R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Rear fog lights control

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 04:02 PM
Owen#10
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have my Mini S yet, but was wondering where the control switch is for the front and rear fog lamps are located, could anyone with these lamps let me know, thanks

Old 09-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Pebble
4th Gear
hey owen, Fill in your user info and we might know where you are! :smile:

There are differences that affect fog lights between europe and the US.

But I think you'll find the controls on the toggle switches.

Pebble.
:smile:

Old 09-10-2002, 04:57 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
Yup, Pebble is right. The front fog lights are turned on by a toggle switch; believe it's next to the DSC. There aren't rear fog lights, though...just the front. :smile:

Old 09-10-2002, 06:33 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>>Yup, Pebble is right. The front fog lights are turned on by a toggle switch; believe it's next to the DSC. There aren't rear fog lights, though...just the front. :smile:

Yours didn't come with the rear fog lights? I was using mine just today. They work great! They go on by pressing the middle button on the back of the steering wheel, then you click your heels together three times (helps if shoes are reddish and shiney), and say 'there's no car like mini'.... my rear fog lights come on, and in my rear view mirror i can see uncle henry, antie em... there they are now...
With a little imagination, and a free toggle switch, theres really a range of features I have discovered. My favorite is the sushi maker in the air conditioned glove box...

oops way past time for my meds....

Old 09-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Owen#10
3rd Gear
>>>>Yup, Pebble is right. The front fog lights are turned on by a toggle switch; believe it's next to the DSC. There aren't rear fog lights, though...just the front. :smile:
>>
>>Yours didn't come with the rear fog lights? I was using mine just today. They work great! They go on by pressing the middle button on the back of the steering wheel, then you click your heels together three times (helps if shoes are reddish and shiney), and say 'there's no car like mini'.... my rear fog lights come on, and in my rear view mirror i can see uncle henry, antie em... there they are now...
>>With a little imagination, and a free toggle switch, theres really a range of features I have discovered. My favorite is the sushi maker in the air conditioned glove box...
>>
>>oops way past time for my meds....
>>
>> :smile:

Old 09-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Solo
1st Gear

Old 09-10-2002, 08:32 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear

>>O.K. O.K. I know sarcasm when I read it. There are available rear fog lights and I just want to know how to turn them on. The sushi maker must make your mini reek, especially in the summer time. But that's what it's air conditioned for right.

Sorry! I didn't mean it that way, but I can see how you took it that way. I just liked the concept of rear fog lights, and just played with the idea a bit. I wasn't sure that there weren't rear fog lights of some sort (my Volvo had the tail lights come on brighter when I turned the fog lights on), and figured someone would clarify if there was some such feature. I didn't mean to imply anything negative about your post. I think it was a valid question.
By the way, are there some sort of rear fog lights for the mini?

Steve

Old 09-10-2002, 08:41 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Yeah, from what I understand, the rear fog lams are MANDATORY in europe. I may be wrong. The fact that I've never seent hem on a car makes me wonder if the switch doesn't just turn on and off what is soley the reverse lamp in the us? Just speculation, of course.

Old 09-11-2002, 03:30 AM
jsun
6th Gear
The fact that I've never seent hem on a car makes me wonder if the switch doesn't just turn on and off what is soley the reverse lamp in the us? Just speculation, of course.
>>
>>

Doubt it. Just about every import car I've had has had at least one (usually more) "dead" switch positions for options not installed on U.S. spec cars. Rear fogs are mandatory in (new at least) cars registered in europe. They're not required and in fact were illegal in cars registered in the U.S. Volvo, and some other european manufs include them in their U.S. models, but most save the money and don't.

Just like daytime running lights...we'll get them here eventually once the big automakers decide it's cheaper to include them in their U.S. spec cars if they will have to build them into all other cars in the world market.

Old 09-11-2002, 04:23 AM
captnjoe
2nd Gear
No rear fog lights in the USA MINI? Too bad!

I have them in my Land Rover Discovery. They are high up and fairly bright. I noticed that at traffic lights they illuminate the driver of the car behind me quite well. I also noticed that people tend to tailgate less when they are on.

I guess they serve a purpose in the fog too.

Old 09-11-2002, 12:59 PM
justjoe
1st Gear
The rear foglight (one) is a european standard/requirement at least here in Germany, it is a brighter halogen rear tail light for use in the...get this....FOG! It increases visibility from the rear to help reduce those pesky pile ups when driving in the....you guessed it....FOG. The european spec mini is available with a full compliment of toggle switches, and the front and rear foglights are operated by seperate switches. I do not know if you can use the European switch panel to hook up the ralley type driving lights instead of adding the switch under the dash, but that would sure look better than having that one blank switch on the US spec switch panel.
Just my .02

Old 09-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Owen#10
3rd Gear
Drstevenj,
Oh don't worry, I was taking it all in stride, just throwing a little back is all. As you can tell by all th above posts, there is rear fog lights, but not in the U.S. apparently. I seen it in an owners manual but did not say how it works, not being an option in the U.S. I guess would explain why. My uncle in the U.K. has them on his BMW 330 and he turns them on when the person behind him will not turn his brights down, works pretty well in the fog to.
I'm not a big sushi fan, so I think I'll try and work on a SALSA MAKER instead to go the glovebox. What do you think, chips in the ash tray and salsa in the other cup holder will do great, don't you think.
Owen #10

