R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minsanity
Condor did us a huge favor doing 1 for the gen1 community. Volume, demand, development costs dictate pricing. $50 over new pump, hoses, fan minus all the worries? Your call. It's a no brainer. I'm just keeping mine til I need it.
By the time you install yours those blocks will be in the $25 range.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
Some have conjectured that the lower steering column might not be up to the
increased effort of manual steering over time. Otherwise, if your arms are up
to the increased effort, I for one liked the feel of manual steering on my old Rabbit,
although it was considerably lighter than the MINI.
If you do a lot of parking lot, parallel parking, and low speed turns, it could get
a little tiresome. There's also the matter of spousal complaints with some owners.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
^Totally agree. I can see Lotus Exige driver would love to have this mod, lighter car and engine sits in the back making the front end even lighter.

Anyhow, Lets get back to the main topic.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
Some have conjectured that the lower steering column might not be up to the increased effort of manual steering over time. Otherwise, if your arms are up to the increased effort, I for one liked the feel of manual steering on my old Rabbit, although it was considerably lighter than the MINI. If you do a lot of parking lot, parallel parking, and low speed turns, it could get a little tiresome. There's also the matter of spousal complaints with some owners.
Not to mention good bye resale value.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors
There’s pretty much two reasons why I won’t do this conversion.

1. The lower column is already known to be a weak link with working power steering.
2. I want the car to appeal to as many buyers as possible if I sell it. I’m sure someone will chime it about the resale already being crap, but it’s trying to find that one buyer who will live without power steering.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
There’s pretty much two reasons why I won’t do this conversion. 1. The lower column is already known to be a weak link with working power steering. 2. I want the car to appeal to as many buyers as possible if I sell it. I’m sure someone will chime it about the resale already being crap, but it’s trying to find that one buyer who will live without power steering.
Exactly, no ones gonna even consider a car without power steering. Won't even be able to sell it let alone take a hit on the price.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
This thread is getting sidetracked by a power steering delete kit ...

This thread is about those planning to keep their 1st gen MINI forever so this is moot

Old 08-03-2014, 06:14 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Remember, the Condor PS delete kit is REVERSIBLE. Temporary or permanent. That shouldn't worry anyone.
This has been better appreciated by those who've gone thru pumps, had leaks, or worse- fire. At $50, It's cheaper than the PS hoses.
Even Way has commonly done his version of this mod.
As for me, I'm keeping my r53 & this kit handy. Don't wanna wait til availability disappears.
now, on to regular programming.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 AM
skinnywillie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper For Ever

I own Three Mini S 2003, 2009, 2014. Just can't see my self with anything else. 121,000 miles on the 2003.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:30 PM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
So for those swearing in keeping thier first gen, what parts are you hoarding as back up?

I myself have two superchargers, one extra engine and transmission.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by miles_miles7
So for those swearing in keeping thier first gen, what parts are you hoarding as back up?

I myself have two superchargers, one extra engine and transmission.
I have my original supercharger that I pulled at 190,000 that I need to send in for a re-build, and um.... thats it. My second supercharger has over 147,000... maybe I should get that done soonish

Nik

Old 08-05-2014, 03:35 PM
edgy
3rd Gear
I have a 2008 Clubman S and a 2002 MCS. The '02 R53 makes me smile every time I see it. It is a daily driver (wife has the Clubby) and since I've put the majority of the 98K miles on the car myself (along with a lot of upgrades) I'm at a loss to imagine what I would settle on to replace it. I'm thinking ahead to the supercharger replacement - I've already replaced the clutch once. I could replace the exhaust at some point. What keeps me going is knowing how much a new one would cost and how little it would resemble the experience and knowledge I have of the state of my '02.

