% responsible for it.

That said, I agree with some here who've said "so what." I mean frankly, it's totally obvious that the marketing strategy is to get MINI owners to move into BMWs and to stay in the BMW family. While this may not work for you as an individual owner, it clearly is the intention that it work for MINI owners in general...and car companies generally aren't very stupid when it comes to brand marketing. In other words, it probably WILL work. The Autoweek (whatever) data definitely proves they're on the right track, or at least on to something.

And as MINI owners, we'd better hope that it works. If the MINI brand is an end unto itself, then I first off doubt that BMW would have launched it (revived it) to begin with; and if for some reason their strategy were to fail (and a good number of MINI owners do not end up buying more expensive BMW models), then I fear that MINI would eventually fold. I would think that most of us don't want to see that latter scenario. So, even if YOU don't want to run out an buy a BMW, you'd better hope that someone does.

Old 08-27-2003 | 12:18 PM
red03miniS
Banned
>>You know, I got one too... and, and I just don't know what came over me but the very second I saw it something clicked in my head so I ran out to my dealer and traded my MCS for a Bimmer 3 Series...
>>
>>

make sure its teh M3

Old 08-27-2003 | 02:16 PM
rfibanez
Banned
I didnt get it yet, I dont mind if they send this once or twice but if they send something like this all the time I'd get pretty upset. The BMW dealer that my mom bought her BMW from sends a lot of stuff like this, they send us a BMW magazine every month or so which I think is kinda cool...its good reading material while taking a #2

Old 08-28-2003 | 11:49 AM
W3IWI
5th Gear
I got one also. I promptly hit the UNSUBSCRIBE button

Old 08-28-2003 | 11:57 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
that doesn't bother me so much... after all it works the other way aroudn too :smile: I got the HIRE dvd from bmw for free even tho we can't link onto the dvd owner site.

Old 08-28-2003 | 12:06 PM
goin440
6th Gear
I was SPAMMED too. I bought a MINI, not a BMW. (I prefer to walk around without fingers in my @$$--from the vibes and scoffs I got when I walked into the dealer and said "MINI&quot :evil:

Old 08-28-2003 | 12:08 PM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
Apparently you youngsters out there have never owned a true English Auto,driving a true English car is like owning an antique.It's like dating your Grandmother with rickets and bad teeth.I was willing to purchase my MCS because it is owned by BMW.
Those of us who remember the joys of limey car ownership are elated to have our cars serviced at BMW dealerships.
I might be the oldest Mini owner on the website,but Mini owners are young.Many MIni owners will move up,at least in dollars, to BMWs.
BMW has choosen to protect their millions spent on name recognition.They probably think they have spent too much to let every internet parts dealer trade off their name.When people ask me what I'm driving,I tell them a Mini built by BMW.

Old 08-28-2003 | 12:18 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Mike is right,

As MINI owners, we don't have to file an environmental impact statement with the EPA everytime we have a meet, unlike Triumph, MG and Mini owners. But then again, we lose out on the benefits of positive ground, 6 volt batteries, and hand cranks to start our lovelies.

Old 08-28-2003 | 12:24 PM
02s79fj40
2nd Gear
Funny, I sold my bmw to buy my mini. They are totally different.

Old 08-28-2003 | 12:27 PM
skrutzen
3rd Gear
I hardly think that this email is should be considered spam. I personally like the the fact that the car is parented by BMW. Someday, I will drive a BMW....oh wait I already do.

Old 08-29-2003 | 01:46 PM
RaceCarDriver
3rd Gear
>>I bought a MINI, not a BMW. (I prefer to walk around without fingers in my @$$--from the vibes and scoffs I got when I walked into the dealer and said "MINI&quot :evil:
>>
>>_________________
>>-goin440
>>IB/IB MC on 17" Volks

Some people seem to not want to associate BMW with Mini. "I own a Mini not a BMW" There is a lot of BMW in the Mini. Mini's independent rear suspension comes from the 3 series. Bmw's new 1 series (coming out in the next year or so) is on the Mini platform. Mini's North American Headquarters in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey (where I live) is in the same building as BMW's North American Headquarters.

I've owned a 328 and an M3 and yes that are a lot of differences between BMW's and Minis but their are a lot of similarites. The first time I test drove an MCS (and was hooked by the way) I thought it reminded me of the handling of my 3 series (I didn't know about the similar suspension) that I owned at the time. BMW's influence on the Mini is a GOOD thing.

Some BMW owners are probably stuck up but many of us are car nuts and that's why I love both. (I actually like the MCS even better.)

RaceCarDriver

Old 08-29-2003 | 01:51 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I also canned a 3-series to get the MINI; BMW must hate our type

Until they make an //M3 that isn't squishy, they can eat it!

Old 08-29-2003 | 02:15 PM
C4
Banned
The MINI is a BMW, like it or not. If you don't like the association, well tough. Then you can either get an old BMC or Rover Mini or get something else. My MINI has factory stickers all over the car referring to BMW Group AG. Even the serial number starts with 'W' which references the point of origin as "Germany" not "UK".

