R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Leema
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I owned a 73 mini clubman as my first car and loved every second of it but it became too much since I was only 17 and the budget was tight. Had many cars over the last 5 years and my last recently was a ford ba falcon Xr6 Ute. Was high powered and fun but never really connected with it. Sold that and decided to go back to a mini, bought an electric blue r53. And I'm in love. I will never sell this car!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 AM
thecoolestthing
Neutral
I own a 2003 Dark Grey R53 with 23K miles on it and i will not sell it unless i get an offer that is what the car costs new.....I'll have it forever. Check it out and you will see why I'm in love with it!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393307...back-coupe-2d/

Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM
oldvet53
1st Gear
so..who is planning on keeping their 1st gen MINI literally forever

I can't afford to feed the '70 429 CJ Ranchero anymore and because of back problems can't ride my Hot Rod Harley and Triumph race bikes any more so the MINI Cooper S is here to stay. Had to get rid of the Ranchero and Bikes several years ago, realy hated to see the 12 Triumph's go. Had everything from '67 TR6's to A TT140 Cafe racer and a TT140 flat tracker both converted back to right hand shift to work in stock T120 "68 frames and and converted to Nikacil race cylinders that weighed 5 lb's. and made from aluminum with hard chromed bores that fit up at .0001" and boosted the compression to 12.5-1 and the last of the Daytona 500's built.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM
MINIFatherFigure
3rd Gear
Location: Perth West Australia in an industrial unit with my numerous cars.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See no reasons to sell any of the 'kids'. R50, R55, E23, E30, E38 and assorted others and yes they all work and are roadworthy. ('E' is BMW see my profile).

Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Ill prolly keep mine for longer than I've had previous cars. Mainly just cause of how much I drive and the negative equity that will incur. So Ill almost be forced to keep it hahaha. Plus I really like the car and there always seems to be something you can do to it. At some point Id like to get a second car for a DD and then just drive the Mini here and there.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Miniman s
3rd Gear
Mine is going to be so heavily modified I will keep it forever.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 AM
bouddha
1st Gear
I will keep it until the end of times, love it too much and started heavy mods on it to enjoy it even more!
This car is here to stay, if I need a more practical vehicle, it will have to be a 2nd car in the garage.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 AM
USCooper
3rd Gear
I'm keeping mine until I total it. Goal is to have it paid off before I have any new members of the family and have to buy an additional "more practical" vehicle.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Debi's Coop S
2nd Gear
I'm definitely keeping our Mini. We enjoy it too much and plus it's paid for.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM
drifter.locus
1st Gear
Beings that I don't get rid of anything and my MINI is one of my favorite cars, I do plan on keeping it forever. 84,000 now with out any problems and hope to reach 250,000 before I need a new engine.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Lilredscoot
2nd Gear
Our 03MCS will stay with us

Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Count me in as one who will keep their Mini forever. I've had many cars over my 69 years and the Minis rate at the top. The Porsche 356's I've owned were fantastic cars and I wish I still had my 59 C. However, I wouldn't own the new Mini (07 on) because of the Peugeot engine and the redo of the front end. I feel they are a step, actually, a leap backwards.
I'm on my 3rd and 4th Mini and my wife drives a 2011 MBZ...I wouldn't trade her even up. These cars are so easy to mod and the 02-06 have a fantastic engine block. I've done quite a few mods on 3 of the Minis I've owned and the more you mod them the more fun they are. They aren't the fastest but they require the driver to be a big part of the "equation" in getting the most out of the available performance, hence the great enjoyment. I feel at some point in the future these little cars will become classics, very similar to the 356 Porsches.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 AM
LethalR53
3rd Gear
I've posted higher up this thread but I'd like to add that I feel like I know so much about the R53 now, almost like I've been studying it by browsing forums, watching video's etc. I know too much about it to just let it go (yet still learning everytime I browse around), my latest find was on a thread titled "supercharger rattle" ever since then I've become a bit paranoid, just waiting to hear that eery rattle :( . Its sad that MINI claim it lasts the lifetime of the car :( I have a 04 R53 , I already have a rattle that goes away everytime the clutch is pushed in,

Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 AM
USCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LethalR53
I've posted higher up this thread but I'd like to add that I feel like I know so much about the R53 now, almost like I've been studying it by browsing forums, watching video's etc. I know too much about it to just let it go (yet still learning everytime I browse around), my latest find was on a thread titled "supercharger rattle" ever since then I've become a bit paranoid, just waiting to hear that eery rattle :( . Its sad that MINI claim it lasts the lifetime of the car :( I have a 04 R53 , I already have a rattle that goes away everytime the clutch is pushed in,
Wait... I have this rattle too which goes away when the clutch is pushed in. The guys at DDMWorks figured that was the sleeve in the clutch assembly (I forget the term- maybe it's on/around the Throw-out Bearing?) that the guys who replaced the clutch on it were supposed to replace but didn't. Just had the supercharger oil changed and such and everything was good with the supercharger...

