R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:18 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Gafer
I'll admit, have heard the exhaust, it's pretty great off the bat. I need to do something with my stock exhaust, want to get somewhat louder than stock, but not too much.
check this out, give it a listen, might be what your looking for.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...st-thread.html

Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors
check this out, give it a listen, might be what your looking for.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...st-thread.html
Thats a pretty nice sound, but I feel it might drone on long trips..

Old 02-18-2015, 12:42 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
The last time I posted on this thread was in 2008. Last week, I have officially owned my MINI (since new) for 10 years.

Claim to fame would be taking a gunshot on the strip in Las Vegas while attending AMVIV.

Beken's life story in pictures

And we continue to motor on....

Old 02-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by beken
The last time I posted on this thread was in 2008. Last week, I have officially owned my MINI (since new) for 10 years.

Claim to fame would be taking a gunshot on the strip in Las Vegas while attending AMVIV.

Beken's life story in pictures

And we continue to motor on....
Crazy! That's something I hope never happens to my Barnaby! Glad everyone is ok, how many miles you got on yours now?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Fourflys
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like this thread. I'm thinking about getting a Mini as something fun after I leave Alaska this summer and have been very hesitant due to the perceived poor reliability I keep reading about. I'm a huge fan of the R53 vs. the other minis.

Reading through this thread makes me think while some people have had some issue, many others have not had anything major.

I think I'll be looking for an 05/06 MCS!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fourflys
I like this thread. I'm thinking about getting a Mini as something fun after I leave Alaska this summer and have been very hesitant due to the perceived poor reliability I keep reading about. I'm a huge fan of the R53 vs. the other minis. Reading through this thread makes me think while some people have had some issue, many others have not had anything major. I think I'll be looking for an 05/06 MCS!
You won't be disappointed. I'm a 06 MCS owner!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:24 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Fourflys
I like this thread. I'm thinking about getting a Mini as something fun after I leave Alaska this summer and have been very hesitant due to the perceived poor reliability I keep reading about. I'm a huge fan of the R53 vs. the other minis.

Reading through this thread makes me think while some people have had some issue, many others have not had anything major.

I think I'll be looking for an 05/06 MCS!
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have a '04 R53 and my sister has a '06 R53. We're both in Alaska. My cousin in California has a '05 R53. None of us have had any major issues. I think the R50/53 MINIs are among the most bulletproof of the MINIs.

What part of AK are you in? I'm in Kodiak.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Fourflys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have a '04 R53 and my sister has a '06 R53. We're both in Alaska. My cousin in California has a '05 R53. None of us have had any major issues. I think the R50/53 MINIs are among the most bulletproof of the MINIs.

What part of AK are you in? I'm in Kodiak.
I'm Kodiak as well... I think I work with your relative in the clinic...

Old 02-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I had a insurance adjuster tell me my MINI is on its last leg because it has 125,000 on it I just looked at him and laughed. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about...SMH

Old 02-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Willy_sa
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wrongly sold my first MINI to a guy that didn't know what he bought. I promised myself that I would buy one again one day. Last year November I bought a R53 again. This time in JCW trim. I will never sell it.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Willy_sa
I wrongly sold my first MINI to a guy that didn't know what he bought. I promised myself that I would buy one again one day. Last year November I bought a R53 again. This time in JCW trim. I will never sell it.
I guess you lucked out in the end I was on the receiving side of a MCS 2006 FULLY LOADED with every option that was babied by a elderly couple and they thought there were selling a regular cooper for $5,100

Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm keeping mine forever. R53 115k miles.

I'm thinking of getting a cheapo commuter to prevent adding 80 miles a day to the mini. I could enjoy the mini more on weekends, or only drive it to work in the summer.

I'm thinking of getting the door dents and rock chips fixed, but I heard that repaints will not last as long or be as good as the original paint. Any thoughts on this? When is it time to repaint, as opposed to living with the chips on the hood and front bumper?

Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AlexQS
I'm keeping mine forever. R53 115k miles.

I'm thinking of getting a cheapo commuter to prevent adding 80 miles a day to the mini. I could enjoy the mini more on weekends, or only drive it to work in the summer.

I'm thinking of getting the door dents and rock chips fixed, but I heard that repaints will not last as long or be as good as the original paint. Any thoughts on this? When is it time to repaint, as opposed to living with the chips on the hood and front bumper?
I had a TON of rock chips on the hood none on the bumper, and then got into an accident. They just repainted the whole new front end and I am looking into the clear 3M bra option for the hood because everyone is right the amount of clear coat they put on a second time is NOTHING compared to factory. I am too OCD to live with anything wrong lol

Old 03-03-2015, 03:08 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll be keeping my '05 MCSa for as long as the crap Aisin 6-speed keeps working. I have replaced the valve body that causes the issues, but still have a bit of hard shifting tho. If the tranny grenades, then I'll cry cause I'd know what the poor guy's fate will be... Besides that, I love the car and get a smile EVERY time I drive it, although I do have a lot that needs done before I can dig him out of my garage for a drive again... I have front-end damage from a head-on accident which means a new hood, hood hinge, headlight, grille, bumper, radiator support, fog light, turn-signal light, and possibly a bumper reinforcement bar (depends if the old one can be bent back and welded). I also need four new tires, a wheel alignment, new bushings, struts, and strut mounts, and a new A/C compressor for those hot Mississippi summers... All of this totals around $4500. I can do most of the work myself and I am willing to do so for my Bernie because it's been a great car so far. Bern's been there for me, so I gotta be there for ole boy!

Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BernieCoop
I'll be keeping my '05 MCSa for as long as the crap Aisin 6-speed keeps working. I have replaced the valve body that causes the issues, but still have a bit of hard shifting tho. If the tranny grenades, then I'll cry cause I'd know what the poor guy's fate will be... Besides that, I love the car and get a smile EVERY time I drive it, although I do have a lot that needs done before I can dig him out of my garage for a drive again... I have front-end damage from a head-on accident which means a new hood, hood hinge, headlight, grille, bumper, radiator support, fog light, turn-signal light, and possibly a bumper reinforcement bar (depends if the old one can be bent back and welded). I also need four new tires, a wheel alignment, new bushings, struts, and strut mounts, and a new A/C compressor for those hot Mississippi summers... All of this totals around $4500. I can do most of the work myself and I am willing to do so for my Bernie because it's been a great car so far. Bern's been there for me, so I gotta be there for ole boy!
Sorry to hear about your accident, the same thing happened to me and I was heartbroken last month...Do you know how to figure out what transmission is on my MINI? Also I am trying to figure out if I have the LSD installed or not? I have a 06 r53 automatic but don't know anything beyond that..

Old 03-07-2015, 08:28 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Sorry to hear about your accident, the same thing happened to me and I was heartbroken last month...Do you know how to figure out what transmission is on my MINI? Also I am trying to figure out if I have the LSD installed or not? I have a 06 r53 automatic but don't know anything beyond that..

The short answer is no.

Here's a link to a great writeup by Blimey:

http://www.*******.com/forums/cooper...ld-thread.html

replace the ****** with "motoring" and "alliance" all one word don't use the quotes.

Last edited by cerenkov; 03-07-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The short answer is no.

Here's a link to a great writeup by Blimey:

http://www.*******.com/forums/cooper...ld-thread.html

replace the ****** with "motoring" and "alliance" all one word don't use the quotes.
It wouldn't work for me at all. I think its so funny this page doesn't allow other forum links..jealousy is a ugly trait

Old 03-07-2015, 09:36 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Yes it is stupid.

Try googling: motoring alliance automatic transmision rebuild thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Yes it is stupid.

Try googling: motoring alliance automatic transmision rebuild thread
Found it, thanks! Did you rebuild yours or are you just waiting?

Old 03-07-2015, 12:17 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Oh gosh no, I have a 2013 with only 20,000 miles (same transmission) but I found the rebuild thread when I was looking for the torque rating for the transmission (which I have yet to find a definitive source) but I'm now getting ready to change the fluid.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Oh gosh no, I have a 2013 with only 20,000 miles (same transmission) but I found the rebuild thread when I was looking for the torque rating for the transmission (which I have yet to find a definitive source) but I'm now getting ready to change the fluid.
I dont think the fluid has ever been changed in mine and its got 125K, I should prob do that soon huh!

Old 03-07-2015, 02:14 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
I dont think the fluid has ever been changed in mine and its got 125K, I should prob do that soon huh!
Definitely get that fluid changed. MINI claims that it is "lifetime" fluid, but their definition of lifetime is a shady one... Trans fluid should be changed every 50-60000 miles. Minimania has the correct fluid, although eBay always has it cheaper.

Mine failed at 90k and once I did research on the issue, I found that the reason the Aisin fails is because of the added heat from the supercharger destroys the aluminum ball bearings inside the solenoids of the transmissions' valve body. Replaced the valve body with an updated version from RevMax which includes SONNAX parts, but the old valve body took a toll on the rest of the trans. A rebuild kit would fit the bill, but most transmission shops that REFUSE to work on these transmissions because they are a monster to deal with and I'm not sure if I'd be up for the task. Maybe someday...

And if you have paddle shifters, then you have the Aisin.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:16 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Thanks, although the accident was my fault. Was in a hurry to get back to class from lunch and jumped out into traffic and threw caution to the wind. But now that I am graduated and will be making a paycheck soon, I'll have the ole boy back on the road before too long.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BernieCoop
Definitely get that fluid changed. MINI claims that it is "lifetime" fluid, but their definition of lifetime is a shady one... Trans fluid should be changed every 50-60000 miles. Minimania has the correct fluid, although eBay always has it cheaper.

Mine failed at 90k and once I did research on the issue, I found that the reason the Aisin fails is because of the added heat from the supercharger destroys the aluminum ball bearings inside the solenoids of the transmissions' valve body. Replaced the valve body with an updated version from RevMax which includes SONNAX parts, but the old valve body took a toll on the rest of the trans. A rebuild kit would fit the bill, but most transmission shops that REFUSE to work on these transmissions because they are a monster to deal with and I'm not sure if I'd be up for the task. Maybe someday...

And if you have paddle shifters, then you have the Aisin.
Ohhh well I guess I do have the Aisin then because I have the paddles. I was under the impression that the 6 speed was much better than the CVT transmission.

I think with that being said I will be changing the fluid here soon, is that something I should have the dealer do, or do it on my own??

Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
The Aisin is a decent transmission, the bad part is MINI stating that the fluid is lifetime. Bunch of hooey.

Quick Reply: R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?