Old 09-11-2002, 08:02 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>> Drstevenj,
>> Oh don't worry, I was taking it all in stride, just throwing a little back is all. As you can tell by all th above posts, there is rear fog lights, but not in the U.S. apparently. I seen it in an owners manual but did not say how it works, not being an option in the U.S. I guess would explain why. My uncle in the U.K. has them on his BMW 330 and he turns them on when the person behind him will not turn his brights down, works pretty well in the fog to.
>> I'm not a big sushi fan, so I think I'll try and work on a SALSA MAKER instead to go the glovebox. What do you think, chips in the ash tray and salsa in the other cup holder will do great, don't you think.
>> Owen #10

Owen #10,

Glad you have a sense of humor too!

I think that in the US where things are so fast paced, we tend not to get much rear fog; mostly just front fog, no time for rear fog to form. Europe on the other hand is slower paced, so they get more of the rear fog. I remember driving in England and putting the car in reverse to parallel park and being engulfed with rear fog-- lucky to have lived to tell about it. I still think they should give the option of the rear fog lights here in the US, what with global warming, we could have rear fog here within the next hundred or so years-- maybe it will be an option on the 2010 mini-- sure glad they kept the windshield wiper on the rear window for the rear rain....

I like your idea about the Salsa Machine!! Since there is this air conditioned glove box, maybe there could be room for a mini blender for the frozen margaritas... don't tell me-- you have a chili pepper red mini with license HOTAMLE... for me, I'll keep the sushi for now, well they are specially made 'sushiminis' -- came as an option in the Condiment Package....

Later on...

Old 09-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Owen#10
3rd Gear
Steven,
I think the margarita machine is the best idea yet. Maybe we could start a Mini with an icecream maker as well, or maybe in the winter we switch to a hot chocolate/cappacino maker I don't think there is enough toggles to handle it though. With all the sushi, salsa, margarita, and icecream, I think that we will definatly have need for rear fog lamps as we will be making our very own rear fog
Bon Apetite,
Owen #10

Old 09-13-2002, 08:57 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>> Steven,
>> I think the margarita machine is the best idea yet. Maybe we could start a Mini with an icecream maker as well, or maybe in the winter we switch to a hot chocolate/cappacino maker I don't think there is enough toggles to handle it though. With all the sushi, salsa, margarita, and icecream, I think that we will definatly have need for rear fog lamps as we will be making our very own rear fog
>> Bon Apetite,
>> Owen #10

Owen#10

Love it!! I think we should write mini about developing this Condiment Package idea. They could have a variety of choices. Heck they could add a little cookie maker in the boot. And we could ask for royalties!!! Probably wouldn't be much-- they could only be mini-royalties (ugh!).
Steve

Old 11-11-2002, 05:37 PM
space
1st Gear
For those interested we have been trying to find out why me can not get rear fogs activated by MINIUSA. All the bits accept the switch to activate them are in place and the code needed for the BC1 to turn the feature on. MINIUSA has had many reasons why we in the US can not have the rear fogs turned on, none of which makes much sence. If your are interested in having the rear fogs activated you should check out this form on the MINI2 site http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=11943
Then go to this site, http://www.petitiononline.com/MINIfogs and sign our petition.

Old 11-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I signed - #99!

This is really more about safety than getting another toggle folks. Read some of the information regarding fog-related accidents in those threads. Scary stuff. BMW and MINI USA should at least give us the option to use them by providing the means necessary to enable them.

Old 11-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
My International Scout had em...

Old 11-11-2002, 06:16 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I hate fog....and driving backwards in it makes no sense to me.

Old 11-12-2002, 01:20 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
I still say forget the rear foggies, and make it a full break light... I know quite a few people on here have done it (including me), and it's nice...

And when the fog is too bad, I always hit my 4-ways... if you can't see that, the fog is the least of your problems...

Rocketboy_X

Old 11-14-2002, 08:42 PM
gerbs
3rd Gear
>>And when the fog is too bad, I always hit my 4-ways... if you can't see that, the fog is the least of your problems...

your hazard flashers can be extremely dangerous in fog, as other roadway users may only see one side of your blinkers and assume you're passing, or turning, or even pulling over to the shoulder

rear fog lamp(s) (or a rear fog lamp... some vehicles, like my 2000 volvo S40 have only one rear fog lamp, located on the drivers side of the rear light display) use a fluorescent bulb (rather than a halogen bulb) in order to assist in illuminating the area behind the vehicle

if you ever do see someone's fog lamp(s) in action (were talking about foggus maximus here), you'll see what i mean by "illuminate"

also, for the people posting about the location of the fog lamp switches, here is an image to point that out for you guys:

- gerbs

Old 11-14-2002, 08:52 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I hate fog....and driving backwards in it makes no sense to me. :smile: That's funny!

Old 11-14-2002, 11:18 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>your hazard flashers can be extremely dangerous in fog, as other roadway users may only see one side of your blinkers and assume you're passing, or turning, or even pulling over to the shoulder

If the fog is so dense that I resort to my flashers, all they see is a big glowing flashing blob...

Rocketboy_X