My only fear is that I'll be t-boned at an intersection and that will be the end of it. I am nearing retirement and think this is going to be a wonderful hobby car as long as there are parts that can be obtained to keep it running.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:38 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xsmini
I have my original supercharger that I pulled at 190,000 that I need to send in for a re-build, and um.... thats it. My second supercharger has over 147,000... maybe I should get that done soonish

Nik
Holy hell... that is awesome that you have a Mini with 337k miles on it. Have you done any modifications to the car or is it just plain stock?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DRoc7822
Holy hell... that is awesome that you have a Mini with 337k miles on it. Have you done any modifications to the car or is it just plain stock?
Just a few.... Alta CAI, Alta 15% reduction pully, ATI, 2% oversize crank pulley, plug wires, coil, M7 DFIC, Alta exhaust, Alta control arms, Web Motorsports swaybar, M7 coilovers, M7 strut brace, Forge coolant tank... Probably more that I can't remember right now. Saving up now for a head and cam

Nik

Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
DATBILLO
2nd Gear
Just a few?

Old 08-25-2014, 04:18 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
11 years old and running strong...

Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 PM
tmors424
2nd Gear
There’s pretty much two reasons why I won’t do this conversion.

1. The lower column is already known to be a weak link with working power steering.
2. I want the car to appeal to as many buyers as possible if I sell it. I’m sure someone will chime it about the resale already being crap, but it’s trying to find that one buyer who will live without power steering.
Ok so this is a thread about keeping a 1st gen Mini forever and your response is about resale value? I don't get it...

Old 08-25-2014, 05:10 PM
00Mini
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm gonna do my bestest to keep my 03 S in the forever column.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tmors424
Ok so this is a thread about keeping a 1st gen Mini forever and your response is about resale value? I don't get it...

I’ve owned a lot of nice cars that I’d said I’d keep forever, but life is way too short to own the same car forever. This is not a 32 roadster with a flatty or a Pur Sang Bugatti.

With that said I maintain my MINI like I’m keeping it forever. I’m sure in a year or two it will be kicked down the road, but it’s going down the road better than I got it.

I'd honestly be pretty impressed if anyone in this thread owns their R53 5 years from now.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’ve owned a lot of nice cars that I’d said I’d keep forever, but life is way too short to own the same car forever. This is not a 32 roadster with a flatty or a Pur Sang Bugatti. With that said I maintain my MINI like I’m keeping it forever. I’m sure in a year or two it will be kicked down the road, but it’s going down the road better than I got it. I'd honestly be pretty impressed if anyone in this thread owns their R53 5 years from now.
Well said. Our R53 means a lot to us. We bought him when my wife and I were just dating for an epic cross country road trip. She has a special place in her heart for him. He isn't worth much now a 2003 with exactly 100,000 miles as of last Friday so we always rationalize it as why not just keep him (given we wouldn't get that much money). Time to enjoy him, time to repair him, availability of parts, the interest and money to invest in parts will some day wane. We will try to hold on but when and if the day comes that the engine gives up...will anyone here really plunk down $2k-$5k on a new motor vs. the more practical approach of just investing that $5k in a newer car? I would like to think that my new son and I might someday rebuild him...a long daddy/son memory.- but I've never rebuilt or swapped an Engine...Maybe this will be the first.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
If love to literally keep the car forever, but I don't think I'll have the funds to able to store it and upkeep it.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm planning on keeping Ollie as close to forever as possible. Currently, he's a 2012 build 2003 MCS with 168,800+ miles and still (knock on wood) running strong. My Mr. just traded in his 12 year old Jetta at 270K, so we have a ways to go to catch up with, and ultimately outdo, him. :P

And honestly, I just don't know what else I would drive. I'm not a huge fan of the new, bulbous MINIS. There has been some discussion of an Abarth, but that's about it . . .

As for hoarded parts, I've only got a couple spare window regulators and an amp. Livin' on the edge.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 AM
mrhumph
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an R53 and an R55

Now that the next generation is out the decision about what to do long term gets even more tricky.

I really hope my R53 holds together. It is my DD. I have poly bushings and most of the stuff that hold back wear and tear on the factory specd stuff. I keep the oil changes up and I have a great relationship with the dealer service team. I know one of the service managers personally and he has advised me to keep the old one as it will be far less trouble than the R55 long term. Ominous no!

So what has happened to the R53 since I got it. Well I got a new water pump, and thermostat as the old ones failed. I had a power steering pump fail and that pissed me off as it was too new to be covered by the famous recall. That's it really. Soon I will need new brakes but maybe that's an excuse for something trick.

