R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 AM
AlaskaBimmer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm a new mini Owner in Alaska, with an 06 factory S JCW although my mini is still in Texas until May when my in-laws are going to drive it up....Since I've never actually driven a Mini I'm actually looking forward to it getting here. I don't usually buy a car without driving it myself first, and I've never bought a car that I have never driven any example of... I know it won't be as fast as my E36 M3 sedan that is not drivable since my MIL backed into it in the driveway, but it'll be more go cart like to drive I'm sure....

It has had thousands of dollars in maintenance done with the most recent being the power steering pump fan, lines and reservoir just a few months ago. The PO got it cheap at auction about 3 years ago and then spent 4k right away to fix all the common mini problems that led it to the auction block. My FIL spent about 40 minutes reading the repair file to me over the phone....I'm thinking that a good thing with these cars since that means I won't have to fix it.....

I tend to hang onto cars and not get rid of them if they aren't just a run of the mill DD, I have a BMW 81 323i baur topcabriolet (my favorite car), a BMW 98 M3 sedan(was my auto-x car), a BMW 91 535i that doesn't run and will need to go away...and a 2000 Lexus RX 300 DD. My wife sports an 05 Acura MDX.....I also have a 78 Itasca 27ft class A RV...

The 525i will have to go away since I can only park 5 cars inside and that one takes up a lot of inside space....

I already have my auto-x Tires (ZII star specs) sitting in the garage waiting for the car to get here. It has some 550 tread wear all season yokohama's on it that will be terrible for auto-x. I plan to get another set of wheels next year and run the yokos as a daily tire and save the ZIIs for auto-x. Tires are cheaper than the M3 for this car at least....

Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The Aisin is a decent transmission, the bad part is MINI stating that the fluid is lifetime. Bunch of hooey.
Ok good, so if I changed the fluid then I shouldn't worry too much about it?

Old 03-08-2015, 08:42 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Ok good, so if I changed the fluid then I shouldn't worry too much about it?
Yep, no more than any other transmission.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Yep, no more than any other transmission.
Thats what I like to hear! Thanks!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:02 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm keeping my little Mini, as long as he doesn't attempt to kill himself again.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Coming up on 10 years of ownership and we just did a bunch of work to it to make it almost like new again. Spent too much money doing fun things to it and there's way too many good memories with the car. There is no way my wife would ever giver MINI up.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:31 AM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered my 06' MCS from the factory.

I've had to rebuild my motor once (Spun Bearing), I'm on my second clutch... ACT w/ Flywheel still running like a champ after 110K miles (Yes, really). My suspension is shot to hell... going to rejuvenate that when I get the chance.

I'm at 130K Miles and everyone who knows me... knows that the day I stop driving my MINI is the day that it goes out in a blaze-of-glory on the racetrack.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I just hit 131k this week and will be ordering tires next week. Also a whole suspension refresh is coming soon! Hope to get another 130 out of my Barnaby

Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
I've got around 134,000 miles on my R53. I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon. There are so many OEM and aftermarket parts available for them, I don't see why I would ever get something else. If there was something out there comparable to it....I might consider it, but so far...I haven't seen anything.

I love the look of it, I love the handling, I love the brakes, I love the SC whine, and I love the power (although it could always have more)

Old 08-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
I've got around 134,000 miles on my R53. I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon. There are so many OEM and aftermarket parts available for them, I don't see why I would ever get something else. If there was something out there comparable to it....I might consider it, but so far...I haven't seen anything.

I love the look of it, I love the handling, I love the brakes, I love the SC whine, and I love the power (although it could always have more)
I hear that, its the perfect daily driver with a little kick when needed. I plan on keeping this baby until I finish school esp since hes all paid off!!

Old 08-16-2015, 03:37 PM
etonnemacher
1st Gear
My 03 cooper has over 210K miles on it and runs like a top.......just started doing mods....

Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by etonnemacher
My 03 cooper has over 210K miles on it and runs like a top.......just started doing mods....
Is it an S or a Justa? Also what type of stuff have you done to keep it till 210?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:46 AM
etonnemacher
1st Gear

Is it an S or a Justa? Also what type of stuff have you done to keep it till 210?
Its a Cooper (justa LOL) - I purposefully bought the cooper cause the S models have higher maintenance - i wanted a fun to drive, great gas mileage and reliable vehicle - apparently I succeeded!

I've done the following -
1 transmission
2 clutches
2 sets of axles
1 alternator
steering pump

then its just been maintenance - had to replace a strut housing about a year ago... I take it in every 6 months or so to have it checked over / fluid change if needed etc... I haven't done the math to determine what my monthly outgoing is but its really not about that anyway.....

Last edited by etonnemacher; 08-17-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 AM
FatherG
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
in the last month...
new shocks/struts/mounts
front axles
clutch
bushings

A/C next...

I'm not sure if I'm keeping my Mini, or my Mini is keeping me...

Last edited by FatherG; 08-17-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if I'm keeping my Mini, or my Mini is keeping me...[/QUOTE]

I've had those exact thoughts!!