Edit: Read a thread on this and seems to be pretty benign clutch chatter.

Last edited by USCooper; 01-24-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
I'm getting in new window regulators put in my '03 this weekend.
Both failed within half a week of each other....

I guess almost 10 years out of 'em is not *that* bad, and hopefully the replacements will last as long, or longer.

Still runs like a scalded cat!

C ya,
Dutch

Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 AM
putttn
5th Gear
LOL....they told me I needed to change them too. I pounded on the door and now they work...done that quite a few times and it worked every time. That's just another reason I'll never sell my Mini.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by putttn
LOL....they told me I needed to change them too. I pounded on the door and now they work...done that quite a few times and it worked every time. That's just another reason I'll never sell my Mini.
Ah, the "fonzie" trick.

I've been doing the "fonzie" trick for a couple years now. It's great for getting the window motors to go when the brushes are not making good contact due to all the dust and don't want to, but in this case, it's not the motors. The regulators seized up and you can hear that the motors are still trying to move the windows. Hopefully I didn't strip the drive mechanisms when they seized up. The passenger side made a loud "something attached to the glass broke" kind of noise when it stopped, and every time I open and close that door, the glass sinks a little into the door.

I guess I'll find out on Saturday....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
They aren't the fastest but they require the driver to be a big part of the "equation" in getting the most out of the available performance, hence the great enjoyment.:
+1

Your post brought to mind a a MINI-related quote I saw in the past: "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow."

Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LethalR53
I'm pretty sure I posted higher up on this thread as well. I've got '04 R53 and I don't think I'd trade it for anything. No, it's not the most reliable/durable car I've owned, but it has earned its keep with its driving dynamics as well as its personality.

I have also grown a bit paranoid of the supercharger rattle, but instead of worrying about it, I've been putting money aside every month (basically my old car payment's worth) in anticipation of it failing. There's enough saved up in my MINI's maintenance fund that it will get an 'upgrade' when/if that supercharger dies.

As for the clutch - mine's had a bit of a rattle on cold mornings pretty much since I've owned the vehicle. Every single R53 (with a stock clutch and/or flywheel) I've ever been around had some form of clutch rattle. I really wouldn't worry about that one.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Your post brought to mind a a MINI-related quote I saw in the past: "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow."
Yes, that is a very true statement. There is a short exhileration driving a fast car at top speed and acceeleration but there is something special about driving a well balanced slower car that you have to "work" up to speed. That and the cornering ability of the Minis and 356 is really where the fun begins. I remember my 1st 911 back in 1966, I closed the door and instead of a nice solid "Thud" it was a tinny "Boing".

Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM
wvmtnbiker
3rd Gear
At least a while...

I gotta tell ya, I've owned them all from Corvettes to BMWs to Mercedes, Jags, Triumphs, MGB, Mustang and more. But this is the little car than can. I'll be 60 this year and every time I drive Twiggy, she brings a smile to my face. And being an S really helps the fun factor. My biggest plan is to get Outmotorings recommended power package i.e. exhaust, pulley, intake and more. For around 1200.00 I think it's a good deal.
So how long will I keep her. At least for as long as I can is the best answer I can give here. And hopefully that's for a long time yet. Drive On.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 PM
putttn
5th Gear
+1 to that wvmtnbiker
The more you mod them the more fun they are. The S is great but the mods make you realize there's nothing out there with this kind of "fun" factor.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
Yes, that is a very true statement. There is a short exhileration driving a fast car at top speed and acceeleration but there is something special about driving a well balanced slower car that you have to "work" up to speed. That and the cornering ability of the Minis and 356 is really where the fun begins. I remember my 1st 911 back in 1966, I closed the door and instead of a nice solid "Thud" it was a tinny "Boing".
I agree with that quote too! It explains to some degree why the R53 that I kept forever is now replaced by the R56 "Justa" which I will also keep forever!

Charlie

Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM
NjRugger
Neutral
Have a 2006 MC Convertible with 226K miles. Bought it with 205k in May and already put 21k miles on it. Love that beast! Runs like mad. Original CVT, replaced muffler for the groan and changed trim on rear convertible top recently. Getting ready to replace the starter this week when the part arrives. She is 7 years young and going strong!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 AM
VioletDC
3rd Gear
Me! Me! Can't ever see myself trading *gasp!* Scoopie in 4 anything at this point after almost 7 years! I'd get her a little brother/sister, tho ... should I win the lottery or somethin'!

Quick Reply: R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?