R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003 | 05:23 PM
miniblues
|
4th Gear
I have had my shares of rattles. Now 23 K miles and over a year, 2002 model. The rattles have definitely gotten worse at 20K plus miles. Fortunately the sun roof rattle has been fixed (twice), the rear hatch rattle fixed, the driver door rattle fixed, the passenger window rattle fixed...but now I have a dash rattle which is driving me crazy. It is a high pitched rattle from the plastic dash closure around the speedo. It is off and on, but now mostly on. Service has tried twice to fix it, to no avail. Seems like the silver plastic cover is separating and needs to be taken off and reattached.

Anyone experienced this rattle and if so was it fixable? What did service do to fix it? If I can't get this fixed, then this will be the rattle that broke the Camel's back...lol !

Fun car, but definitely not BMW build quality, hope they keep improving as time goes on, sounds like the 2003 have better quality except for of course the dreaded stumble which I gave up on months ago....

appreciate any response from other dash rattlers :smile:

Old 09-17-2003 | 08:59 AM
Nolan
2nd Gear
blues.................why don't you trade that POS in for a rattle free car....go test drive the Infinity Coupe or new RX 8.....you won't miss the MINI at all, both cars are solid, rattle free with terrific build quality compared to MINI's....plus either one will both blow the doors off a Works for about the same price...lol !

PS...I owned an MCS for almost a month....great idea by BMW, but terrible & sloppy execution on the finished product

Old 09-17-2003 | 11:09 AM
miniblues
|
4th Gear
wow....not exactly the advice I was looking for, anybody have something a little more constructive and positive :smile:

Old 09-17-2003 | 02:56 PM
SSRgeoff
1st Gear
Not really advice since I havent gotten that rattle yet. But I do have the one in the trunk area which drives me crazy. It was there the first week and I am still dealing wiht it. Did you find out that fix?

Old 09-17-2003 | 02:59 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Can you tell me how the rear hatch and sunroof rattles were fixed?

Old 09-17-2003 | 03:13 PM
cparmley
1st Gear
Have not had the sunroof rattle, but had the rear hatch rattle - delear fixed twice - but came back.

The hatch rattle is usually due to excessive play between the d-hook and the locking mechanism.

About a month ago, I wrapped duct tape to the middle part of the d-hook - rattle appears to be banished for good.

Old 09-17-2003 | 03:19 PM
XAlfa
Banned
I've recently passed 20k as well and the car is definitely beginning to loosen up in unpleasant ways. I've noticed a few new rattles in the interior and am getting some new vibrations from the drivetrain, especially in lower rev range. Kind of what I expected, but still disappointing.

She's brreakin up cap'n!

Old 09-17-2003 | 03:25 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
I had the boot rattle creep up but fixed it with some tape around the D hook. It seems to be fixed as it has not came back in 1500 miles of rough roads.

I did have a rattle in the glove box, but it was traced to someone putting loose change in there. Took out 3 dimes, 1 quarter, and 4 pennies. Rattle gone.

Old 09-17-2003 | 03:38 PM
miniblues
|
4th Gear
Can you tell me how the rear hatch and sunroof rattles were fixed?

The rear hatch...service took the hatch apart and fixed the locking mechinism the 2nd time, been solid ever since.....the sunroof rattle came from the front part of the roof which they took apart and fixed the 2nd time, so far also solid.....

the dash rattle is the one driving me crazy....ever hear of harmonic vibration, that what it sounds like, it won't rattle at all, then after driving for like 30 minutes, it starts and just goes crazy vibrating in a steady stream...if I press on the dash hard around the speedo, it will stop, only to return.....same with the door pulls, but not as bad, the driver door rattle turned out to be the window going off track, but passenger door has its own tune.....I'm scheduled to take my car in for a look, but afraid it won't rattle on a quick test drive and I'll get the "we couldn't find any rattles on the drive"

This one I can hear even with the stereo going :smile:

Old 09-22-2003 | 12:03 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about your dash rattle in your MINI. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI and please mention Reference # 1-102331560 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 09-22-2003 | 02:36 PM
Davis
Neutral
And half the fun.