Old 08-20-2015, 03:05 PM
1der
1st Gear
I plan on motoring with my 2005 MCSa for the rest of my life! She got a new transmission last year and is waiting for the passenger seat mat recall. She also needs to have the passenger door lock fixed. Good thing I rarely have a passenger in her! She will be 10 years old on Sept 16 and we have motored about 94,000 miles together.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
After I got my Mini on Air...and this low

I looked at my wife and said....how could we even sell it it's too perfect now!

Mini owner until I die...not the car

Old 08-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
After I got my Mini on Air...and this low

I looked at my wife and said....how could we even sell it it's too perfect now!

Mini owner until I die...not the car

That thing is sick! Looking awesome

Old 08-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
That thing is sick! Looking awesome
Thank you
That means a great deal. I don't have to tell you how much work goes into making the Mini of your dreams but its always worth it when someone likes your hard work.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
Thank you
That means a great deal. I don't have to tell you how much work goes into making the Mini of your dreams but its always worth it when someone likes your hard work.
No problem, I know passion in a project when I see it and thats a nice looking ride. Keep up the good work. I like also how you kept the stock rims!

Old 08-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
No problem, I know passion in a project when I see it and thats a nice looking ride. Keep up the good work. I like also how you kept the stock rims!
Haha they're one of a few sets I have for the Mini. Much appreciated m8

Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by etonnemacher
Its a Cooper (justa LOL) - I purposefully bought the cooper cause the S models have higher maintenance - i wanted a fun to drive, great gas mileage and reliable vehicle - apparently I succeeded!

I've done the following -
1 transmission
2 clutches
2 sets of axles
1 alternator
steering pump

then its just been maintenance - had to replace a strut housing about a year ago... I take it in every 6 months or so to have it checked over / fluid change if needed etc... I haven't done the math to determine what my monthly outgoing is but its really not about that anyway.....
I am guessing this is a manual transmission? I got the automatic so I don't know how that will pan out...

Old 08-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Caton Brough
1st Gear
2005 r53

I've had my mini for a year and a half. I love this car. I did get a rougher one with 131k for $6,800. I've had to replace the following:
1. Head Gasket & spark plug tube seals
2. Wheel hub bearings X2
3. Spark plugs NGK & wires 8.5 mm
4. Screaming Demon Coil Pack
5. K&N filter for stock air box
6. 15% Alta pulley
7. ATI Super Damper Crank Pulley
8. Front engine mount OEM
9. Front inner and outer ball joints
10. Front upper and lower end links

I now have 161k miles the engine is going strong and so is the SC. As of yesterday I need to replace the power steering pump. I knew I had leaks in apparently all three lines. (Dealer) my mechanic said it was just the high pressure hose and the return line. It's going to be roughly $1,800 to repair. I also need a new A/C belt tensioner. I'm also thinking about SC maintenance. All in all I think I'm looking at about 3k in total.

my front lower H/K speakers are shot. My navigation screen has some dark lines running through it. Front two seats need to be redone as well. Paint & front bumper cover repair. Another 4k.

eventually engine and S/C replacement. 9K.

All in all reality is staring to set in. It's going to take 16 to get this car looking and running new again. I'm leaning on the side it's worth the money. What do you all think? the most fun I've had driving and I know my cars isn't maxed out on performance upgrades by any means. I could only imagine if I added further mods to make the car faster. Headers, exhaust, CAI, larger injectors, shocks, sway bars, way stiff package, etc.
This car could be amazing and a life long keeper.!!!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Caton Brough
I've had my mini for a year and a half. I love this car. I did get a rougher one with 131k for $6,800. I've had to replace the following:
1. Head Gasket & spark plug tube seals
2. Wheel hub bearings X2
3. Spark plugs NGK & wires 8.5 mm
4. Screaming Demon Coil Pack
5. K&N filter for stock air box
6. 15% Alta pulley
7. ATI Super Damper Crank Pulley
8. Front engine mount OEM
9. Front inner and outer ball joints
10. Front upper and lower end links

I now have 161k miles the engine is going strong and so is the SC. As of yesterday I need to replace the power steering pump. I knew I had leaks in apparently all three lines. (Dealer) my mechanic said it was just the high pressure hose and the return line. It's going to be roughly $1,800 to repair. I also need a new A/C belt tensioner. I'm also thinking about SC maintenance. All in all I think I'm looking at about 3k in total.

my front lower H/K speakers are shot. My navigation screen has some dark lines running through it. Front two seats need to be redone as well. Paint & front bumper cover repair. Another 4k.

eventually engine and S/C replacement. 9K.

All in all reality is staring to set in. It's going to take 16 to get this car looking and running new again. I'm leaning on the side it's worth the money. What do you all think? the most fun I've had driving and I know my cars isn't maxed out on performance upgrades by any means. I could only imagine if I added further mods to make the car faster. Headers, exhaust, CAI, larger injectors, shocks, sway bars, way stiff package, etc.
This car could be amazing and a life long keeper.!!!
Honestly this is just my opinion but I think dropping 16k into a car with 160k already is a little crazy. I love my mini and it only cost me 5200 plus about 2 in parts and its mint. But if my car needed 16k I think I would just got and buy a new one haha IMO

Old 08-24-2015, 12:24 AM
JPMontes3
1st Gear
I've had it few months now and I plan on keeping it long after I pay it off and start saving up for a new car to help preserve my mini and turn it into a sweet weekend car

Quick Reply: R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?