R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Where it stands...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
nethack
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where it stands...

So, now that my Cooper S is coming up on its three-year anniversary I thought I would reflect on what a fine experience this has been:

1. When the car was picked up some interior plastics were damaged: warranty work. Car lost for two days.

2. First service. Lost car for two days.

3. Broken right-front engine mount: warranty work. Car lost for three days.

4. JCW package (+brakes, +strut brace) installed: elective work. Lost car for a week.

5. Second service. Lost car for two days.

6. Passenger side vanity mirror broke: warranty work. Lost car for a day.

7. Cracked wind shield: warranty work. Lost car for two days.

8. DSC and Check-Engine light comes on: warranty work. Lost car for SIX WEEKS
8a. Visit 1 - Replaced DSC, problem returns: Lost car for three days
8b. Visit 2 - Replaced Plugs and wires, problem returns: lost car for three days
8c. Visit 3 - Pull head and find valve seat defect: lost car for five weeks

9. (today) Oil light comes on and oil pressure gauge (chrono pack) drop to zero: warranty work... probably. Will lose car at least the weekend I've been told.

10. Just added (later this day) for your dinning and dancing enjoyment: glove box appears to be broken and the lumber support for drivers seat is now apparently broken

11. Just added (since yesterday): the clutch is being replaced under warranty... I guess the "honk" was too much for them. Will get the car back NEXT Wednesday.

12. Seat ordered... I'll have to bring the car back when it comes in.

With only a few months left of warranty I'm really looking forward to the next big problem.

All this being said this is still the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. But I do have to say that I owned a Jeep Wrangler Sport for seven years and never had a problem. That econ-box that I drove before the jeep never had a problem. Don't get me wrong I love my Mini, but it sure is a cantankerous beast: I really don't know if I'd buy one again.

Especially NOT from Mini of Mountain View!

Just had to get this off my chest... sorry for the rant. Peace!

--Nethack

Last edited by nethack; 10-24-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Additions and minor puntuation fixes.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM
03BRG
4th Gear
Wow they should be making the loan payments for that much time!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
I haven't had the problems you have had, but I have had my share. I've got about 3k left on my warranty and every day I wait for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't get rid of it after the warranty runs out or hope for the best. The dealer is 120 miles away and there is no one in my area that I would trust to work on it.I love driving it and I've never had a car that was as much fun and brought as much attention as my MINI. I'm just not sure what to do.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:20 PM
im1hapa
2nd Gear
I'm sorry that you've had so many issues with your Mini. It is disheartening to lose it for more than a day. At least living in the Bay Area, there is a selection of independent shops who do good work for Minis...should you decide to keep it past the warranty period.

I've had my '05 JCW for almost 3.5 years, and with the exception of a faulty throttle valve, the warranty work has only been relegated to the known issues (i.e. thermostat, motor mounts, clutch, etc.). I'm just keeping an eye on issues as they arise, and if the actual repair bills accumulate to going over $1500 - $2K in a one year period, I'll consider getting something new.

Oh, and unless you got really deep pockets...stay away from SF Mini as well...they quoted me $195/hour for their labor charges (3 months ago). Thank goodness for warranties!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I just hate hearing stories like this. Damned depressing.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:17 PM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are going to keep it, you might want to consider buying the Mini extended warrantee while it is still under warranty.

Hearing stories like this gets me paranoid.

A few days ago I saw a light on in the dash and felt nauseous! It turns out I turned off the DSC by accident. I had never touched the DSC button before. Whew... I dodged a bullet. I equate lights on in the dashboard with $$$.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:15 PM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Don't fret.

I bought an '02 MC this summer and in the first 5 weeks I owned it I had it FIVE DAYS. It was in the shop, at the BMW dealership and a MINI dealership all the rest of the time. At the third flatbed to MD, the dealership traded the car for the '03 MCS I now have and I did not lose a dime.

Praises to Bobby Rahal Honda; that guy and his managers know how to put together an organization that puts customer's first.

BTW, I have had a number of extended warrantys and NEVER lost $$ on them. Hi-cost used cars like the BMWs and such always pay to have the extension.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Myke@RPI
4th Gear
42k miles on my car... bought it at 29k miles with a salvaged title no warranty and no problems(knock on wood) and its modded

Old 10-28-2008, 03:40 PM
nethack
3rd Gear
Update...

Well, everything is now fixed. I must say that the clutch has never worked better. Needed a new oil sensor too. Glove-box and seat where replaced. I have the car back... but for how long I wonder?

I already have an extra year of service, but I'm now considering extending the warranty: about $1,500.00. I really hate to give Mini any more money or time. I have some not so pleasant choices coming up.

Maybe I'll give up practicality and exchange the Mini for a Lotus Elise...

Old 10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
SteveB625
4th Gear
Buy a Yaris