I got the R55 for one of my kids as she inherited my old R50 when I got the S. Then the CVT on that car started to go a bit weird and before it failed I traded it in for a Clubman S. ( yes I have had three Minis )

I drive the R55 seldom, but when it is going it goes so well. In Auto cross shes kicks my butt in that car. But she has had problems.

We had the Turbo water pump replaced in that recall.
I had the turbo oil line replaced cuz it failed.
When we got it from the dealer I had them replace the hood scoop and install heat shields as it had melted from the turbo heat.
Under warranty we had the engine water pump done as it failed.
We had the intake valves walnut blasted.
I am on the second Oil catch can hoping we dont have to have it blasted again.
The timing chain tensioner has been replaced.

Some of that was warranty some was out of pocket. It has definitely been more expensive and spent more time in the service bay.

Of the two it is a hard call. When its working the Clubman is just as or even more fun to drive as it has more torque and that funky over boost feature. It is more roomy. But the engine is not really sorted out properly. It was a rush job when BMW dropped the tritek engine in a hissy fit as they will not play with that "other" German car company. The turbo heat problem is made so much worse by the tiny engine bay. What were they thinking!

The R53 is a solid reliable car for me. And I can put in aftermarket stereo stuff with great ease and have done. Trying that in the Clubman is a task I will not even contemplate. ( I am an engineer )

The other side of that was I have had the opportunity to drive some fun loaners when the Clubman is being worked on. Last time it was a JCW Roadster S. I liked it.

That Roadster was a blast. Even more fun and in sunny weather, what can I say. I am seriously thinking about when they start coming off leases around here. It is really noisy though. The convertible top keeps the wet off but near loud traffic the stereo cannot be heard. Not really well sorted for a top and it has the same powerplant as my R55.

So in the end the old R53 will probably stay with me until I destroy it somehow. I can still do lots of upgrades. I plan to.

Now we have three cylinder BWM engines with turbos in the justas for this year. The most interesting thing there is that is basically the same motor as is going into the new BMW i8. In that it is like 225 hp. So why the 2 liter turbo in the new S? Just put that i8 motor in there. Weighs less takes up less space in the engine compartment. The aftermarket will have fun with that I tell you.

So will I keep it forever? I hope to. If I break it I may just find another R53. Maybe a JCW yah thats the ticket.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM
edgy
3rd Gear
I started writing this and then lost the draft! Maybe this version will be shorter!

My 2002 R53 is within 500 miles of turning 100,000 miles. I've put 68K of them on myself and have loved every one of them (except for the ones with the clutch out, the power steering out, and the cooling fan out.)

The question to keep and maintain this car indefinitely has crossed my mind a few times. I keep coming back to the uniqueness of the 2002 R53 compared to the evolution to the F56. Having just driven the new one, I'm impressed, all right, but I came away thinking that it isn't the same, raw driving experience I love in the 2002. They've smoothed out a lot of the thrill of the MINI and made a lot of it so nice that I wouldn't dream of touching anything like I have with my car.

The question is how much would an engine rebuild, new supercharger, new exhaust, new suspension, and a new paintjob cost (and I don't need to do any of those at this moment) compared to the $35K a new, tricked out F56?

I'm thinking it would be a lot less money to take care of my own ride and it will always be iconic. I know the new MINI is very nice. But I don't think it will enjoy the loyalty that the older MINI's seem to have.

If the body is good, the interior isn't torn up and if the engine has been maintained (mine has) it's easier and a lot cheaper to tweak the performance and handling of the paid off 2002 than to accept the refinement of the 2014. And a lot cheaper to license and insure.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:24 PM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
edgy - you could not have said it any better.

I have an 06 MCS JCW just rolled 119k and have upgraded and updated everything pretty much list goes on and on from engine to suspension car runs like new... and it puts a smile on my face every single day.
its really not worth it getting rid of an R53 it is the best Mini out of the bunch...especially for modding...I plan on doing a full motor rebuild once it goes but until then ill be driving and smiling :-)

Quick Reply: R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?