R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Antifreeze Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Wolfe_13
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze Leak

Ok, I'm not going to post a lot, but have a look at the pictures and throw out some ideas, also what is the part in the first few pictures? Is that the A/C compressor?

I can't see for sure, but it appears that the leak is coming from the top of that unit (because I can't see it dripping from anywhere else). But I also can't think of why, I was sure that Antifreeze doesn't run through the A/C compressor.

Also look at the overflow resivoir and let me know what you think (It is the first time I have looked in the overflow resivoir so it could be old but I'm not sure), my dad hasn't seen it but I was telling him about it on the phone and he is concerned that it might be head gasket or a cracked block

Attached Thumbnails Antifreeze Leak-img_2877.jpg   Antifreeze Leak-img_2876.jpg   Antifreeze Leak-img_2878.jpg  
Old 09-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Wolfe_13
1st Gear
and the resivoir

Attached Thumbnails Antifreeze Leak-img_2880.jpg   Antifreeze Leak-img_2883.jpg  
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, that is the A/C compressor in your first pic.

Looking at the expansion tank in your second post it appears that your car is Cooper and not a Cooper S.

On the Coopers, the water pump is mounted above the A/C compressor. Any of the hoses that connect to the pump, as well as the pump itself, could be dripping on the compressor.

As far as the milkshake in the expansion tank...i've seen cases where the car is not driven long enough to fully warm up and burn off the moisture...other cases involve a cracked/warped head and/or a blown head gasket where the oil and coolant will mix and make that nasty goo.

In the future if you have questions like this please post the year and model of your car as well as the mileage...this makes it easier to provide you with the correct information.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Wolfe_13
1st Gear
Thanks, it is an 03 Cooper with about 130,000 km.

I have a feeling that it is oil in the antifreeze resivoir (I have a 45 minute drive to work so it shouldn't be a case of not warming up), but I'm also hoping that it is old maybe from the previous owner. I plan on sucking it out with a turkey baster or something tomorrow, and draining a little from the rad to see what condition it is in.

Is there an easy way to get a look at the water pump, A/C compresser etc? If I take the right side wheel off is there a panel that comes off the wheel well or anything?

Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 PM
K5Cruiser
4th Gear
Don't worry about your A/C compressor as it has nothing to do with your current problem, that being oil and antifreeze/water mixing. It sounds like you recently purchased the car as you mentioned the previous owner. Don't waste your time sucking out what's in the reservoir, as that is only a small part of what's really going on in your engine.

Your dad is thinking in the right direction. The fact that the oil is in the water, and not just water in the oil, leads me to believe you've got a blown head gasket, cracked head, or cracked engine block. If you're lucky it's just a head gasket. Do a compression check and a leak-down test to determine what your problem is. From there you will be able to figure out what you need to do as far as repairs are concerned. I would suggest not driving your car during this time as lubrication of the crank and rod bearings, as well as everything else in the engine isn't at its peak right now due to the water in the oil.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:35 AM
darksun
2nd Gear
I don't seem to have a leak, but is it normal for the coolant to get low after about 20 000 de KM ? (summer drive) ?

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
I would say after driving for 20,000 km it would get pretty low. Mine kicked the bucket and leaked around 23,000 km.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 AM
darksun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 07BPB
I would say after driving for 20,000 km it would get pretty low. Mine kicked the bucket and leaked around 23,000 km.
So it is normal if i got no leaks, no water in the oil (checked) and no oil in the water (also checked) for the coolant to get a low level after a summer drive ? Also i think i did not close the tank properly and it could have evaporated!

Hope its normal, a bit scared here.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Do the easy things first - fill up the reservoir (with coolant, or distilled water.) If it regularly goes dry, pucker up. If not, breathe a sigh of relief.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 AM
darksun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Do the easy things first - fill up the reservoir (with coolant, or distilled water.) If it regularly goes dry, pucker up. If not, breathe a sigh of relief.
yea i will do that ofcourse, but still got the question. Is it normal to go dry from time to time, or it lasts like 10 years??

Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
I'm puzzled over a couple of things.

First, I have issue with PARTSMAN's comment. Condensation forming that milkshake, mustard (fill in the blank), or whatever you call it, should not happen within the coolant system, it is a sealed system. The condition PARTSMAN is referring to is the condensation problem that occurs within the valve cover on colder days when the MINI isn't run long enough to dissipate moisture that is present in the atmosphere within the engine. You should not see any oil in the coolant in the resevior. Have your MINI checked out. It may be as simple as a head gasket leak and re-milling the head may be necessary; or it may be the head or block is cracked. Has your MINI overheated at any time you are aware of?

Second issue is why is the coolant green? I thought the OEM coolant was blue (it is, this is a rhetorical question). This may have something to do with issue 1. OEM coolant has certain properties critical to the proper operation and cooling of the MINI. Was a coolant flush done without researching this? Don't assume all coolants are the same, they are not. One property of the OEM coolant is that it is not corrosive to the engine, if you have been running what looks like regular Prestone antifreeze in your MINI for an extended period of time, you may have a problem that may be hard to locate if the water jacket has corroded through somewhere. Do a cooling system leak-down test.

The fact you mention a "previous owner" leads me to believe this MINI has probably had the Prestone in it for a while (I am assuming).

I think you have a serious issue here, please have it looked into, we need as many MINIs on the road as possible!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by lawmann
The condition PARTSMAN is referring to is the condensation problem that occurs within the valve cover on colder days when the MINI isn't run long enough to dissipate moisture that is present in the atmosphere within the engine.
That is actually what I was referring to...I apologize for not being more specific.