As pointed out before, the MINI's rear multilink suspension is derived from the BMW 3 series. Most of the safety gear is BMW designed and engineered. The interior trim pieces (Dashboard, gauges, LCD readouts and even the radio) are BMW standard issue. The 4 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty as well as the 3 year/36,000 mile free maintenance is administered by BMW North America. Financing is also provided by BMW Financial services. MINI is a trademark and division of BMW NA.

So I can go on and on and on. It is childish to deny the current MINIs origins. I am proud that BMW is behind this wonderful car. If this car didn't have the BMW engineering backing I most likely would not have bought it.

Old 09-01-2003 | 10:51 AM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
Wow, I am amazed at the number of people who forget that car companies are in the business to make money. If you have read anything about the MINI you would have known that you would be receiving this e-mail and many other promotions in the hopes that you will buy BMW. In any analysis of the MINI Cooper in any magazine they have mentioned BMW’s intent. BMW is not the enemy, they brought you the car you are driving today with one thought in mind, OK two, build customer loyalty and sell you another car. They really don’t care if it is another MINI or a BMW. They would like you to buy BMW, larger profit margin.

The bottom line is they want you to spend money on them and increase their bottom line. That’s all anybody really wants from us when they sell you something. They want you to come back and buy more from them. Wow, capitalism at its best. Why do you think businesses are so nice to you, well, maybe except MINI of San Francisco but they live in another country.

Old 09-03-2003 | 07:18 AM
MichaelD
2nd Gear
Got the damn thing the other day, read through it, sent the fools the 'unsubscribe' message.

I AM aware my MINI has some BMW 'genes'. I have no problem with that; performance, handling, etc. make the MINI a 'sport coupe" as opposed to an 'econobox'. The sad facts [confirmed by personal experience] are that many [too many] Bimmer owners think that ownership of "the ultimate driving machine" confers upon them demigod status. Over the years, I have been tailgated, cut off, and abused time and again by the thunderously arrogant BMW drivers.

I bought a MINI, NOT a BMW and I'm very happy about that.

Old 09-03-2003 | 07:30 AM
Tokio
2nd Gear
I got it. Totally uncalled for.

After the fiasco of the software problems and the antics of BMW in relation to them - I intend to not only Lemon my mini but I am also selling my 540 just so I don't have to deal with BMW any more.

Old 09-03-2003 | 07:43 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Huumm, I wonder if Aston Martin will send me a brochure, as I have owned a Ford F-250 in the past. Now that's up market. Nothing wrong with trolling for a few upmarket seeking owners.

The Good news for us is that MINIs are accepted by the BMWCC, where we regularly kick some @$$ in the club's auto-x competition. Much to the dismay of Thurston Howell III, and his ilk. That my friends, makes it worth the price of a few e-mails. Imagine having a $20k car trounce your $50k "ultimate driving machine".

Muuaaaahaaahhaaaa

Old 09-03-2003 | 08:00 AM
jaydawg
2nd Gear
Got it yesterday. Deleted it yesterday.Then went for a drive in the Mini.
Jaydawg.

Old 09-03-2003 | 09:49 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Not another "A MINI is a BMW! No it's not, it's a MINI!" thread!

How many of you consider a Jaguar to be a Ford. Same dilly yo...

Now, everyone: to your vehicles! Trounce the Germans, I say! Trounce them!

Old 09-04-2003 | 12:26 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>Not another "A MINI is a BMW! No it's not, it's a MINI!" thread!
>>
>>How many of you consider a Jaguar to be a Ford. Same dilly yo...
>>
>>Now, everyone: to your vehicles! Trounce the Germans, I say! Trounce them!

Yeah, I got the same email from BMW. Didn't bother to open it and read it.

Old 09-04-2003 | 12:56 PM
goin440
6th Gear
>>I AM aware my MINI has some BMW 'genes'. I have no problem with that; performance, handling, etc. make the MINI a 'sport coupe" as opposed to an 'econobox'. The sad facts [confirmed by personal experience] are that many [too many] Bimmer owners think that ownership of "the ultimate driving machine" confers upon them demigod status. Over the years, I have been tailgated, cut off, and abused time and again by the thunderously arrogant BMW drivers.
>>
>>I bought a MINI, NOT a BMW and I'm very happy about that.

DITTO [personal experience] . I know MINI has BMW genes, but MINI doesn't share the same personality. Thus my comment "I bought a MINI, not a BMW." I wanted to clarify that.

Old 09-04-2003 | 03:32 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<<Hey Om, you're just kidding about the Bimmer 3-series, no?>>>

Totally serious. My eyeballs are still spinning in that black and white swirly pattern and I've not yet realized the consequences of my actions...

Old 09-04-2003 | 03:41 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Oh, is that the email I trashed, must have been.

Old 09-04-2003 | 04:01 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Here's an e-mail I got from MINIUSA today:

mmmm, mind-meld, mmmm

Old 09-04-2003 | 04:11 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
nope didn't get the email, maybe they know I can barely afford my mini.

Quick Reply: R50/53 is BMWNA sending BMW emails to every MINI owner?