>>blues.................why don't you trade that POS in for a rattle free car....go test drive the Infinity Coupe or new RX 8.....you won't miss the MINI at all, both cars are solid, rattle free with terrific build quality compared to MINI's....plus either one will both blow the doors off a Works for about the same price...lol !
>>
>>PS...I owned an MCS for almost a month....great idea by BMW, but terrible & sloppy execution on the finished product

Old 09-29-2003 | 01:27 PM
rswordes
Neutral
I've got a 2003 S with the same intermittent dash rattle now and a passenger door buzz. Both go away when you push on them. Car's going in on Wednesday for its first service (11,000 miles). We'll see what they do. It also stalled out on me yesterday in neutral at a light, has intermittent times where the DSC and run-flat lights come on for no apparent reason and don't go off, and had a short in the wire to the battery which it took Irvine (CA) Mini 4 days to figure out. Love driving it but the annoyances are mounting. I'll let you know what they do about the rattles.

Old 09-29-2003 | 06:38 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
I have had dash rattles. Mine sounded like a wood pencil kinda rolling in place. Took to the dealer and they fixed for free. Now, some 10k later, I'm hearing it occasionally. My MCS is about due back for service in, so I'll have them take care of it again. Not a big deal for me, as long as they can fix it and it's free.

God speed.

Old 10-03-2003 | 09:17 AM
rswordes
Neutral
Per my earlier message, took my 03 MCS in for first service 2 days ago (Irvine, CA). Reported the passenger door buzz, dash rattle and boot lid rattle. All 3 were fixed (new side door panel, took dash apart and added a piece of felt above speedo/nav module, and realigned and tightened boot lid). They gave me a loaner for the day (no, not an MC, a Hyundai Elantra with no rattles but no fun) and washed the MCS before giving it back to me. I'll hope this takes care of it (at least for now). No doubt they had seen the problems before. Good luck to all.

Old 10-03-2003 | 10:07 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion

>>the dash rattle is the one driving me crazy....ever hear of harmonic vibration, that what it sounds like, it won't rattle at all, then after driving for like 30 minutes, it starts and just goes crazy vibrating in a steady stream...if I press on the dash hard around the speedo, it will stop, only to return.....same with the door pulls, but not as bad, the driver door rattle turned out to be the window going off track, but passenger door has its own tune.....I'm scheduled to take my car in for a look, but afraid it won't rattle on a quick test drive and I'll get the "we couldn't find any rattles on the drive"

I hate dash rattles. They are the enemy :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Old 02-25-2005 | 07:02 AM
mikihasa
2nd Gear
anyone with advice for fixing rattle in a 2002 cooper sunroof?

it emanates from the front, inside where the controls are that open the roof

i can make it stop by opening the roof a crack, but that doesn't work for michigan winters

i love my car

Old 02-25-2005 | 07:26 AM
RR|Suki
2nd Gear
I'm still laughin at the guy who thinks a rx-8 or a g35 will blow the doors off a works mini... wow that is really funny to me... but maybe it's just me... g35 60 time is like 7 seconds buddy and the rx-8 is 6 some... that's MCS times, not works, oh and the mini handles circles around them... back to the point at hand. Call that number from the miniusa guy, they care enough to have a rep on here call the people

Old 02-25-2005 | 07:46 AM
mikihasa
2nd Gear
personally, i couldn't care less whether or not my doors get blown off...i just want to stop the rattle

i will call the 866 number while i rattle my way to chicago today...thanks

Old 02-25-2005 | 07:53 AM
LagunaSol
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nolan
PS...I owned an MCS for almost a month....great idea by BMW, but terrible & sloppy execution on the finished product
Whoa, a whole month? I'm going to you with all my MINI questions from now on!

Old 02-25-2005 | 09:28 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniblues
wow....not exactly the advice I was looking for, anybody have something a little more constructive and positive :smile:
Could be where the downtubes come into contact with the dash, rite next to the radio. Insert some felt there and see if it helps. Jimbo

Old 02-25-2005 | 05:15 PM
MeeneeBoy
3rd Gear
Re: New Rattle

Hi Blues,

Just got back from Long Beach Mini/BMW to have my "brand new" dash installed/replaced. Took my '05 MCS home last month when she had only 12 miles on the speedometer and ... with the dash rattle noise (at 55 MPH Freeway speed.) Well, the warranty covers that. Yours is 2002 & you posted this thread since 2003, I hope by now you've already got it "fixed".

Yes, it's a fun car, but if BMW won't get rid of these problems then it's gonna change consumer's point of view! From what I was told by their mechanics, MINI always have rattle noise here & there "all the time". Guess there were many complains already ... We are not alone!

Still keep my fingers crossed :smile: